TVIXX

MLB Changes 2017

Recommended Posts

Mlb.com has an article with Stroman talking about these briefly and it says there will be "red vertical stripes" on the pants for these unlike last season when they wore plain white pants with the red jerseys. Now does red vertical stripes mean piping or pinstripes? I know pinstripes seem like a drastic assumption but why say vertical stripes for piping when they could have said piping or a stripe along the leg or something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Mlb.com has an article with Stroman talking about these briefly and it says there will be "red vertical stripes" on the pants for these unlike last season when they wore plain white pants with the red jerseys. Now does red vertical stripes mean piping or pinstripes? I know pinstripes seem like a drastic assumption but why say vertical stripes for piping when they could have said piping or a stripe along the leg or something like that. 

Because he's not a uniform guy and such terminology might not be something he is used to saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phutmasterflex said:

Because he's not a uniform guy and such terminology might not be something he is used to saying. 

Stroman didn't say it, the author of the article said it when describing the new uniforms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Padres CMO talked about the new uniforms:

 

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/sports/consistency-padres-uniforms-inconsistency/

 

It's ridiculous nonsense. 

 

Yeah I mean I don't disagree that the uniforms are "traditional" but they're pretty lame. They don't have to go brown to have a good uniform, hell they had a good uniform with the blue and gold in 2016 and they dumped it for no apparent reason. That said I like his response on having the Military Sunday, brown on Friday and the 90's style on Wednesday. I mean he's right that they're all popular. What I don't get is why they don't use one of them as the basis for the primary uniforms, particularly the 90's style blue and orange or the brown Friday. It's clear the home/away unis are NOT popular. So why not use one of the popular unis as the basis for the home/away. I mean the 90's style would make a great home with either it's existing wordmark or the current one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Yeah I mean I don't disagree that the uniforms are "traditional" but they're pretty lame. They don't have to go brown to have a good uniform, hell they had a good uniform with the blue and gold in 2016 and they dumped it for no apparent reason. That said I like his response on having the Military Sunday, brown on Friday and the 90's style on Wednesday. I mean he's right that they're all popular. What I don't get is why they don't use one of them as the basis for the primary uniforms, particularly the 90's style blue and orange or the brown Friday. It's clear the home/away unis are NOT popular. So why not use one of the popular unis as the basis for the home/away. I mean the 90's style would make a great home with either it's existing wordmark or the current one.

The Padres FO keeps talking about tradition and keeps neglecting the look that Gwynn, Hoffman and the franchise's best single team wore. Which is made doubly strange by the fact that it's in the current rotation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Stroman didn't say it, the author of the article said it when describing the new uniforms. 

My point still remains. The author said it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They might as well have just put CANADA on the jerseys in place of BLUE JAYS. I actually think I would've given these more of a pass had they done that. If you're going to be #canadasteam, you might as well go all out with it rather than just half assing it. I'd say they 3/4ths assed it, and it just comes across as groan inducing and annoying. 

 

Also, I know the leaf is traditionally supposed to be red, but I kinda feel like it should've been white. Or in the very least, give the cap a white front panel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

They might as well have just put CANADA on the jerseys in place of BLUE JAYS. I actually think I would've given these more of a pass had they done that. If you're going to be #canadasteam, you might as well go all out with it rather than just half assing it. I'd say they 3/4ths assed it, and it just comes across as groan inducing and annoying. 

 

Also, I know the leaf is traditionally supposed to be red, but I kinda feel like it should've been white. Or in the very least, give the cap a white front panel. 

A white front page el would have made the most sense. As this is a CANADA in your face set, the white front panel would look like the flag and fit in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BrianLion said:

We GET it, you play in Canada.  You literally have a maple leaf embedded in your logo for this express purpose. 

 

We really need the Expos to come back, if for nothing else but to reign in the Jays' unabashed "Canadianism" 

 

I don't hate the Nationals using the flag-logo alternate. I don't think it's particularly well done, but they play in the nation's capital and are named the Nationals, so it's not out of place. Plus, they rarely wear it, and it's better than the awful red jerseys which they wear all the damn time.

 

But for the Blue Jays, this makes zero sense. It's unnecessary, has nothing to do with their identity, and they will wear it once a week. Was there a clamoring among the fans for a red jersey? Probably not. But worse than just wearing a red jersey and hat, they're both horribly done. They could have made an attractive jersey which featured red and, you know, their primary color, but they chose not to. Making the logo monochrome red is inexcusable. The hat is laughably bad. The S&S caps teams are forced to wear every year are crap, but at least they feature the teams' logos! This hat has literally nothing to do with the team, and won't be recognized by anybody outside of this message board as a Blue Jays hat. This hat would be a boon for local value stores and gift shops selling nearly-identical reproductions, except I don't think anyone will actually want to buy this hat. Lots of American kids will inadvertently get a Blue Jays hat as a gift when their parent comes back from a business trip to Toronto, but that's the extent of this alternate's success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

CANADA in your face

 

"Katy Perry said she got a diamond Rolex." 

 

"That's because she let me CANADA in her face." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BrianLion said:

We GET it, you play in Canada.  You literally have a maple leaf embedded in your logo for this express purpose. 

 

We really need the Expos to come back, if for nothing else but to reign in the Jays' unabashed "Canadianism" 

 

("rein in")

 

Right.  Also, it's particularly odd for Toronto to position itself as representing all of Canada.  Toronto is the New York of Canada, the city that the rest of the country loves to hate, to call "elitist", and to accuse of not understanding the heartland.

 

57 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

 I know the leaf is traditionally supposed to be red, but I kinda feel like it should've been white. Or in the very least, give the cap a white front panel. 

 

Both of these ideas are excellent.  I don't see how the team could have overlooked something so perfect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Golden One said:

From the homepage since it doesn't seem the whole thing is in this thread

 

Blue-Jays-Red-Uniform-full-590x583.jpg

If the Blue Jays would have just placed their regular logo on the jersey, it would have been so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-01-18 at 1:01 PM, daveindc said:

 

I never understood why they went with purple to begin with when a team in their own division already wears it. It wasn't unique at all. It just looked like they just lazily threw two trending colors together. The Sedona red and teal makes them unique and they totally own both colors at the moment. I wish people would just forget about the purple.

Kind of hard, given the whole "they wore it when they won one of the more exciting Game Seven's in World Series history" thing.

 

11 hours ago, The Golden One said:

From the homepage since it doesn't seem the whole thing is in this thread

 

Blue-Jays-Red-Uniform-full-590x583.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Kind of hard, given the whole "they wore it when they won one of the more exciting Game Seven's in World Series history" thing.

 

By that logic, the Cubs should wear their blue alt permanently. I think the throwback is good enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, daveindc said:

 

By that logic, the Cubs should wear their blue alt permanently.

Don't they do that anyway? :upside:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at it again, and on the mannequins in that pic above... the uniform is beautiful. I don't think too many of us are arguing that it's an ugly uniform.

 

But a white panel on the cap and the Blue Jay being blue would have been a thousand times better and it would have still looked great. It's basically as simple as that.

 

I wanna see a mockup of those edits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Golden One said:

From the homepage since it doesn't seem the whole thing is in this thread

 

Blue-Jays-Red-Uniform-full-590x583.jpg

This shows why that mlb com article used the term vertical stripes for the piping. Since the middle of the piping is white in a way the piping looks like two parallel red lines. Almost like it's two thick pinstripes going up the leg instead of traditional piping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.