MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Milwaukee Brewers MLB Twist Up 59FIFTY Cap Hats

Jeez, don't give those goobers in Milwaukee any more bad ideas.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 2/1/2017 at 11:50 AM, leopard88 said:

I'm pretty sure it's an inconsistency in the illustration.  I don't remember the Astros ever having uniforms that dark during that period.

EDIT:  Wikipedia says J.R. Richard's last MLB appearance was in June 1980, so there is a substantial likelihood that this picture was taken in 1980.

AR-150609301.jpg

Per Henderson, they wore gray roads (very light gray) from 1980-1982.  From 1983 to the blue/gold era, it was cream or off-white.  From 1975-1979 they only wore the one jersey, home and away.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

2017-MLB-Spring-Training-Caps-Seattle-590x414.jpg

Thank sweet Neptune/Poseidon that they didn't use the "star-trident" (which is the worst cap logo ever worn by a major league baseball team, bar none). The trident looks fantastic in the silver and teal, and the teal bill is always a fantastic touch.

However, I wouldn't want it replacing the current cap logo. The trident is fine in small doses, but it should NEVER be the primary. An "S" in a similar style/outline scheme would be better, and it would be nice to have at least one logo with a rightside-up trident (because upside-down tridents are bad luck - not that the Mariners have ever had much luck). Besides, there's no other team with a solitary "S" as their cap logo. A distinctive, nautical-looking "S" would be the best course of action.

Also, I think it would be high time that the team starting using teal like the Orioles use orange. Teal scripts with navy outlines on the home and road uniforms (so that the teal-billed cap becomes a home/road cap, and gets a matching batting helmet), and a teal script with a silver outline on the navy alternate (with a navy-billed cap and a teal logo with a silver outline). Taking advantage of their unique color would be a step in the right direction.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Miami Marlins MLB Twist Up 59FIFTY Cap Hats

Wow. That's a beauty. 

I'm a big fan of the Marlins going back to teal and black, but seeing this cap made me rethink. Teal and orange is the way to go for them. 

It's perfect for Miami!

31 minutes ago, Thomas said:

And the beast

ff_2660268_full.jpg&w=340

:censored: this thing. :censored: everything about it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

All of these were around in 2016 B)

Well, the points still stand.  :P

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The current Rays identity needs a few things, but the modern gradient shown on the Twist Up hats is not one of them.

Eh.  It's not perfect, but I actually like the look of the gradient in the current colors.  It looks like the ocean.

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

But there are plenty of examples MLB of cap logos that don't match the jersey. In many ways I prefer a clean difference rather than an exact copy of the typeface. 

And when you try to force marriage between the two, you get this:

Mets-Caps-2017-590x519.jpg

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Oh, yes indeed.

This is the wordmark and the number font that go with that logo:

Image result for mariners 1978  ruppert jones 2.jpg

And I will gratuitiously add this current picture of Mr. Mariner Ruppert Jones, in honour of his wonderful mustache.

Image result for mariners ruppert jones

That is one cool-looking fellow.

It's like the Yazstremski Red Sox unis.  Beautiful.  I'd want it to be a regular alt.  But the current look is so beautiful, so different, so in line with the city's culture, the uniform of their high points, and now that they've changed the outlines is no longer drab as it was starting to feel.  I wouldn't want to replace it.  Maybe add a little more teal at home, but no need to go back to royal and gold regular.  That's for the Brewers to do.

28 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thank sweet Neptune/Poseidon that they didn't use the "star-trident" (which is the worst cap logo ever worn by a major league baseball team, bar none). The trident looks fantastic in the silver and teal, and the teal bill is always a fantastic touch.

I think that's a little bit of hyeperbole.  I mean... I don't even think it's the worst Seattle cap.

7563251987.gif jk9pmxo8tqv2xfodsfhhwplfu.gif 006wvt6wf3g02vqhx7yofazqv.gif 6730192015.gifToronto-Blue-Jays-59Fifty-Authentic-Coll 

spacer.png

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Why can't they remove the swooshy fish already. The M is unique and can stand on its own. Would be great. 

So is that shade of teal. It would tie to their original look and look excellent with the red-orange, black, white, and even yellow.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

27 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

It's like the Yazstremski Red Sox unis.  Beautiful.  I'd want it to be a regular alt.  But the current look is so beautiful, so different, so in line with the city's culture, the uniform of their high points, and now that they've changed the outlines is no longer drab as it was starting to feel.  I wouldn't want to replace it.  Maybe add a little more teal at home, but no need to go back to royal and gold regular.  That's for the Brewers to do.

That's why I really dislike the royal/yellow set for the Mariners. It takes away from a unique and cool-looking color scheme (which is the color scheme the Mariners wore during their few moments of relevance), and infringes upon a good color scheme for the Brewers (one that's associated with success and an iconic cap logo - even if I'm not fond of it). If the Mariners went more over-the-top with a Pilots homage (or navy/teal Pilots), then I'd be more cool with it.

27 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I think that's a little bit of hyeperbole.  I mean... I don't even think it's the worst Seattle cap.

7563251987.gif jk9pmxo8tqv2xfodsfhhwplfu.gif 006wvt6wf3g02vqhx7yofazqv.gif 6730192015.gifToronto-Blue-Jays-59Fifty-Authentic-Coll 

Ahem,

2278.png

Look at it. The poorly-rendered star, the shoddy double-outline, the odd perspective on the trident, and the relative lack of yellow all create a near-illegible logo that simply looks like a muddy blob from a distance. Say what you want about the bland drop shadow-S, but at least you could tell what it was from a distance and it incorporated yellow. I'd take that over the '81-'86 logo any time of day. The navy leaf is the only thing that comes close to being as nasty as this thing. The block C is merely bland, the "Black Jays" cap logo wasn't poorly-rendered (and it made us appreciate the current Toronto in a way that wouldn't have been possible otherwise), and the grey/orange "NY" is still based on a well-rendered cap logo.

Maybe it was PhantomDreamer and his incessant campaigns for the re-adoption of the '81-'86 Mariners identity, pullovers/sansabelts, and full-time powder blue road uniforms that made me loathe this logo, I don't know. At the very least, extended exposure to this logo made me acutely aware of its flaws. 

1 hour ago, rickyISking said:

Wow. That's a beauty. 

I'm a big fan of the Marlins going back to teal and black, but seeing this cap made me rethink. Teal and orange is the way to go for them. 

It's perfect for Miami!

The shades are different but I don't like that it's also the Dolphins color scheme. Maybe if the Marlins started as using the same scheme as the dolphins it'd be okay but for them to have their own color scheme for 26 plus years and then suddenly copy the dolphins scheme doesn't sit well with me. 

19 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

That's why I really dislike the royal/yellow set for the Mariners. It takes away from a unique and cool-looking color scheme (which is the color scheme the Mariners wore during their few moments of relevance), and infringes upon a good color scheme for the Brewers (one that's associated with success and an iconic cap logo - even if I'm not fond of it). If the Mariners went more over-the-top with a Pilots homage (or navy/teal Pilots), then I'd be more cool with it.

Ahem,

2278.png

Look at it. The poorly-rendered star, the shoddy double-outline, the odd perspective on the trident, and the relative lack of yellow all create a near-illegible logo that simply looks like a muddy blob from a distance. Say what you want about the bland drop shadow-S, but at least you could tell what it was from a distance and it incorporated yellow. I'd take that over the '81-'86 logo any time of day. The navy leaf is the only thing that comes close to being as nasty as this thing. The block C is merely bland, the "Black Jays" cap logo wasn't poorly-rendered (and it made us appreciate the current Toronto in a way that wouldn't have been possible otherwise), and the grey/orange "NY" is still based on a well-rendered cap logo.

Maybe it was PhantomDreamer and his incessant campaigns for the re-adoption of the '81-'86 Mariners identity, pullovers/sansabelts, and full-time powder blue road uniforms that made me loathe this logo, I don't know. At the very least, extended exposure to this logo made me acutely aware of its flaws. 

Interestingly enough, that logo only exists because of the All Star Game! They liked the logo from the ASG so much that they kept it. I think that's the only time that's ever happened. Although the Twins did adopt gold after using it in the ASG.

Something bugging me about the ST caps. Why do teams need a 2nd or 3rd cap if they only have one ST jersey to wear? Of the 7 teams that have more than one ST cap only the Twins have a 2nd ST jersey. The other teams have no purpose for a 2nd cap other than the obvious purpose of being a money grab.

In the regular season teams with multiple caps almost all at least have a specific jersey that matches with the alternate caps to at least give those caps a purpose. 

I'm bothered by the fact that these teams have a random extra cap with no purpose. At least the Tigers and Yankees can pretty much claim to have one cap for the road and one for home but I'm waiting on a reason for the Cubs, Braves, Dodgers, and especially the Rays with their 3 caps. 

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Beauty

ff_2660261_full.jpg&w=340

And the beast

ff_2660268_full.jpg&w=340

Is this a popular opinion around here? I was under the impression that most Sox fans (myself included) dug the fauxback style jersey. The "Sox" sleeve patch doesn't fit, though. 

Archived