Adidas NHL Jersey Concepts

Teemu Savolainen

I'm always inspired when a new kit manufacturer takes over. Thinking all those possibilities and creativity that just might take place. Optimistic that I am, I usually get to disapointed in the end, but hey whatta hell! I can always do it "better" myself right? :-)

Now first of all, I'm pretty sure that when Adidas do take over the manufacturing from Reebok, nothing major changes will happen. Maybe few newer teams got a new design alltogether, but Blackhawks stripes will be there were they are supposed to be. And I'm quite sure that we won't be seeing the famous Three Stripes anywhere. Jerseys template and cut will change, obviously, and the manufacturers name will change in the neck, but otherwise nothing too drastic will come out this.

Adidas might make entirely new templates for the NHL, but I went with the very nice World Cup 2016 -template, created by Matthew McElroy (https://dribbble.com/shots/2564726-Adidas-World-Cup-Template). One of the guiding principle I had, was to try to imagine what the jerseys would actually look like, so many teams remain pretty much as they are. But then again, some don't... ;-) One thing I had to consider was those Three Stripes. Now like I said, I strongly doubt Adidas will include them to the final designs, like was in the case of NBA. But I decided to go with them, but instead of using them as a prominent design element, I went with a more subtle approach. Think that was a good solution, and one that Adidas should go, should they decide to have their stripes in the kits.

Now I will post the teams here as I get them done. And I am going alphabetically, so the first one will be the Mighty Ones from Orange County...

ANAHEIM DUCKS

One of the most intresting color combination of black, gold and orange. But I don't like their current jerseys; the design is too noisy for my taste. You got strong color contrasts some the best way to go, is to use those and go with a more subtle aproach. Also I'm not a great fan of their logo, so I made a quick one myself, which I think is a lot better than their current one. That is not so muc of a statement of the greatness of my design, but rather just pointing out how awful that "duck feet D" is.

But anyways, there they are, Home and Road jerseys for Anaheim Ducks. Please feel free to comment!

Anaheim_Ducks_Home.jpg

Anaheim_Ducks_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ARIZONA COYOTES

I have always found it funny to see hockey franchises in a places like Arizona. Now I'm not an expert, but the fact that they have a lot problems there doesn't come as a suprise, don't think Arizona is really a potential market place for a hockey team.

Well anyways, Coyotes have these days a quite decent jerseys of burgundy, white and black. A HUGE improvement from the 90's... But like with the Ducks, their logo isn't that great. I mean yeah, it's a nice drawing of a coyote, but somehow it seems like it should be somewhere else rather than in a hockey jersey. So I did a redesign myself. Now to use their old pointy and weirdo logo from the past might not be the best idea to begin with, but I think I did a pretty decent job. Now I am not saying its noway finished, but it serves the purpose for now.

As for the jerseys, I went with this dusty and rusty burgundy color with two tones and as an accent color I went with a sand-beige. I think it turned out to be pretty interesting and personal concept that will stand out with the rest of the league. In a positive way I hope...

Now that I'm thinking, that road jersey I made might be better suited for the alternative one. But hey, you need to break loose once in a while right?

But what do you think?

Arizona_Coyotes_Home.jpg

Arizona_Coyotes_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

BOSTON BRUINS

The next one will be one of the Original Six. And when it's about those franchises, you just got to respect the past and leave the more contemporary designs for somewhere else. Usually even the third/alt jerseys are more like a throwback uniforms rather than something unique and extraordinary. Now this is by no means a bad thing, I mean those legendary teams have a very solid and strong brands and one the most iconic logos and jerseys in professional sports history.

And so is the case with the Bruins. Nothing mind blowing or world shattering here. Went pretty much with the Bruins Graphic Guidelines Manual, if they had one. All in all, it's hard and in the end pointless to change something that obviously doesn't need to be changed.

------------

Off the record here, but it just came to mind, that it's funny (in an ironic way) to see how for example finnish professional hockey teams mimic the great NHL franchises in their logos and jersey desings. Usually with a bad, sad and pathetic outcomes...

Boston_Bruins_Home.jpg

Boston_Bruins_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

BUFFALO SABRES

The Sabres was a funny case to tackle. For some reason I have always liked their futuristic and infamous "Buffaslug" logo. It had a lot great things and a solid concept behind it. So I did my study on the matter. This redesigned logo is a hybrid of Sabres old and new logos and a little bit of Buffalos another professional franchise, Buffalo Bills bison logo. I ended up with more of an evolution rather than revolution, kind of an update to bring that somewhat awkward coin logo to this decade.

For the jerseys I brought white as an accent color to the navy-gold combination and widened those stripes in order to give the design a more contemporary feeling. I think one of my inspiration for these jersey redesigns as a whole comes from the those Stadium Series jerseys. The thing that makes them great for my taste, is that they have simplified those sometimes very tight and messy stripes and color combinations. I believe the basic idea for those are that they enhance the visibility and readibility watching from a distance. But I don't see why that design philosophy couldn't be brought to hockey stadiums as well.

Buffalo_Sabres_Home.jpg

Buffalo_Sabres_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

9 hours ago, Teemu Savolainen said:

ARIZONA COYOTES

I have always found it funny to see hockey franchises in a places like Arizona. Now I'm not an expert, but the fact that they have a lot problems there doesn't come as a suprise, don't think Arizona is really a potential market place for a hockey team.

Well anyways, Coyotes have these days a quite decent jerseys of burgundy, white and black. A HUGE improvement from the 90's... But like with the Ducks, their logo isn't that great. I mean yeah, it's a nice drawing of a coyote, but somehow it seems like it should be somewhere else rather than in a hockey jersey. So I did a redesign myself. Now to use their old pointy and weirdo logo from the past might not be the best idea to begin with, but I think I did a pretty decent job. Now I am not saying its noway finished, but it serves the purpose for now.

As for the jerseys, I went with this dusty and rusty burgundy color with two tones and as an accent color I went with a sand-beige. I think it turned out to be pretty interesting and personal concept that will stand out with the rest of the league. In a positive way I hope...

Now that I'm thinking, that road jersey I made might be better suited for the alternative one. But hey, you need to break loose once in a while right?

But what do you think?

Arizona_Coyotes_Home.jpg

Arizona_Coyotes_Road.jpg

Overall, I'm not a fan of the three stripes, especially since it disrupts the hem. It also makes the designs feel too similar. Also, while not every team needs or should use shoulder logos, some designs really benefit from them.

First, let me applaud your use of sand fir the away. Sand is almost criminally underused in Arizona's set.

Your new Coyotes logo isn't horrible, but I still prefer the current howling logo to it. It needs an outline on the away jersey, to distinguish it better. Also, the Coyotes are one of three or four current teams who should be straying from traditional striping. A more southwestern pattern does wonders for them. Overall, I would see this as a decent start, but it could definitely benefit from some tweaking.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Wow, this is stellar! I love the simplicity, and while everyone else hates the Adidas stripes, I don't think they're that bad. On paper, they look awful, but on the ice, they look alright.

The designs and logos are great. My favorite set so far is the Ducks, and the logos look great.

Keep it up!

On 22/09/2016 at 6:34 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

Overall, I'm not a fan of the three stripes, especially since it disrupts the hem. It also makes the designs feel too similar. Also, while not every team needs or should use shoulder logos, some designs really benefit from them.

First, let me applaud your use of sand fir the away. Sand is almost criminally underused in Arizona's set.

Your new Coyotes logo isn't horrible, but I still prefer the current howling logo to it. It needs an outline on the away jersey, to distinguish it better. Also, the Coyotes are one of three or four current teams who should be straying from traditional striping. A more southwestern pattern does wonders for them. Overall, I would see this as a decent start, but it could definitely benefit from some tweaking.

Thanks for your comments and critics!

That notion of those southwestern pattern is a great one! I thinks that would improve my designs even further and add more personality to the jerseys.

On the other hand, I think that Coyotes logo in road jersey works better without outlines because the background is already light.

Blog_v01.jpg

On 23/09/2016 at 0:04 AM, Zeus89725 said:

Wow, this is stellar! I love the simplicity, and while everyone else hates the Adidas stripes, I don't think they're that bad. On paper, they look awful, but on the ice, they look alright.

The designs and logos are great. My favorite set so far is the Ducks, and the logos look great.

Keep it up!

Thanks for the encouraging comments!

While I think it might not be a good idea for Adidas to include their stripes on the jerseys, I do believe my solution would work. Hockey jerseys usually have more or less a lot of different kinds of striping in them already, so to add those three in to them might be too much.

Blog_v01.jpg

CALGARY FLAMES

Flames current uniforms are a good example of over-doing-it. Four different colors and weird striping and side panels on jerseys. And I’m not the fan of that much black on Flames’ uniform. Prefer more to the original desing from 80’s. Ok, they have an alternate jersey that pays tribute to that red-gold-white design and good for them!

So yeah, I went with the retro-style solution with the jerseys. To give them a little bit of modern tuch, number fonts reflects the cursive shape of the great flaming C logo. I think the red, gold and white are such a perfect trio, that there is no need for black of anything else that matter.

Calgary_Flames_Home.jpg

Calgary_Flames_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Yet another team with a not-so-good logo. So I tried to do version of my own. Obviously the concept behind it is more or less abstract presentation of, well, a hurricane and ofcourse a letter C. I admit it resembles a little bit of my Ducks’ winged D and Flames’ flaming C, but whatta hell, it’s nice enough logo for the purpose and much better than that hurricane-cyclone of a thing that they have right now.

As for the jerseys, I went with pretty basic hockey jersey stuff, with two different kinds of  striping system one for the home jersey and another for the road. I think they turned out pretty nice and crisp designs that I would gladly see on the ice.

Carolina_Hurricanes_Road.jpg

Carolina_Hurricanes_Home.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

The legendary hockey team with an iconic sideview of an indian. Now there is some part of me that says get the rid of that awkwardly drawn guy and replace him with more updated version. Some part of me on the other hand thinks it’s such an iconic symbol that is better be left alone.

And since I wasn’t sure what is the best way to solve that issue, I ended up with a compromise by updating those feathers. Boom! But honestly, I think that indian might be redrawn without destroying the logo’s heritage. Just a little bit. But maybe some other day.

Like was the case with the Bruins, I didn’t do much changes to the jerseys. That waistline stripes are now in line with the slevees. That’s it.

Chicago_Blackhawks_Home.jpg

Chicago_Blackhawks_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

COLORADO AVALANCHE

While I can’t say that I am a fan of any particular team, Stanley Cup champion team from the Rockies is one of my favorites. Sakic, Roy, Forsberg, Borque and co. was a fantastic team to watch. And even if their jersey design was quite awful, the color scheme of the franchise is great!

Inspiration for these jerseys comes from their Stadium Series uniform last year that also had a nice throwback logo of former Colorado franchise. In fact it was such a great logo that I wanted to do an update to Avalanche following that concept. It’s one my favorites so far. Logo that respects the past but has a contemporary and unique feeling to it.

Colorado_Avalanche_Home.jpg

Colorado_Avalanche_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

COLUMBUS BLUEJACKETS

Bluejackets is an interesting team for a finnish hockey fan such as I because they have a finnish GM, fromer NHL player himself, Jarmo Kekäläinen.

Bluejackets uniform is OK. Pretty standard and somewhat patriotic color scheme with traditional tricolor. And while there is something good about their logo, I wanted to try this more traditional lettermark. The style comes from an old Civil War era posters that gives the bluejackets a bit more historic value, even if we’re talking of a franchise that was created on the 21st century…

Jerseys became almost like Team USA’s World Cup uniforms, but since were are talking about franchise that draws it’s concept from a Civil War and Independence, the similarity is quite natural.

Columbus_Bluejackets_Home.jpg

Columbus_Bluejackets_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

These all look really cool, but honestly they almost all have the same hem striping and arm striping, just with different color. 

Ducks: probably my favorite one you made, the *ucks don't have a good marketing jersey (especially since they don't use the weird triangle much) but I like the new logo and the additive of the orange

Coyotes: have the worst jersey in real life, just boring and terrible. Yours is probably the best concept I've seen of them yet. I like the new logo. my only critique is the hem/arm striping, you use the same striping on half of these jerseys and it gets old. And when your team is in the worst market they need good jerseys. My opinion, he striping should have a najaho/tribal pattern on them

Bruins: I'm not a hockey nut, so I don't know a lot about their jerseys. But the Bruins are classic #StayClassic 

Sabres: they have one of the weakest jerseys in real life. I like the colors, they match well. But I'm not feeling the Buffalo Bill-Sabres logo. Using it would be like Dallas teams all having a star on their logo. It only works for Dallas

Flames: really good, I like the striping. But the red hem stripe on the road is useless. I think they should have a pure white alternate #WhiteFlames

Hurricanes: honestly, I didn't give them a second glance, this is my least favorite jersey you made. 1 You used the same hem/arm/waist striping that I already mentioned you used to much. 2 the logo is... It's not iconic, I really like their current logos (the hurricane and the storm flags) it would look better if you somehow used the storm flags on the jersey. That's all I can say

Blackhawks: #StayClassic

Avalanche: I'm not sure how I critique this? I love the color template of the team, the striping is really good. But idk something just seems off

Carolina.... Wait this is Columbus!: that logo looks exactly the same of the one you made for Carolina (Though I like Columbus' way better) so get rid of one cause only baseball is able to do the same letter on multiple logos. Other than that it's really good. The striping could be a bit differently and again the road hem is useless. I think he hem should be longer (like a yoke) 

thanks for reading all my random useless rants, 

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

1 hour ago, CodeG said:

Also since these are Addidas they should have the triple stripes under the arms

They do, its just a lot mote of a subtle color on each jersey.

On another note, I love the Jackets! The color scheme is great, the logo is great, and the jerseys are great too! Awesome job!

Archived