TVIXX

MLB Changes 2017

2 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

If I had a nickel for every time someone used that damn fire emoji...

Then I would owe you precisely zero nickels.

11 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

Then I would owe you precisely zero nickels.

Huh.  I never actually thought of who it is that is giving out these hypothetical nickels.

My favorite nickel-based saying, though, would be his radio show co-host telling Michael Kay "If your head were filled with nickels you'd be a millionarie."

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

Nice pic of the white sox;by the looks of the picture it looks like Wrigley Field but interleauge hadn't started so maybe an exhibition game.And kudos on the Astros pic.What was the difference between their home and road uniforms during that era.Was the road uniform a bit less white than the home uniform?Or was it grayish?

1 hour ago, cmm said:

The Cubs and White Sox played a couple of exhibition games against each other in 1981 before the season restarted from the strike.

I think the Cubs and Sox played each other in an early-season exhibition game during most years.

And, for the first five or so years of the Astros' rainbow uniforms, there was no difference home or road; they wore the same white uniforms every game.  The number on the back was in a circle for the first year or two, then the circle was eliminated.

They didn't have a road uniform until 1980, when they introduced a grey road set with the rainbow design on the shoulders.

9 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And, for the first five or so years of the Astros' rainbow uniforms, there was no difference home or road; they wore the same white uniforms every game.  The number on the back was in a circle for the first year or two, then the circle was eliminated.

They didn't have a road uniform until 1980, when they introduced a grey road set with the rainbow design on the shoulders.

I was about to ask how they got away with that and didn't get mixed up with the home team when they went on the road.

Then I looked at the uniforms and realized how friggin' stupid a question that was.

6 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

Can't wait for the Marlins new ST caps to come out. I've collected all of them since 2013 (the 2012 version with the pointless piping was a joke.)

What's new about their 2017 caps besides the removal of the NL logo and adding of the New Era logo? 

14 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Who said it isn't allowed?

Colour-over-white on the road has been worn by the Cubs (as already noted), the Padres, the White Sox, the Rangers, and the Astros.

images (1).jpg  bbd324df9a1845f562fd29398d738a1a.jpg   Larry-Parrish.jpg

78507455.jpg

For me the only one of these that worked was the White Sox.  (Though I wish those collars had gone all the way around the neck.)

One more:

b0e52ed788fe919c54ccf0bb7040210f.jpg

15 hours ago, jrodsep said:

Mine too.

*** unpopular opinion alert ***

But I wished some teams had "color rush" type uniforms once in a while. Like full black for the White Sox (with white socks), full yellow the A's, full tomato for the Indians, etc.

*** bracing for full on hate in 3, 2, 1 ***

Back in the early 20th Century there were teams with all lack road uniforms, or all navy.  I would love to see the White Sox with an all-black or black with white pinstripes even.  I like that a darker gray is now being used on some road unis too.  

Here's an example from 1917 from the White Sox

Click to go back

18 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Get rid of grey altogether and make teams wear colored tops on the road.

I wouldn't say get rid of, because gray works for some older teams (Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers) but some of the newer guys could pull it off (Rays, Marlins, Arizona)

There are so many teams that I actually like better in their road grays than in their home uniforms. The Giants stand out to me in this one. I love how the black and orange look on the gray. It'd be hard to say it's better than the home white but the Oakland road gray is gorgeous. There are other teams like this as well.

Road gray is in theory supposed to be your home look dulled down to not stand out over the opposing home team's uniform but there are several road gray jerseys that are so good they "outshine" their opponents home jerseys.

Here's one thing I caught yesterday....

Last years ST jersey for the Rox had black numbers with the white outline, seen here:

img-1245742-m.jpg

In a tweet from the Rockies yesterday, the numbers are just silver:

I wonder if this signifies a change to the regular alts to make them more legible as well?

35 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I wouldn't say get rid of, because gray works for some older teams (Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers) but some of the newer guys could pull it off (Rays, Marlins, Arizona)

Teams can be allowed opt into grey.

I say make each team come up with three jerseys in three different colors. They can choose white and grey as two but they don't have to. Then make it a rule that jerseys can't clash.

9 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It wasn't grey. It was a very light cream. It was basically white. 

pitcher-mike-scott-of-the-houston-astrosGame186LCS.jpg

I can't believe the league let them do that. 

19 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

And I thought the WS Dark blue vs Royal Blue was bad lol

29 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Looking at "Dressed to the Nines," it looks like they did this from 1980 all the way into the 1990s when they switched to blue and gold. I recall in the late 1980s a friend of mine saying that the Astros only had one uniform.  I believed him...turns out it was very light gray.

(The link makes it look like it was a darker gray in 1980 before getting light in 1981 but that may just be an inconsistency in the illustration).

I had no idea that the late 1970s "Rainbow Guts" were worn at home and on the road.  I guess that was one uniform that is always distinguishable from any other.

So the Astros spent 20 years as "the team that tries not to really have gray."  

39 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

It was more noticeable in person.  But it was a little strange that chose that color. 

17 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Who said it isn't allowed?

Colour-over-white on the road has been worn by the Cubs (as already noted), the Padres, the White Sox, the Rangers, and the Astros.

images (1).jpg  bbd324df9a1845f562fd29398d738a1a.jpg   Larry-Parrish.jpg

78507455.jpg

For me the only one of these that worked was the White Sox.  (Though I wish those collars had gone all the way around the neck.)

I think it's a newer rule. Can you think of any wearing white pants on the road in that last 5 years or so? Not positive but I remember there being an issue when the Mariners wanted to wear their teal on the road with the white pants and weren't allowed to do so. Anyone else know for sure if that is a new rule?

21 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Looking at "Dressed to the Nines," it looks like they did this from 1980 all the way into the 1990s when they switched to blue and gold. I recall in the late 1980s a friend of mine saying that the Astros only had one uniform.  I believed him...turns out it was very light gray.

(The link makes it look like it was a darker gray in 1980 before getting light in 1981 but that may just be an inconsistency in the illustration).

I had no idea that the late 1970s "Rainbow Guts" were worn at home and on the road.  I guess that was one uniform that is always distinguishable from any other.

So the Astros spent 20 years as "the team that tries not to really have gray."  

I'm pretty sure it's an inconsistency in the illustration.  I don't remember the Astros ever having uniforms that dark during that period.

EDIT:  Wikipedia says J.R. Richard's last MLB appearance was in June 1980, so there is a substantial likelihood that this picture was taken in 1980.

AR-150609301.jpg

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Maybe it's the view of the pants but they look just a bit gray.Do you have a picture of them at home during this period to reference with?

One more:

b0e52ed788fe919c54ccf0bb7040210f.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pauly said:

They wore all white at home.  On the road it was blue jersey, white pants.  The white pants matched the sleeves and numbers and white panel.

4550c16add55d38e5145d12f5cb82263.jpg