Sportslogos College Athletics Association *UNIFORMS BEGIN PAGE 21!*

the_grateful_ted

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bigmike said:

I'll give it a shot. Might be awhile before I get around to posting my school though!

The last thing needed is a bunch of rushed, unorganized concepts. This is meant to be a long term deal so take your time!

10 minutes ago, Spanna65 said:

In. This looks like fun.

Looking forward to your concept!

Name of University: Great Lakes University

Nickname: Sailors

Location (City, State): Grand Rapids, Michigan

Colors: Navy Blue, Columbia Blue, Grey, Black, White

Great_Lakes_U-Primary.png

Great_Lakes_U-Secondary.png

Great_Lakes_U-Wordmarks.pngGreat_Lakes_U-WordmarksTeam.png

Great Lakes University was established in 1985 and boasts the most football conference championship wins of the conference. Their last being in 2015. They compete in baseball, football, basketball, and hockey. Lacking many other sports that have been historically bad like soccer, rugby, and lacrosse. These sports were dropped in 2005 when the Sailors got a much needed rebrand. GLU has been awarded with national titles in all four of the current sports they participate in.

1 minute ago, TheLogoManiac13 said:

Name of University: Great Lakes University

Nickname: Sailors

Location (City, State): Grand Rapids, Michigan

Colors: Navy Blue, Columbia Blue, Grey, Black, White

Great_Lakes_U-Wordmarks.pngGreat_Lakes_U-WordmarksTeam.png

Great Lakes University was established in 1985 and boasts the most conference championship wins of the conference. They compete in baseball, football, basketball, and hockey. Lacking many other sports that have been historically bad like soccer, rugby, and lacrosse. These sports were dropped in 2005 when the Sailors got a much needed rebrand. GLU has been awarded with national titles in all four of the current sports they participate in.

Love the font and color choice! For the primary, I think you should try to thicken up the lines to make it look a little more like a logo. Or with such an awesome name, maybe you could try a sailor mascot. Just some ideas, but I like where yours is headed :)

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

10 minutes ago, TheLogoManiac13 said:

New primary and old primary was moved to a secondary

Much better. I think you did the right thing by making a new primary.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

1 hour ago, ~Bear said:

Alright. Could I, if I decide to do a logo set, do it hand-drawn or should I stick to the computer? I could do either. 

Whatever you're more comfortable with! At some point it should probably be digitized, but that does not have to be now.

50 minutes ago, TheLogoManiac13 said:

New primary and old primary was moved to a secondary

I think that's a big improvement! I'd just pick navy or black though, having two extremely dark colors that close sometimes looks like you've just made a mistake.

49 minutes ago, spartan lover- said:

can this be hand drawn or does it have to be digitilize

Whatever you're more comfortable with, at some point it should be digitized, but people on the boards can help you with that if need be!

Name: University of Western Mississippi

Nickname: Bandits

Colors: Black, Red, Gold

UWM.png

Founded in 1886 as Mississippi Normal School of Vicksburg, the original intention of the school was to bring the citizens of Vicksburg together after a very tumultuous period of several decades (Murrell Excitement, Civil War, and Reconstruction) going back to the city's founding in 1825. The first athletic team to form was the football team in 1902, and it was known as the Choctaws, but in 1925, to celebrate the centennial of Vicksburg's founding, the school (then known as Western Mississippi Normal School) decided to field a basketball team and change their mascot to Bandits to honor the life of John Murrell (of the infamous Murrell Excitement), an infamous bandit from the first years of Vicksburg's founding. In 1948, Western Mississippi Normal School became Western Mississippi State College and now fielded 10 athletic teams (including wrestling and swimming). In 1975, WMSC gained university status and became Western Mississippi State University. The decision to change the name to University of Western Mississippi in 1986 signaled two things, the university's centennial and its kinship with Ole Miss. UWM now fields 16 athletic teams for both men and women.

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

Name: Alaska-Juneau State University

Nickname : Kodiaks

Colors: Sky Blue, Navy Blue

(logos from top to bottom: primary "paw", wordmark, secondary, alternate logos)

image.png

AJSTU & AJ.png

Alaska-Juneau State University (usually shortened to Juneau State or Alaska-Juneau) was founded in 1983. During their history, they've sported the Kodiak paw after the Kodiak bear. Their colors have always been an array of blues although for a short time in the 1990s gold was used. They have one of the premier hockey programs in the nation, being the school's first sport in 1989. In 2006, AJSTU adopted a football program (now in the highest level of college football) along with a basketball program for men and women in 2009. A baseball program and a women's volleyball program was adopted for the 2016 season as the university continues to grow at an extreme rate. For the 2019 season, a cross country program will be implemented.

The college's motto is "Eureka or Bust!," citing the Gold Rush in the 1800s that forced the founding of Juneau. During playoff matches or important games at Joe Juneau Field or Richard Harris Stadium (named after the two founders of the city of Juneau) this chant can be heard by the fans. The college's mascot is Growls the Bear and can be seen wearing the number 83 on his assorted jerseys after the year the college was founded.

Academically, the college ranks as the best in Alaska and in the top 10 for public schools in the entire nation. They are known for their AJSTU Medical Program being the cream of the crop. The campus has around 10,000 students with roughly 8,000 undergrads. Despite the small school, they are known for their on-campus living (the dormitories were rebuilt in 2014 along with a new cafeteria area that opened this school year).

The latest rebrand was when Nike took hold of the team. They kept the classic paw the same, but created some whacky uniforms, adding black into the color scheme and attempting to bring back gold into the color scheme. 

AJSTU's main two sports are hockey and football, although basketball is growing in popularity. The team has one of the best hockey teams in the nation as people travel all the way from Fairbanks to see a game. They have won several championships throughout the years. The college had a scandal in 1990 when they were exposed for paying off Russian players, with the authorization of the government, to play for AJSTU and later in the NHL instead of the Russian leagues. They still have a large Russian presence on the team, although today the players are not involved in a scandal. 

The team has gotten better in football as well, making a football game the event to attend on Saturdays in Juneau. They jumped to Division 1 in 2012 and have since been decent. They've yet to go to a bowl although this might be the year as last year the team went 5-7, their best Division 1 record, before losing a heartbraker at home in the final 2 minutes. The basketball teams are still young and need time to grow but fans are still optimistic. The baseball team finished in last, but that did not stop the games from having a show of fans in sky blue. Women's volleyball is also fairly young but is starting to grow a serious following in Juneau.

Although the college has not had much athletic success outside hockey, fans still come to games, cheering loudly and proudly. Hope is always in the air as optimistic fans hope that this could be the year the team has a run. Mockingly, rival schools call the fans "Sea of Blues" since they are notorious for losing big games. Of course, we have our fair share of nicknames for them too ;)

Eureka or Bust!

List of Championships by sport:

Men's Ice Hockey (8) 1993, 1994, 1996, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2014

Archived