MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I just hope the pinstripe brim is limited to the Yankees, and not on hats of every team that wears pinstripes.

I couldn't imagine it would extend to other pinstriped clubs. Those pinstripes are just so "Yankees." Do some other teams wear them? Absolutely. But none of them can be identified so easily by them. It's their signature.  Curious to see the other spring caps. Wonder when they'll come out?

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I miss George Steinbrenner. 

It's funny how Steinbrenner, who was at first derided for having defiled Yankee tradition, is now seen as a defender of Yankee tradition.  And both those assertions are correct!  

Steinbrenner allowed the team to descend into farce on account of his ridiculous infatuation with Billy Martin.  After Billy's justified firing in 1978, Steinbrenner should never have brought him back even once -- certainly not four more times!  (And if Billy hadn't gotten himself killed in December of 1989, we surely would have seen him for a sixth time when Bucky Dent ran into trouble in 1990.)

On the other hand, Steinbrenner certainly wouldn't have allowed this:

yankees-richoh ad.png

When Steinbrenner was asked why the Yankees didn't wear a Turn Ahead The Clock uniform, he responded "we did", indicating his belief that the Yankees' uniforms would be unchanged for eternity.

If he were still alive, there'd be no goofy spring training caps.  And I firmly believe that the Yankees would not be wearing any manufacturer's logo on their caps or on their uniforms.  Even if Steinbrenner had to break the rules and pay a running fine for doing that, he'd nevertheless have done it. 

Let's all raise a calzone in honour of the Boss.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

12 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It's funny how Steinbrenner, who was at first derided for having defiled Yankee tradition, is now seen as a defender of Yankee tradition.  And both those assertions are correct!  

Steinbrenner allowed the team to descend into farce on account of his ridiculous infatuation with Billy Martin.  After Billy's justified firing in 1978, Steinbrenner should never have brought him back even once -- certainly not four more times!  (And if Billy hadn't gotten himself killed in December of 1989, we surely would have seen him for a sixth time when Bucky Dent ran into trouble in 1990.)

On the other hand, Steinbrenner certainly wouldn't have allowed this:

yankees-richoh ad.png

When Steinbrenner was asked why the Yankees didn't wear a Turn Ahead The Clock uniform, he responded "we did", indicating his belief that the Yankees' uniforms would be unchanged for eternity.

If he were still alive, there'd be no goofy spring training caps.  And I firmly believe that the Yankees would not be wearing any manufacturer's logo on their caps or on their uniforms.  Even if Steinbrenner had to break the rules and pay a running fine for doing that, he'd nevertheless have done it. 

Let's all raise a calzone in honour of the Boss.

Steiny was alive and well when he signed off on NY(AL) going to Japan in 2004 and wearing those advertising patches. He obviously had no problem with them. He was a felon and also paid a mobster to dig up dirt on his own player. And his team only became relevant again in the 1990s because he was banned from running them.

feat-steinbrenner.png

20 hours ago, cmm said:

Steiny was alive and well when he signed off on NY(AL) going to Japan in 2004 and wearing those advertising patches. He obviously had no problem with them. He was a felon and also paid a mobster to dig up dirt on his own player. And his team only became relevant again in the 1990s because he was banned from running them.

feat-steinbrenner.png

Ah, yes; Steinbrenner was alive when the Yankees disgraced themselves by adding advertising to the uniform.  Thanks for the correction.

But "well"?  I am not so sure.  I think he had ceded control to his son by then.

Anyway, that was an excellent reminder of Steinbrenner's Watergate-related crimes and of his contemptable behaviour regarding a great Yankee, Dave Winfield.

I take back my calzone!

10 hours ago, TVIXX said:

The Brewers and Phillies will wear throwbacks July 14-16

plus a new logo celebrating the anniversary 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am so glad the Brewers finally fixed their official logo file, bringing back the white webbing. 

If only we can fix the graphics on this site now - that cap image drives me crazy. 

19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I am so glad the Brewers finally fixed their official logo file, bringing back the white webbing. 

If only we can fix the graphics on this site now - that cap image drives me crazy. 

Hmmm, can you explain what you're talking about because I don't know and now I'm super curious? Thanks

12 hours ago, TVIXX said:

image.jpg

What does Sean Penn have to do with the 1982 Brewers?

:P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Hmmm, can you explain what you're talking about because I don't know and now I'm super curious? Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Top one is the correct graphic

middle on is wrong because the middle portion in between the m and b is supposed to be white just like in the bottom picture

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

If he were still alive, there'd be no goofy spring training caps.  

God forbid the team have a little bit of fun in a preseason league. The Yankees' stauncy-ness have had an affect of the entire league, and are part of the reason the MLB is so stuck in the past. I'm with Bryce Harper. Make baseball fun again

38 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:
On 1/25/2017 at 1:54 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

If he were still alive, there'd be no goofy spring training caps.  

God forbid the team have a little bit of fun in a preseason league. The Yankees' stauncy-ness have had an affect of the entire league, and are part of the reason the MLB is so stuck in the past. I'm with Bryce Harper. Make baseball fun again

You know what's fun?  The Yankees looking like the Yankees, with their regular caps and their normal uniforms.  

If other teams want to wear kiddie caps and multi-colour pajama-top warmups in spring training games, that's their business.  The Yankees are -- or were -- above that.  (I think the Yankees and the Cardinals were the last teams to wear their normal uniforms in spring training, before the plague of warmups washed over even them.)

Archived