Adidas NHL Jersey Concepts

Teemu Savolainen

On 04/10/2016 at 3:37 PM, Zeus89725 said:

Every one of these is awesome! My only nitpicks are...

Florida - Keep the chest stripe, imo. It gives them more of an identity than the bland arm striping you stuck them with.

Los Angeles - Not a fan of the half-and-half theme. It's unique, but I don't think it would look good on the ice.

Minnesota - The start is solid, but I think they could use some hem stripes.

Montreal - I'd slap a chest stripe on the away too. It makes the home and away work better together.

Nashville - I love the logo and I love the jerseys, All around upgrade!

Aside from those little problems, the whole project is still great!

Thanks!

You're right with the Panthers - the chest stripe might actually make it better, gotta work on it! And that proposition on Minnesota is a sharp one as well.

As for the Kings, those are quite unique designs if you think about the NHL teams and in real life those kind of concepts might work on special ocasions such as Stadium Series, regularly though, maybe not. Anyways if things would as I wanted, those would be the uniforms for the Kings :-)

For the Canadiens, I think they work better that way, because the arm stripes are so wide. Otherwise it would go too busy on my mind.

Blog_v01.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/10/2016 at 4:04 PM, hockey week said:

Oh god, stop! In the name of all that is good in this world, stop this heinous crime against hockey sweaters! Not because your concepts aren't good, well put-together, professionally presented, or realistic, because they are, but stop because Adidas could actually do all of these terrible things and you shouldn't be giving them ideas! Oh the humanity! Once I saw the Canadiens, I could no longer hold my peace. No more...no more of this nightmare...

Heh, thanks! I'll take that as a compliment! :-)

Blog_v01.jpg

On 04/10/2016 at 4:48 PM, CodeG said:

Woo, another bunch of jerseys to critique (if you don't mind) 

Dallas: keeping it the same is good, the Stars have one of the best if not the best jerseys in NHL

Detroit: I always viewed the old English D as an alternate logo so I'm not sure how I feel about it being used on the away jersey...

Edmonton: good as always, tho I would prefer the Oil stripes would also be on the stomach instead of only the arms

Florida: I agree with Zues^^ they need the chest stripes like real life. I like the overall design of the jersey tho

LA Queens: I like the idea, but I'm not sure how the away jersey would look on ice. Maybe keep the home 2-tone but make the away just 1 color

Wild: it's hard not to go wrong with the hockey states jerseys. And you did a great job on these, gotta love non-white road jerseys

Montreal: chest stripes on road #StayClassic

Preds: by far the best design out of all of these. I'm not sure about the logo, it doesn't scream "run-away imma hungrey predatooooor" but it meshes well with this design

i cant wait to see what you do with my sharks 

No I don't mind, after all that's why I posted these designs here in the first place!

For Detroit you're absolutely right! That magnificent D would work better on alternate jersey on special occasions.

I think the designs that include shoulder yokes (especially if they have strokes on them), arm striping and striping in the lower part of the jersey is somehow too much. And then if you'd add strokes in numbers and striping in trousers it all becomes too busy and usually disconected to one other. One of the design philosophies I had when starting this, was to make teams outfit much more simple and bold. Well, sometimes it works, sometimes not...

But truly thank you for your comments and opinions, always welcome!

Blog_v01.jpg

On 05/10/2016 at 4:59 AM, mee said:

For the Predators, maybe just turn the logo so the mouth faces us..

Actually, I thought about that a lot. I mean in medieval heraldry, the animals, such as lion rampant, are always facing left, and as such, facing the opponent. But if you think about a modern design principles, something facing right gives you an idea of speed and going forward. Ofcourse one might argue that now the mighty Smilodon is fast and going forward, but also away from the opponent, or pray i should say.

Anyways I decided to leave it looking right like their real logo does...

Blog_v01.jpg

On 06/10/2016 at 4:52 PM, alexandre said:

I really like that Preds logo! It looks like the direction NHL logos are headed in.

I know it's a really common refrain on these boards to love every other team in a series but nitpick on your own team, but that's how I feel. I love the presentation on these, love the template, I think you're doing a wonderful job, but other than in the series where the intent is to start from scratch, I am always loath to see changes made to the Canadiens' sweaters. The striping going to the back on the home is so important, as is the hem striping on the away. 

Thanks for your comments!

Well I think it's very natural that one is more critical when it comes to the team that one cheers for.

I am curious, who come the back striping is so important? Does it have some historical value or something? Because to be honest with you, I don't know that much about the history of the NHL kits.

But now that start to think about it, it might actually work better if that striping would continue to the back of the jersey. Maybe if do a redesign on these redesigns, I'll fix that!

Blog_v01.jpg

13 hours ago, slapshot said:

Everything is clean, but boring. The striping is too repetitive and cut off on just about all jerseys. I know you're trying to keep to a template, but it wouldn't be the same for all teams. Look at some college teams outfitted by Adidas...there are quite a few with stripes all the way around the jersey hem.

You also have single color numbers and lettering for every team. No outlines at all, so it looks even more templated. If there are outlines, they're too thin to see.

Heh, ones simple is other ones boring I suppose. But you're right that Adidas will definitely have two or three different kind of templates to work with. And I've been thinking of doing at least one more myself.

And when it comes to repetive you're right about that one as well. Though some North Korean Dictator-kind of design persona of me wants all the team to have same kind of basic design with a few minor changes. Go figure...

As for the number strokes, I do think that for the most cases, they're too much to my taste. I mean you got all those striping and strokes all over ther jerseys and trousers and socks already. And to put another (sometimes even two) colors to the outlines of numbers themselves is just way too much. But then there are teams, such as Devils where those white numbers actually needs black outlining on them.

Blog_v01.jpg

14 hours ago, Morgo said:

I suppose it would kill you to make the stripes go all the way around on a single damn concept in this series

Well there is a lot of things that would kill me in this life, but putting stripes go all the way isn't really one them.

The fact that haven't is because that was part of the idea to make these designs in the first place. You know, to make an experimentations how that Adidas Template might work on NHL teams. And yeah, one the prominent design feature on this template is that side paneling that cuts the front and behind in two. So no striping all the way on this concept series I'm afraid...

Blog_v01.jpg

Seems to me people are getting annoyed with the whole point of your series in the first place and not your designs themselves... you're doing Adidas jerseys so they're going to be simple and colourful and have some design elements people don't like.

I'm a huge fan of this series. What makes it interesting for me is how you've had to work within limits. I'm looking forward to the rest of the league.

3 hours ago, Teemu Savolainen said:

Thanks for your comments!

Well I think it's very natural that one is more critical when it comes to the team that one cheers for.

I am curious, who come the back striping is so important? Does it have some historical value or something? Because to be honest with you, I don't know that much about the history of the NHL kits.

But now that start to think about it, it might actually work better if that striping would continue to the back of the jersey. Maybe if do a redesign on these redesigns, I'll fix that!

Quite simply, they've always been there! http://www.nhluniforms.com/Canadiens/Canadiens.html They've been there for all 24 Cups, and I'd like for them to be there for the next one, whenever that may be.

16 hours ago, Point1 said:

Seems to me people are getting annoyed with the whole point of your series in the first place and not your designs themselves... you're doing Adidas jerseys so they're going to be simple and colourful and have some design elements people don't like.

I'm a huge fan of this series. What makes it interesting for me is how you've had to work within limits. I'm looking forward to the rest of the league.

Thank you very much!

I think you're right about some of the critics that these designs have received. And it's true that when you might change some fundamental design elements there are always some one who doesn't like them and that's cool. I mean this was ment to be a study of how to make these uniforms more simple, just like those Adidas jerseys the national and not-so-national teams wore at the World Cup 2016. Some times it's good to rattle some cages! ;-)

Blog_v01.jpg

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

No major changes for the Devils. Their solid and strong design remains as it is. Although I made few chages for the road jersey. Now the red and black stripes are separated by white strokes. Oh and yeah, I added team name on the trousers. Idea that I got from the Cleveland Browns new uniform set.

Devils_Home.jpgDevils_Away.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

NEW YORK ISLANDERS

Islanders home and road jerseys remain pretty much as they are now. I did like their Reebok Edge uniforms, but this more classic design is iconic and strong. So I saw no reason to change them. Numbers on the back of the jerseys have those famous four stripes to represent… You know what.

Islanders_Home.jpgIslanders_Away.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

NEW YORK RANGERS

One of the Six. Which means classical and iconic design. I’ve always liked Rangers’ home jersey over the road. The white one is way too busy with way too many stripes and strokes all over the place. So a little bit of simplifying and clearing was in order here. I also ditched number strokes from the away jersey simply because I don’t think they need them. In home jersey those white strokes are justifiable because otherwise the red numbers can’t be seeing on blue background. Also, I really like that Lady Liberty logo that Rangers had from time to time in their alternate jersey, so if I ever got to those, you can be sure that I’ll add that logo in there!

Rangers_Home.jpgRangers_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

OTTAWA SENATORS

Senators’ Reebok Edge uniform redesign was an improvement over the previous ones. Clear and big color areas without too much of unnecessary tiny details that would just over do it all. Only problem I had was that Roman officer on their chest. The old one was better altough I always thought it would look even better if redrawn. And as it were, I found on this fantasticly drawn presentation of that senator class officer of Roman army. It looks official, but I don’t recall ever seeing it on Senator’s jerseys ever. Anyway credits for that great logo to whom ever deserves it  – marvelous job!

Senators_Home.jpgSenators_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Team that has the best logo in the league. Period. I could almost believe that it was desinged by the legendary Paul Rand. And there’s nothing bad to say about their jerseys either. Great package, infact so great that I had to modify the template a little bit to better suit those sleeve design of theirs.

Flyers_Home.jpgFlyers_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

Time for Another one of my critiques !!

Devils: I like the over use of black on the roads, I don't really have any critiques

Isles: I like the numbers, not much else to say

Rangers: I think it needs a bit more red but that's it

Sens: I think there should be more gold

Flyers: amazing, but you missed the best part of their jerseys. The discolored nameplate box around the names!

cant wait to see the Sharks in a few concepts !!

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

Archived