Dolphins Midfield Logo

WavePunter

The dolphins' logo at midfield looks awkwardly centered.. I realize the tail sticks out of the sunburst more than the nose, but the sunburst should really be centered on the 50-yardline, rather than the entire logo as a whole.. The differences between the length of the nose and tail are visually negligible, so throwing off the balance of the entire logo to account for it looks very awkward..

1. Care must be exercised in any end zone marking, decoration, or club identification at the 50-yard line, that said marks or decorations do not in any way cause confusion as to delineation of goal lines, sidelines, and end lines. Such markings or decorations must be approved by the Commissioner.

4 minutes ago, jgiff17 said:
  1. Care must be exercised in any end zone marking, decoration, or club identification at the 50-yard line, that said marks or decorations do not in any way cause confusion as to delineation of goal lines, sidelines, and end lines. Such markings or decorations must be approved by the Commissioner.

So, no?.. I'm confused now as to why you mentioned the 42-yardline specifically.. 

Brandon, thanks for that clarification.. Took me a few minutes to figure out why it looked so awkward.. Maybe you could pass the word along to the grounds crew ?

Edit: we posted at the same time, so I missed your explanation regarding the 42.. My biggest issue with it is that it punishes teams with long, slender logos, while teams with taller, thinner logos could get away with a much larger midfield logo

The Buccaneers' and the 49ers' mid-field logos go past the 42.  So it's not a rule (written or unwritten).  I think it's just coincidence that nearly all of the logos are painted within the 42s.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Bucs with outlines 41 I guess 49ers 42. I thought it was weird but it seems to be something. I'm just guessing that's why the dolphins did it like that so they could take up the whole space "allowed" I know we should have some insider somewhere in here that could give us a solid reasoning behind the choice

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG

10 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

Bucs might get some lead way so they can cover up the USF logo completely since the new flag seems slightly thinner than the old one

Youre probably right, but they usually paint the USF logo in all white a little smaller than usual so it gets coved by the white base layer of the Bucs flag.

I am glad to see that's the branding policy for the Dolphins. Too many companies/teams/whatevers have logos that have one side heavy/dominant versus the other, but the logo is centered using the exact middle point. It's much more pleasing to use the middle point of the weight of the image. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

At least for the first game they had a small

logo that was easily covered up with buc flag. Also I've noticed looking through tons of images that the endzone word art has decreased due to the decrease in the bucs new endzone art. 

IMG_3088.PNG

IMG_3089.PNG

Correct, this is the usual field for games the past few seasons..  If they don't paint it over, it also allows for a smaller cutout piece of sod

14 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

I like the huge logos like the Texans have gone to with the new turf. I think the Titans should go the route the dolphins have and enlarge the logo and center the logo rather than make the circular part of their logo at the middle

i like the larger logos as well, but centering the logo as a whole is not the answer imo.. it makes it look awkward and unbalanced.. the fact that a definitive "midline" is literally bisecting the logo is what throws it off... the visual "middle" should be centered, rather than the actual center.. regardless of  how it affects size

Archived