MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This picture should remind us all that Babe Ruth never wore the NY logo on his jersey -- that's something that was added to the home uniform after Ruth.  Proof that in those days, they weren't worried about changing an "iconic" look.

ruth.jpg

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

That's a very good point you make here.

I always enjoy watching Yankee fans squirm when I ask them "You have to have one. Which would you rather have: an alt or names on back?"

A warm gun to the head, thank you very much.

Actually, between the two, I'd take a sporadically appearing road alt over names on the back. Names would not look good on the back of the Yankees' pinstripes, since they wouldn't have an outline, and thus would get lost in the pinstripes. Plus, I love that longtime players become super-identified with a certain number, to the point that just the simple number on the back evokes their image.

That said, I will projectile vomit if either of those were to ever occur. And I expect neither to occur in my lifetime. The fan uproar would be fierce and immediate.

3 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

practice-wear, to me at least, is a chance to try new things and maybe be different and go against tradition since it's

1) Not really official outside of the practice/spring training context.

Yeah, except we know from experience that's not the case.

1 hour ago, ltjets21 said:

The Yankees have worn BP hats in games before, I think the pinstripe brim looks better than plain white.

Yankees-White-BP-Cap-2013-Alex-Rodriguez.jpg

That's why I have a problem with things like this.   We can't rely on them keeping practice uniforms limited to practice.

58 minutes ago, Derek94 said:

Yankees have the best road grays when contrasted with opponents'  kits.

derek-jeter-adam-jonesb.jpg

Grey vs white looks great. Grey vs color looks great. Color vs white looks great... I wish the MLB would implement rules that prevent alt color vs alt color uni match ups, not great. 

rtx2rgep.jpg

When it comes to the team in Queens I have to say that their road greys to me are if not the best in baseball easliy in the top three.  If I were ever going to buy a Mets jersey it would be the road grey.

Just now, tp49 said:

When it comes to the team in Queens I have to say that their road greys to me are if not the best in baseball easliy in the top three.  If I were ever going to buy a Mets jersey it would be the road grey.

love the Mets' road grays, especially now that they've rid themselves of that unnecessary and distracting black drop shadow. The royal blue and orange jump off the gray beautifully. I know some considered the tuscan font to be inconsistent with the rest of the Mets' identity, but I don't think so - it's quite standard for road jerseys to use some print lettering even when the homes use a cursive wordmark. I think the Mets' current road wordmark looks far better than any of the previous script "New York" wordmarks.

2 minutes ago, tp49 said:

Agreed. Funny thing is that they are the most simplistic and yet, they are probably the best. The only roads I can think of that match them are the cards or the giants

1 minute ago, Rj0498 said:

Agreed. Funny thing is that they are the most simplistic and yet, they are probably the best. The only roads I can think of that match them are the cards or the giants

I put the Braves grey in there especially when worn with the red brimmed cap and I agree on the Cardinals.  For me the Giants dropped down when they added the headspoon piping.  White Sox also dropped for me when they changed the patch to the cap logo.

On 1/29/2017 at 2:55 PM, Rj0498 said:

That's one thing I have noticed with them same with the Marlins, they have an odd aversion to their road jerseys, despite them looking very nice

The Marlins have returned to wearing their road jerseys more often. The black is still worn on the road but not exclusively any more.

1 hour ago, kroywen said:
1 hour ago, tp49 said:

love the Mets' road grays, especially now that they've rid themselves of that unnecessary and distracting black drop shadow. The royal blue and orange jump off the gray beautifully. I know some considered the tuscan font to be inconsistent with the rest of the Mets' identity, but I don't think so - it's quite standard for road jerseys to use some print lettering even when the homes use a cursive wordmark. I think the Mets' current road wordmark looks far better than any of the previous script "New York" wordmarks.

The Mets' road greys are indeed as beautiful as their home uniforms are.  And the "New York" wordmark is, as @kroywen suggests, the best choice for them.

The only area in which the road uniforms could be better is in the number font.  Through 1973, the Mets used varsity numbers on the road with the "New York" wordmark.  That number font goes very well with the Tuscan "New York" wordmark.

mays-donatelli.jpg

hunter-seaver.jpg 

Image result for john milner mets

(Note: that's not really Duffy Dyer's 1973 card.)

The Mets dropped the "New York" wordmark after 1973, but kept the varsity font on the road from 1974 through 1977 with the "Mets" wordmark.  That did not look good at all.

Image result for tom seaver 1976  

But with the "New York" wordmark, the varsity numbers are beautiful.

tug.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, except we know from experience that's not the case.

That's why I have a problem with things like this.   We can't rely on them keeping practice uniforms limited to practice.

Was not aware until I saw that post. Gross. 

So I guess I'll state that I don't care what they do with practice wear as long as it STAYS practice wear. I wouldn't want BP hats for any teams to become in-game unless it was seriously being integrated into the identity.

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The only area in which the road uniforms could be better is in the number font.  Through 1973, the Mets used varsity numbers on the road with the "New York" wordmark.  That number font goes very well with the Tuscan "New York" wordmark.

mays-donatelli.jpg

I can't agree with you there.   I think the simplified block is better - those extra serifs just clutter up the design.  That could go double for the pinstriped homes, which are always in danger of becoming too busy.

mlb-philadelphia-phillies-new-york-mets-

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

Amen.  This is a gorgeous jersey, my favorite road jersey in the sport.

David+Wright+Travis+Arnaud+New+York+Mets

I'm reminded of a conversation I overheard in a Citi Field pro shop last year between an exasperated woman and her ~10-year-old son picking out a cap:

Mom: Just pick the one you like. How about one of these black caps?

Son: No way. I want one in Mets colors!

Archived