Adidas NHL Jersey Concepts

Teemu Savolainen

On 10/8/2016 at 11:58 AM, Teemu Savolainen said:

OTTAWA SENATORS

Senators’ Reebok Edge uniform redesign was an improvement over the previous ones. Clear and big color areas without too much of unnecessary tiny details that would just over do it all. Only problem I had was that Roman officer on their chest. The old one was better altough I always thought it would look even better if redrawn. And as it were, I found on this fantasticly drawn presentation of that senator class officer of Roman army. It looks official, but I don’t recall ever seeing it on Senator’s jerseys ever. Anyway credits for that great logo to whom ever deserves it  – marvelous job!

Senators_Home.jpgSenators_Road.jpg

FALSE. The Sens look like trash right now. Their current jerseys are not an improvement over their previous jerseys. It's not even funny how bad thier current jerseys are...

But these look much better! I think the current number font would have looked much better, but as said before, I also think that it needs more gold...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

I don’t know why, but Penguins’ logo always makes me smile, in a good way! It has this old cartoonish and naive feeling to it, that stands out positively among the more serious and angry looking modern sports logos.

I also think it’s kind of neat for the professional sports team franchises in Pittsburgh to have the same color scheme. Especially now that Penguins returned yellow to their uniforms. Good for them!

As for my redesigns, I kept the uniforms pretty much the same. I simplyfied the sleeves a little bit and that’s it.

Penguins_Home.jpgPenguins_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

ST. LOUIS BLUES

One of my favourite color scheme in NHL. Maybe because it’s so close to the colors of one Charlestown Chiefs…

Blues’ logo is also one of the best in the league – simple winged note. That’s just so cool.

So I didn’t do much changes for the Blues either. Just ran it through my simplyfying redesign process. ;-)

Blues_Home.jpgBlues_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

SAN JOSE SHARKS

Yet another team that’s got a interesting and cool color scheme. Thoug I think that orange is a little bit too much – I mean when it comes to uniforms, two or three colors should be enough to present your team. Now there are some exeptions, but overall I think that when you add a fourth color in to the mix, you’re going too far…

For the uniforms, I went the same way that Reebok did when they introduced their infamous Edge uniforms. Shoulder yokes – check! Sleeve bands – check! But instead of adding that fourth contrast color, I went with a more simple (I think I’m using that word too often latelty..) design with bolder and more visible striping system. Because really, when you’re watching Sharks play, do you even see that thin orange line in their uniform?

Sharks_Home.jpgSharks_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

TAMBA BAY LIGHTNING

Lightning is one of those teams in NHL that I’ve never taken seriously. I mean usually over the years they’ve been at the bottom of the league. And don’t even start with their uniforms, I mean that alternate thing back in the 90’s…

But everything changes I suppose. To me it seems that first they started to take things seriously was the uniforms, which have improved a lot. And for this season it seems that the fans in Tamba Bay may have a long spring ahead of them…

Like I mentioned, their uniforms have indeed improved. And now they actually look like a serious hockey team, instead of some embarrasing joke in the league.

Ok, one might argue that their current uniforms are a bit too boring, and the fact that even I think about it,  might tell you something. So while keeping that same basic design, I tweaked those sleeve bands a little bit. I thought that unusual striping pattern gives the overall design a much needed uplift without going too much over the board.

Lightning_Home.jpgLightning_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

What can I say about this. No changes here folks! Except for those jersey numbers out there. I watched a game of Toronto Blue Jays, and I really liked that typography on their jerseys! It had a nice balance of old and contemporary design and I really wanted to try the same for Toronto’s number one sports team. Turned out quite good even if say so myself!

Maple_leafs_Home.jpgMaple_leafs_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Oh boy that “stick-in-rink” logo. It’s one of those masterpieces that just makes you jealous simply because you didn’t come up with it yourself. Pure classic! But nothing away their modern logo, it’s great as well! There’s something in native americans art that just hits the spot. That totem-like design is really nice peace of work. Just like that fantastic Seattle Seahawks logo. Me like!

Canucks’ jerseys are pretty good as well, hard to find anything bad to say about them. Although I like those original jerseys back in the 70’s better. Especially that first white jersey with those two color bands on sleeves. Not sure about that V on them though…

Anyways, I paid tribute to that jersey by implementing those two wide bands to these new uniforms.

Canucks_Home.jpgCanucks_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

WASHINGTON CAPITALS

Capitals’ uniforms aren’t that bad, but I went another way. I took inspiration for these uniforms from two sources; Washington Wizards’s marvelous uniform designs as well as from the Capitals’ Winter Classics jersey a while back. I think that combination works pretty well here!

Capitals_Home.jpgCapitals_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

WINNIPEG JETS

The last but not the least in this series of my redesigns are the Jets from Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Maybe I’m a little bit nostalgic here, but I think the original Jets franchise had a much better look than the new one. New logo is a boring piece of work. A vectorstock image of a jet and a maple leaf, is that really the best they can come up with? Those jerseys ain’t that great either, especially that road jersey with those blue stripes overlapping awkwardly that navy shoulder band.  Thumbs down.

So I took an enterily different aproach. Or maybe not that different. A blast from the past maybe?

I brought red along with navy blue and white. I also redesigned the logo, that obviously takes it’s concept from the Jets of 90’s. Along with my first design, the Ducks, this is my personal favourite with this fantasy design series. A good way close this project.

Hope you enjoyed the show! ;-)

Jets_Home.jpgJets_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

Archived