What bothered me most of all was the image searches on google. Seems to me there were a lot of mistakes and images that were either where I didn't see metallic silver blue or pewter colored ones, but from these two images maybe we can discuss some what if and should of from the 1970's NFL all the way til now. I am dabbling with designs myself on uniforms, but I need to get some private free time as there is many nosy people where I live at.

Here is the images,

schutt_pro_gloss_helmet_colors.jpg

The first one seems to have everything, even Denver Blue(?)??!!! Well I see extra bright metallic silver, but I do not see metallic silver blue. I seen sunflower gold which is used for ASU or maybe, not sure. But this is pretty interesting that I do not see dark teal or what we call midnight green helmets which those are more in the dark green shell category. I wonder if the Philadelphia Eagles use dark green helmets instead then. I see metallic burnt orange, but the one next to it seems too much like safety orange than burnt orange to me. Then there is Oakland silver which looks darker than silver. Hmmm, I am curious as to what your preferences or your thoughts on this as to I am kind of wondering or confused with the idea of two versions which the second being a metallic version of it!
Image result for Football Helmet shell colors

Then I see this!!! Well, there are 25 shell colors. This time I see the Dallas blue one, but for some reason there is the face guard colors. I see there is even a cardinal version or scarlet version which doesn't look scarlet, but more like cardinal to me. I felt the Arizona Cardinals should of did this and ditch the grey facemask. But the grey is a standard as it's code number is 01. I see that the standard number on white looks like 08 as a number code for the shell and facemask. Here is where this one comes from,

Xenith%20Varsity%20Helmet%20Colors.jpg

This is from xenith-helmet-colors and the search from it. I noticed the athletic gold seems darker on the image which is probably the lighting mistake or perhaps. But it's correct compared to the standard paint colors. Kansas Blue should of been the choice for Denver, Los Angeles, and New York Giants from 1968, 1973, and 1976 or 1980 respectfully. But I can see why they didn't use it as the name Kansas Blue was a problem from the teams to use either way. Columbia Blue, oh I know UNC uses that. I know Michigan State uses kelly green shells. And South Bend Gold, on that's pure Notre Dame alright. Well, this one seems to have some but most. I guess if color werx takes a look at this, I would be charmed to see if he can come up with some ideas to use his palettes and we can pull out some sources.

Here is my conclusion.

I guess by 2000, the Raiders made their silver darker and made it trademarked to their uniform and identity. I know Tampa Bay did that with pewter. Everyone knows University of Kansas and their blue which matches the jerseys that they wear that is the same color jerseys the 1973-1999 Rams and the 1980-1999 Giants have or had which makes me wonder that the Giants went with metallic royal blue in 2000 which was a smart idea whilst the Rams did the opposite and utilized navy blue and then change the athletic gold to vegas gold which vegas gold is much more drab than that of old gold which you all see in these two of three images.

Nike seem to have a problem creating old gold as to why I do not see the Saints throwbacks until the color rush uniforms make a identified version of it but from their 1975 years where they still wore white pants. Now, San Francisco has their own version of gold which is totally different from the other ones, Gee, I wonder why they went to all that trouble.

Well, I wonder what is your conclusion to this?

I am going to return to this post once again. I noticed that OSU use a matte black helmets today and it looked great. I figured if anyone knows about Xenith and their handling of the NFL and NCAA Football uniforms, then I want to know. I might be considering looking into this as I an doing my mock NFL and NCAA Football designs that can help me a lot.

The USFL Oakland Invaders athletic gold helmets were slightly darker than that of the Green Bay Packers, and the Pittsburgh Steelers who used athletic gold helmets once before. Heck the Redskins used the athletic gold helmets from 1970-1971 which was decent for their uniform design that time. I wonder if they used sunflower gold in the USFL for their gold because Schutt has it labeled in their shell color listings as well.

Denver Broncos 1997-current version of navy blue is slightly different than the Chicago Bears. I guess that was what they wanted to do, but sorry it didn't work because with orange being their secondary, their helmets and jerseys still have the same color pattern as the Chicago Bears. So to be respectfully honest... The Denver Broncos slightly lightened the navy blue so that it wouldn't clash with the Chicago Bears navy blue in order to look "different" which to me still doesn't work. Schutt list the navy blue helmets that Denver Broncos use as Denver Blue. Hahahaha! Really now?!!! I look at navy blue, metallic navy blue, and Denver blue and I do not see any sort of difference at all. Maybe the metallic navy blue is more with metallic flakes than that of Denver blue and navy blue which looks slightly similar to each other.

I solved it. The Philadelphia Eagles use the same dark green helmets that Colorado State used or used to use or whatever. It would be difficult in real life to create a midnight green shell nor can do complete a teal shell to be honest. This is why I believe that Miami Dolphins use white helmets with aqua because then you have to pay all that money in 1997 to make that stupid teal helmet with orange design which to me that I am glad the Dolphins didn't go for that design in 1997 which looked very UGLY. But the Eagles use dark green helmets and I guess that's why they made their midnight green color add some form of green to the dark teal in order to make the dark green match with the helmets which makes me wonder why did they do the uniforms. Plus, midnight green is a teal with 30% green in it to mud out the blue, so the helmets should of add some slight blue to it to make it similar to their 1996-2003 midnight green as I noticed by 2004-current Eagles had added some more green into it.

Most professional teams and colleges paint their own helmets, or at least have a 3rd party do it and not the helmet manufacturers. Some do use just the regular shell colors like the broncos and steelers using just the navy and black dyed plastic. Even the white helmets are painted by an outside company for most teams to add a small amount of metallic to the shell to look more white in the light. Hope this helps.

21 hours ago, dont care said:

Most professional teams and colleges paint their own helmets, or at least have a 3rd party do it and not the helmet manufacturers. Some do use just the regular shell colors like the broncos and steelers using just the navy and black dyed plastic. Even the white helmets are painted by an outside company for most teams to add a small amount of metallic to the shell to look more white in the light. Hope this helps.

That does. It really does. Having to see different versions of colors so that means we could have some jade helmets or midnight green helmets.

22 hours ago, dont care said:

To my knowledge, most professional teams get the helmets repainted by the manufacturer during the reconditioning process.. Riddell's paint color chart has all of the colors mentioned previously in this thread.. I'll try to find a link

IMG_5514.JPG

• 7 months later...
On 9/29/2016 at 7:03 PM, Silver_Star said:

What bothered me most of all was the image searches on google. Seems to me there were a lot of mistakes and images that were either where I didn't see metallic silver blue or pewter colored ones, but from these two images maybe we can discuss some what if and should of from the 1970's NFL all the way til now. I am dabbling with designs myself on uniforms, but I need to get some private free time as there is many nosy people where I live at.

Here is the images,

schutt_pro_gloss_helmet_colors.jpg

The first one seems to have everything, even Denver Blue(?)??!!! Well I see extra bright metallic silver, but I do not see metallic silver blue. I seen sunflower gold which is used for ASU or maybe, not sure. But this is pretty interesting that I do not see dark teal or what we call midnight green helmets which those are more in the dark green shell category. I wonder if the Philadelphia Eagles use dark green helmets instead then. I see metallic burnt orange, but the one next to it seems too much like safety orange than burnt orange to me. Then there is Oakland silver which looks darker than silver. Hmmm, I am curious as to what your preferences or your thoughts on this as to I am kind of wondering or confused with the idea of two versions which the second being a metallic version of it!
Image result for Football Helmet shell colors

Then I see this!!! Well, there are 25 shell colors. This time I see the Dallas blue one, but for some reason there is the face guard colors. I see there is even a cardinal version or scarlet version which doesn't look scarlet, but more like cardinal to me. I felt the Arizona Cardinals should of did this and ditch the grey facemask. But the grey is a standard as it's code number is 01. I see that the standard number on white looks like 08 as a number code for the shell and facemask. Here is where this one comes from,

Xenith%20Varsity%20Helmet%20Colors.jpg

This is from xenith-helmet-colors and the search from it. I noticed the athletic gold seems darker on the image which is probably the lighting mistake or perhaps. But it's correct compared to the standard paint colors. Kansas Blue should of been the choice for Denver, Los Angeles, and New York Giants from 1968, 1973, and 1976 or 1980 respectfully. But I can see why they didn't use it as the name Kansas Blue was a problem from the teams to use either way. Columbia Blue, oh I know UNC uses that. I know Michigan State uses kelly green shells. And South Bend Gold, on that's pure Notre Dame alright. Well, this one seems to have some but most. I guess if color werx takes a look at this, I would be charmed to see if he can come up with some ideas to use his palettes and we can pull out some sources.

Here is my conclusion.

I guess by 2000, the Raiders made their silver darker and made it trademarked to their uniform and identity. I know Tampa Bay did that with pewter. Everyone knows University of Kansas and their blue which matches the jerseys that they wear that is the same color jerseys the 1973-1999 Rams and the 1980-1999 Giants have or had which makes me wonder that the Giants went with metallic royal blue in 2000 which was a smart idea whilst the Rams did the opposite and utilized navy blue and then change the athletic gold to vegas gold which vegas gold is much more drab than that of old gold which you all see in these two of three images.

Nike seem to have a problem creating old gold as to why I do not see the Saints throwbacks until the color rush uniforms make a identified version of it but from their 1975 years where they still wore white pants. Now, San Francisco has their own version of gold which is totally different from the other ones, Gee, I wonder why they went to all that trouble.

Well, I wonder what is your conclusion to this?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2017 at 8:34 AM, byannpa said:

Silver_Star, do you paint your own helmets?  If so where do you get your paint and what color codes do you use?  Pleas let me know. Very interested in painting helmets myself.

Automotive paint works well.. I paint my own, and typically use spray paint from Wal-Mart, but the prep work is key.. You have to be careful and patient, and pay attention to detail throughout every step of the process.. 

Archived