MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

15 hours ago, benpc21 said:

I remember hearing years ago it was about once a month. I'm sure that varies by team and some players who like them more often and other who like to stay pat. 

Edit: Just got a response from a buddy of mine who is an equipment manager for an MLB team and he said it varies from player to player, but it probably averages every 6 weeks. He said he's done it before where he tried giving them new hats once a month and he got some resistance from players having a lucky hat or just got the one they had they way they like it.

Thanks, this is the best answer I've ever gotten. I always figured it varied but I didn't know if there was some kind of protocol like each player gets a new cap per week or month or something more specific. Thanks again.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/21/2016 at 11:03 AM, Bouj said:

Today on Uni-Watch, a couple of readers sent in some info on the postseason caps with the New Era logo.  It's not stitched into the hat.  It's more akin to a patch, like the Chromaflex postseason patches.

Is it possible that is being done to get rid of existing stock before manufacturing ones with the logos stitched on? I have no idea if that is easier for a manufacturer than stitching them onto the existing caps they have on stock

mets.png

1 hour ago, erlovepuck said:

Is it possible that is being done to get rid of existing stock before manufacturing ones with the logos stitched on? I have no idea if that is easier for a manufacturer than stitching them onto the existing caps they have on stock

That's my suspicion.

1 hour ago, erlovepuck said:

That was my thought as well. They have been stitching the logo for over 15 years now, adding the patch allows them to move what would otherwise be deadstock shortly.

SEAsig.png

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Padres are probably right now working very hard to pick out of a hat what they're gonna do next year. I'm sure the entire organization is excited.

Actually, maybe they should become the Oregon of MLB. If they bring back every uni they've ever worn, they may be the only team that can actually wear a different uniform for every series during the year.

Looks awfully similar to Michigan's M. If they're expecting that "M" to stand alone on a cap, they're going to find lots of casual fans and outsiders confusing it with the Michigan cap.

The dimensions and colors, while slightly different, are so close that Michigan would have have a legitimate copyright infringement case, if they wanted to pursue it.

2473_michigan_wolverines-alternate-1996.

It was said a few days back how in 2017 the Marlins have to find ways to honor two things, the All Star Game and the 20th anniversary of their first championship. Now they have a third. Clearly one is more significant than the others but from a design and asthetics perspective they have decisions to make. I'm interested to see what they do.

32 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It was said a few days back how in 2017 the Marlins have to find ways to honor two things, the All Star Game and the 20th anniversary of their first championship. Now they have a third. Clearly one is more significant than the others but from a design and asthetics perspective they have decisions to make. I'm interested to see what they do.

ASG patch on the blank sleeve.

For a memorial patch, you could either have text below either the ASG patch or the fish patch(see Tom Clancy patch)orioles14-mcfarland-glovejpg

Or you could do the memorial logo on top of one or the other.

20th World series anniversary isnt something important at all, to be honest, and shouldnt be celebrated outside of a weekend or two of throwbacks if at all. No season long patch

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

The memorial patch could go on the chest as well.  Some teams have done that.  We'll get to see today.  No doubt they'll have something on the uniform from tonight through the end of 2017 for JF.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I think we'll see an ASG patch and a memorial patch but not a 20th anniversary patch. What hasn't been mentioned is they also have a logo sleeve patch. My guess is ASG on the opposite sleeve, and as Bouj suggested, a memorial patch on the chest. 

The 20th anniversary of a world championship shouldn't get a patch to begin with, so the problem is easily avoidable from the start. But why not a simple, tasteful black armband? To me, it's the most solemn and respectful tribute possible. If they want, they can even stitch a small white "16" on the armband (this would also allow the tribute to be visible on the black jerseys).

Archived