MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those Yankees ST hats are my favorite, especially the one with the pinstriped brim. Those complaining about tradition can get off their high horses. If Juventus can throw out their primary logo that they've been using for 100+ years, then the Yanks can get away with an alternate cap every once in a while.

3 hours ago, benpc21 said:

I've dream of them having this cap, but with a solid navy bill to go with the "Astro navy" alternate jerseys for years. This is just great!

I'd love to see:

- This full time with the home whites

- A reversed version (navy bill, teal top) for the alt teal

- An all navy version for the road greys and navy tops

The logo is so much cleaner and striking than the convoluted S/compass. 

2017-MLB-Spring-Training-Caps-Seattle-590x414.jpg

5 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

What the cuss were the Yankees thinking???‍♂️

"How can we throw back to the aesthetics of the pinstriped crown hat without doing the work or paying the money to add pinstripes to it?"

3 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

This should probably go in the unpopular opinions thread, but I would love to see the cardinals use the red bird-on-bat hat in the normal material for Sunday home games and a red-billed blue hat for every other game home and away.

I know we've been down this road before but I really dislike the cardinals wearing the red hats so much on the road and I think going back to a blue hat with a red bill would be a good balance of color for both the home and road uniform, plus it has some great history behind the look. 

I forgot to put that in my list of beliefs when we were all discussing earlier.  Definitly navy Cardinals on the road.  It just looks better, and gives them more differentiation from their Red neighbors.

1 hour ago, Matito said:

Semi related, on the topic of retro logos in new colors, New Era has a new-ish line out called "Twist Up" with the same concept. The Rays' caps are just gorgeous.IMG_1210.PNGIMG_1211.PNG

That is... the only way I'd be happy with returning to the old rainbow Rays identity.  The current Rays identity needs more Columbia Blue.  The old Rays identity's colors were way too crazy.  This solves both of those issues.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Miami Marlins MLB Twist Up 59FIFTY Cap Hats

Spent years on here seeing locals complain about how orange didn't fit into the Marlins identity and the city's cultural identity.  The people were upset with Loria for trying to find ways to expand it's role, when originally it was just stitches on the primary logo.  Then they make a cap to throw back to the old color scheme, and it's orange.  Incredible.

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

The Brewers and Athletics hats look great.The San Diego one looks like the Giants took it over.

What's weird is... didn't the Padres have that color scheme when they had that logo?  I know the hat was never like that, but the logo and brown/yellow/orange coexisted, no?

spacer.png

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I'd love to see:

- This full time with the home whites

- A reversed version (navy bill, teal top) for the alt teal

- An all navy version for the road greys and navy tops

The logo is so much cleaner and striking than the convoluted S/compass. 

2017-MLB-Spring-Training-Caps-Seattle-590x414.jpg

Make this the regular cap, but the compass rose primary is so unique it needs to be kept

I'm just now getting a look at the caps.  Highlights/Lowlights:

ff_2661629_full.jpg&w=340

Love this cap.  Gorgeous.  Wouldn't want it to replace the old navy full-time, but my perfect Red Sox look would ditch the red alt at home for a 70's throwback with his hat.

ff_2661608_full.jpg&w=340

Still sticking with the Toronto Maple Leafs/Cowboys look.  Watched the Yankees broadcast last year and they showed a fan wearing this with a Yankees jersey.  One broadcaster said he was a confused fan.  The other corrected him by saying he was a Yankees and Leafs fan.

ff_2661627_full.jpg&w=340

Beautiful!  If they want to simplify after... what... over a decade with their current primary?  I'd be perfectly fine with them using this as a new primary, or even as a sleeve patch on the away uniforms.  I think you'd have to pry the flag patch from their cold dead hands at home.

ff_2661626_full.jpg&w=340ff_2661634_full.jpg&w=340

I don't know whether I should be disappointed these teams went with the blackout look, or that they chose to go with their iconic logos rather than dredging up something stupid to slap on the cap.  It's really tough.

ff_2661637_full.jpg&w=340

Beautiful, but should be the team's full-time batting helmet, not cap.  Still good to see.

spacer.png

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I'm just now getting a look at the caps.  Highlights/Lowlights:

ff_2661629_full.jpg&w=340

Love this cap.  Gorgeous.  Wouldn't want it to replace the old navy full-time, but my perfect Red Sox look would ditch the red alt at home for a 70's throwback with his hat.

ff_2661608_full.jpg&w=340

Still sticking with the Toronto Maple Leafs/Cowboys look.  Watched the Yankees broadcast last year and they showed a fan wearing this with a Yankees jersey.  One broadcaster said he was a confused fan.  The other corrected him by saying he was a Yankees and Leafs fan.

ff_2661627_full.jpg&w=340

Beautiful!  If they want to simplify after... what... over a decade with their current primary?  I'd be perfectly fine with them using this as a new primary, or even as a sleeve patch on the away uniforms.  I think you'd have to pry the flag patch from their cold dead hands at home.

ff_2661626_full.jpg&w=340ff_2661634_full.jpg&w=340

I don't know whether I should be disappointed these teams went with the blackout look, or that they chose to go with their iconic logos rather than dredging up something stupid to slap on the cap.  It's really tough.

ff_2661637_full.jpg&w=340

Beautiful, but should be the team's full-time batting helmet, not cap.  Still good to see.

All of these were around in 2016 B)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

35 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

That is... the only way I'd be happy with returning to the old rainbow Rays identity.  The current Rays identity needs more Columbia Blue.  The old Rays identity's colors were way too crazy.  This solves both of those issues.

The current Rays identity needs a few things, but the modern gradient shown on the Twist Up hats is not one of them.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

28 minutes ago, Toronto206 said:

Make this the regular cap, but the compass rose primary is so unique it needs to be kept

I love the concept of the compass rose but the way they render it is slightly too complex to show well. I'd be all for a refined, simplified version of it though. 

Just now, hawk36 said:
36 minutes ago, Toronto206 said:

I love the concept of the compass rose but the way they render it is slightly too complex to show well. I'd be all for a refined, simplified version of it though. 

The compass rose is a good sleeve patch.

That M trident is what belongs on their caps.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

As much as I like the M trident, if it becomes the primary cap I feel the lettering on the jerseys need to change to match it.

10 minutes ago, Yac12 said:

As much as I like the M trident, if it becomes the primary cap I feel the lettering on the jerseys need to change to match it.

Good point. I'd like to see that. Maybe not too drastic of a change but a lessening of the extreme serifs could be the way to go. And please, please, please NO double outlines. 

13 minutes ago, Yac12 said:
19 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Oh, yes indeed.

This is the wordmark and the number font that go with that logo:

Image result for mariners 1978  ruppert jones 2.jpg

And I will gratuitiously add this current picture of Mr. Mariner Ruppert Jones, in honour of his wonderful mustache.

Image result for mariners ruppert jones

That is one cool-looking fellow.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived