2016 Color Rush Concepts: Packers vs. Bears (10/19)

8BW14

Since the Color Rush uniforms debuted last week I have been thinking of ways to improve them. That being said, I am pretty much opposed to the whole Color Rush idea on principle. I hate the mono look of the socks pants and shoes, but since the NFL is rolling with it I decided to go ahead and try to come up with uniforms that I cold live with but also adhere to the silly Color Rush program's guidelines. 

I'm a week late getting these started, but the plan is to release each matchup on Wednesday of every week there is a TNF Color Rush game and release the uniforms for the Colts, Redskins and Lions throughout the season. Here's the schedule just for reference:

Week 2: Bills vs Jets

Week 3: Patriots vs Texans

Week 4: Dolphins vs Bengals

Week 5:Cardinals vs 49ers

Week 6: Broncos vs Chargers

Week 7: Bears vs Packers

Week 8: Titans vs Jaguars

Week 9: Falcons vs Buccaneers

Week 10: Browns vs Ravens

Week 11: Saints vs Panthers

Week 12: Thanksgiving (Lions, Redskins, Colts)

Week 13: Cowboys vs Vikings

Week 14: Raiders vs Chiefs

Week 15: Rams vs Seahawks

Week 16: Giants vs Eagles

So without further ado, Here is the first Color Rush matchup:

Week 1 color rush.png

I had a hard time deciding whether to put the Bills in blue or red, but since they have mad wearing mono-blue a regular occurrence, red was the way to go. The striping is different than the current but hearkens back to the striping of the Jim Kelly-era uniforms. The Jets are in all white to avoid another colorblind fiasco. However, they are not just wearing their regular white uniforms as the green has been changed to kelly green which the Jets have used throughout their history (and hopefully future). The predominately white logo is a throwback to the 1964 season.

I also have the uniform matchup for the second Color Rush game to present today. This matchup features the Houston Texans and New England Patriots:

Week 2 color rush.png

I didn't really change much of the Patriots uniforms besides adding some sock stripes and changing the white stripes to silver, So this one is less of a concept and more of a tweak, hopefully for the better. I was actually pretty disappointed in the Texans for what I thought was a lazy attempt at a color rush. The Texans are in white which I though would be the best backdrop to showcase the red and blue team colors, especially with the Patriots in blue. I used the logo as inspiration for the sleeve design and striping as well as the socks, which I realize now might not be Color Rush Kosher?

Anyway thanks for taking a look and I'd love to hear your c&c or other input anyone has

PS: I know the first two are traditional color vs white matchups, but there will be plenty of color in the future. 

The White-for-silver change on the Patriots wasn't an improvement... At least I think so. The Patriots have one of the better looking Color Rush Unis, and the grey/silver really dulls it...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I appreciate the feedback. I think you are probably right about the silver. I wanted to change it mostly for the sake of change but it was probably about as good as it was going to get with the white stripes and numbers. I'll probably go back and change it back to white

Well I guess I'll go ahead and show you guys what I came up with for this week's matchup between the Bengals and the Dolphins. I really like the concept behind the all white Bengals uni, but it just doesn't work the way it should if it had a white helmet. So I went with an all black look for the Bengals. For the visiting Dolphins, I scrapped the creamscicle look for a mono white fauxback to the Marino era with the current colors and logos.

Week 3 color rush.png

Week 3 color rush.png

Updated the Dolphins uniform.

Thanks for taking a look and I'd really appreciate any comments or input anyone has. 

This doesn't really feel like color rush to me, I mean it's literally black and white. While the execution of your jerseys is good this just feels like a normal matchup

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a couple days late posting this, but I've finally got my version of a 49ers vs Cardinals Color Rush done.

Color Rush week 5.png

the 49ers black alternates are an abomination. I absolutely hate them. So what I decided to do was go with an all gold color rush uniform. I used the throwback dropshadowed numerals and kept the traditional sleeve striping. I think of there has to be color rush, its definitely something much more befitting of a historically well dressed team like the Niners. 

I was very tempted to go with an throwback for the Cardinals, but in the end I felt like a throwback was just the wrong way to for a Color Rush design. I decided to to take inspiration from the old Arizona flag sleeve patch and use it as a design for the whole sleeve to give the uniforms a shot of color.

I also have an update to the Dolphins. They have such a unique shade of blue and I know this is an unpopular opinion around here, but I don't really like the dolphins in orange, so mono blue it is, which I think contrasts nicely with the the Bengals' black and orange.

Week 3 color rush.png

Well that's that for now. Please feel free to comment and thanks for taking a look. 

On 10/8/2016 at 2:55 PM, ahowe6464 said:

Niners-Cardinals looks great, although the flag sleeve caps (trust me I like them) wouldn't fly in a Color Rush uni. Phins/Bengals are good. I love Miami's white-out but in terms of Color Rush it looks great.

Thanks, appreciate the comment. Why wouldn't the sleeves work for a color rush? just curious.

15 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Thanks, appreciate the comment. Why wouldn't the sleeves work for a color rush? just curious.

Although I like them the way they are, I feel like in real life it would most likely have to be a sublimated pattern at best to fit the mono-red. Maybe it would work, I'm not sure.

20 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

Although I like them the way they are, I feel like in real life it would most likely have to be a sublimated pattern at best to fit the mono-red. Maybe it would work, I'm not sure.

Yeah I understand that. I thought abut doing that, but I had just seen the sublimated flag design done so many times. I thought it would stand out better with the full color flag. Maybe that's a bad thing? I don't know but I'm happy with the uniform. Thanks for the comment.

Well it's week 6, so I've got the the matchup between the Broncos and Chargers for you guys. This one actually appears to be a pretty good uniform matchup. As far as Color Rush goes, I think the Chargers did it about as good as it can be done considering the restraints that make the uniforms at least kind of ugly. I love the royal blue uniforms and yellow facemask, as well as the, far superior to their current look single, single navy (or is it black?) outline on the bolts. All that said, I did change a few things, but nothing major at all. I added a yellow stripe to the sock and lightened the blue to the more iconic powder blue.

Next is the Broncos. I know so many people around here just love the Broncos color rush uniforms with the throwback logo and numbers, but I do not.  My biggest problem with the D logo is that it forces the horse to face backwards on the left side of the helmet and I think the current logo is better. Objectively, I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but I just don't like it. So My take on the Broncos Color Rush takes its inspiration from their current uniforms, which I actually like. I got rid of all of the white in the uniform and chromed out the logo and helmet stripes.

week 6 color rush.png

Well, here it is. Thanks for the taking a look and and I'd love to hear what everyone has to say, Please feel free to leave any C&C or thoughts you have.

23 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

I like both teams, but neither feels like a total upgrade. I think both these teams got it right the first time.

Fair enough. Like I said I thought the Chargers got it right the first time but I didn't wanna just not change anything. Appreciate the input

2 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Fair enough. Like I said I thought the Chargers got it right the first time but I didn't wanna just not change anything. Appreciate the input

Yeah I'm glad you didn't just leave it the same. Come to think of it I do really like that powder blue.

Well it's week 7 and it's time for a Color Rush matchup at Lambeau. The Packers have chosen to go with an mono white combo at home which just looks off to me and feels wrong. I understand mono white is much less offensive to the Packers' very traditional aesthetic than mono green, but the a long, long time ago the Packers did wear a mono green combo, so decided to base the color rush uniform on that uniform with double stripes on the jersey and a single contrasting stripe on the helmet and pants.

The Chicago Bears stayed pretty conservative, wearing a combo  they have worn before, except for the socks, and its just a little boring. On top of that, navy blue doesn't contrast enough with forest green. So, I went with an orange uniform, which has some historical precedence for the Bears. It features Chicago's traditional triple stripe with a brashier stripe on the pants and the Bears' current number font. 

week 7 color rush.png

Well that's it for now. Thanks for taking a look and please feel free to leave C&C.   

Archived