Sportslogos College Athletics Association *UNIFORMS BEGIN PAGE 21!*

the_grateful_ted

Name of University: Waxahachie State University

Nickname: Buffaloes

Location (City, State): Waxahachie, Texas

Colors: Buffalo Brown and Victory Green

4square.png

Buffalo Creek Teachers College was founded in 1929, to act as a more secular and liberal alternative to Waxahachie's other academic center, Trinity University (now in San Antonio). Buffalo Creek Teachers College focused not only on the pursuit of knowledge, but passing that knowledge on to the next generation of young Texan minds. BCTC became an epicenter for training teachers that would go on to make names for themselves all around the state. 

In 1967, Buffalo Creek Teachers College officially rebranded itself as Waxahachie State University. 1970 saw the first and only season of collegiate sports in the history of this highly regarded academic institution, as the Waxahachie State Buffaloes football team would struggle to a woeful 0-10 record, scoring only 2 touchdowns all season. Interest in the program never really took off, and the athletic department was cancelled after the inaugural season.

After decades of rumors and rumblings, and a sizable donation from some very successful alumni, the Waxahachie State University Buffaloes will be returning to action in the fall of 2016, for the first time since the 1970 season. Football, Men and Women's Hockey, and Men and Women's Basketball will be the flagship sports, with a strong possibility of Baseball and Softball to be added in the summer.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the primary I removed black and replaced it with navy blue. On the wordmarks I changed the white w/ black to white w/ columbia. I also darkened the navy series wide to help differintiate it from a purple. I left on black wordmark to be used for a "blackout" promotion.

Great_Lakes_U-Primary.pngGreat_Lakes_U-Wordmarks.png

40 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

Name: Alaska Juneau State University

Nickname : Kodiaks

Colors: Sky Blue, Navy Blue

(logos from top to bottom: Primary, Wordmark, Secondary) (Alternate logo in progress)

AJSTU & AJ.png

University of Alaska Junea State University (usually shortened to Juneau State or Alaska Juneau) was founded in 1983. During their history, they've sported the Kodiak paw after the Kodiak bear. Their colors have always been an array of blues although for a short time in the 1990s gold was used. They have one of the premier hockey programs in the nation, being the school's first sport in 1989. In 2006, AJSTU adopted a football program (now in the highest level of college football) along with a basketball program in 2009. A baseball program and a women's volleyball program was adopted for the 2016 season as the university continues to grow at an extreme rate. For the 2019 season, a cross country program will be implemented.

The college's motto is "Eureka or Bust!," citing the Gold Rush in the 1800s that forced the founding of Juneau. During playoff matches or important games at Joe Juneau Field or Richard Harris Stadium (named after the two founders of the city of Juneau) this chant can be heard by the fans. The college's mascot is Growls the Bear and can be seen wearing the number 83 on his assorted jerseys after the year the college was founded.

Academically, the college ranks as the best in Alaska and in the top 10 for public schools in the entire nation. They are known for their AJSTU Medical Program being the cream of the crop. The campus has around 10,000 students with roughly 8,000 undergrads. Despite the small school, they are known for their on-campus living (the dormitories were rebuilt in 2014 along with a new cafeteria area that opened this school year).

The latest rebrand was when Nike took hold of the team. They kept the classic paw the same, but created some whacky uniforms, adding black into the color scheme and attempting to bring back gold into the color scheme. 

AJSTU's main two sports are hockey and football, although basketball is growing in popularity. The team has one of the best hockey teams in the nation as people travel all the way from Fairbanks to see a game. They have won several championships throughout the years. The college had a scandal in 1990 when they were exposed for paying off Russian players, with the authorization of the government, to play for AJSTU and later in the NHL instead of the Russian leagues. They still have a large Russian presence on the team, although today the players are not involved in a scandal. 

The team has gotten better in football as well, making a football game the event to attend on Saturdays in Juneau. They jumped to Division 1 in 2012 and have since been decent. They've yet to go to a bowl although this might be the year as last year the team went 5-7, their best Division 1 record, before losing a heartbraker at home in the final 2 minutes. The basketball team is still young and needs time to grow but fans are still optimistic. The baseball team finished in last, but that did not stop the games from having a show of fans in sky blue. Women's volleyball is also fairly young but is starting to grow a serious following in Juneau.

Although the college has not had much athletic success outside hockey, fans still come to games, cheering loudly and proudly. Hope is always in the air as optimistic fans hope that this could be the year the team has a run. Mockingly, rival schools call the fans "Sea of Blues" since they are notorious for losing big games. Of course, we have our fair share of nicknames for them too ;)

Eureka or Bust!

This is awesome! The super simple primary is really good looking, and the back story is intriguing (I like the Russian hockey players part).

@TheLogoManiac13 Each change is a huge improvement, looking good!

Name: University of New England (Boston)

Nickname: Rebels

Colors: Red, White, Blue

Yeet.png

Founded in 1878 by a group of scholars from Providence, UNE has grown into a school for the state's top athletes and many Harvard rejects. The school is located within 2 city blocks and the 10,000 seat stadium is right in the heart of the campus along with the untouched, original, 1878 main hall. Over 17,000 students attend UNE and majors span from literature and business to arts and science. The athletic program has become the pride of the school with each team being competitive year in, year out. UNE puts most of their money toward their hockey and soccer programs as they've produced dozens of professionals over the past decade. In 1978 another in Maine attempted to rename themselves to UNE but were eventually defeated in court. In 2013, the school acquired over 10 million dollars from an investor's will and began to buy new plots of land to build new, modern facilities for science, athletics and engineering. Since the plots weren't too large, the area around the campus is littered with old brick and marble buildings as well as a few modern highrises. The school also focusses heavily on safety and maintaining a beautiful campus which are some of the leading reasons many find their way to UNE as well as the diversity of studies. The students, being so close to all the rinks, arenas and fields, often are extremely prevalent at any sports matches, especially hockey, basketball, football and big matches for soccer. In 2009, the soccer team was eliminated from the playoffs after the fans charged over security and onto the field away against BC. 

#UNE

sigsgsg.png.dd2c63fee3388b4132af271cae3c34b5.png

40 minutes ago, XenonDesigns said:

Name: University of New England (Boston)

Nickname: Rebels

Colors: Red, White, Blue

Yeet.png

Founded in 1878 by a group of scholars from Providence, UNE has grown into a school for the state's top athletes and many Harvard rejects. The school is located within 2 city blocks and the 10,000 seat stadium is right in the heart of the campus along with the untouched, original, 1878 main hall. Over 17,000 students attend UNE and majors span from literature and business to arts and science. The athletic program has become the pride of the school with each team being competitive year in, year out. UNE puts most of their money toward their hockey and soccer programs as they've produced dozens of professionals over the past decade. In 1978 another in Maine attempted to rename themselves to UNE but were eventually defeated in court. In 2013, the school acquired over 10 million dollars from an investor's will and began to buy new plots of land to build new, modern facilities for science, athletics and engineering. Since the plots weren't too large, the area around the campus is littered with old brick and marble buildings as well as a few modern highrises. The school also focusses heavily on safety and maintaining a beautiful campus which are some of the leading reasons many find their way to UNE as well as the diversity of studies. The students, being so close to all the rinks, arenas and fields, often are extremely prevalent at any sports matches, especially hockey, basketball, football and big matches for soccer. In 2009, the soccer team was eliminated from the playoffs after the fans charged over security and onto the field away against BC. 

#UNE

I think it's missing what mine was originally missing, a good strong primary logo. The guns are a solid secondary but a primary is missing.

10 minutes ago, TheLogoManiac13 said:

I think it's missing what mine was originally missing, a good strong primary logo. The guns are a solid secondary but a primary is missing.

Yea I see what you're saying, they definitely do give off a secondary vibe...I might try to make some sort of mascot but I tend not to be good at that stuff.

sigsgsg.png.dd2c63fee3388b4132af271cae3c34b5.png

Name: University of the Iron

Nickname: Legion

Colors: Soot, Iron, and White

Originally a blacksmith apprenticeship started by Isak Hansson in 1889, the University of the Iron is based in Hibbing, Minnesota in the heart of the Iron Range. Known for having some of the largest iron mines in the world, the Iron Range was the perfect spot for Hansson to teach aspiring blacksmiths the trade. Eventually the apprenticeship was expanded and Hansson began employing more instructors and teaching different trades such as welding, and iron-working. By the turn of the century, Hansson had become the president of what was then called the Minnesota School of Metal. At the beginning of the United States' involvement in World War II President Isak Hansson died after serving as the head of the establishment for more than fifty years. World War II proved to be a spark that helped the school grow as hundreds of men and women flocked to the school to learn how to weld and iron-work. Many of the tanks used by the United States were assembled in Hibbing thanks to the help of the students and faculty. A few decades later after the industry had died down the school struggled to keep a steady enrollment. The school was forced to cut all athletics including their famous hockey team which had seen the names of the famous "Iron Line" from the 1980 US Olympic Men's Hockey team on the back of their sweaters. Mark Pavelich, John Harrington, and Buzz Schneider all broke numerous records as they went on to win six straight NCAA Championships from the 1974-79 seasons. So by 1982 the athletic department had been de-funded and the money was spent on expanding the school's specialties. In 1982 mining engineering was now offered at the newly renamed "University of the Iron". With the addition of this new profession, the school saw dramatic increases in enrollment and endowment. The name change was meant to represent a new age for the school and for the inhabitants of Hibbing. With the urbanization of the Twin Cities and the United States in general, the school began to flourish as more and more high rises and larger projects were constructed. In 1985 the athletic department got its funding back and the town of Hibbing got their beloved Legion back. Now seen as one of the top-producers of highly skilled hockey players and large nimble offensive linemen, Hibbing is enjoying the success of their small town team.

Iron Legion Style GuideNew.png

5 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Name of University: Waxahachie State University

Nickname: Buffaloes

Location (City, State): Waxahachie, Texas

Colors: Victory Green, Buffalo Brown

4square.png

3 hours ago, Chapeeko said:

Name: University of the Iron

Nickname: Legion

Colors: Maroon, Gray, and White

Originally a blacksmith apprenticeship started by Isak Hansson in 1889, the University of the Iron is based in Hibbing, Minnesota in the heart of the Iron Range. Known for having some of the largest iron mines in the world, the Iron Range was the perfect spot for Hansson to teach aspiring blacksmiths the trade. Eventually the apprenticeship was expanded and Hansson began employing more instructors and teaching different trades such as welding, and iron-working. By the turn of the century, Hansson had become the president of what was then called the Minnesota School of Metal. At the beginning of the United States' involvement in World War II President Isak Hansson died after serving as the head of the establishment for more than fifty years. World War II proved to be a spark that helped the school grow as hundreds of men and women flocked to the school to learn how to weld and iron-work. Many of the tanks used by the United States were assembled in Hibbing thanks to the help of the students and faculty. A few decades later after the industry had died down the school struggled to keep a steady enrollment. The school was forced to cut all athletics including their famous hockey team which had seen the names of the famous "Iron Line" from the 1980 US Olympic Men's Hockey team on the back of their sweaters. Mark Pavelich, John Harrington, and Buzz Schneider all broke numerous records as they went on to win six straight NCAA Championships from the 1974-79 seasons. So by 1982 the athletic department had been de-funded and the money was spent on expanding the school's specialties. In 1982 mining engineering was now offered at the newly renamed "University of the Iron". With the addition of this new profession, the school saw dramatic increases in enrollment and endowment. The name change was meant to represent a new age for the school and for the inhabitants of Hibbing. With the urbanization of the Twin Cities and the United States in general, the school began to flourish as more and more high rises and larger projects were constructed. In 1985 the athletic department got its funding back and the town of Hibbing got their beloved Legion back. Now seen as one of the top-producers of highly skilled hockey players and large nimble offensive linemen, Hibbing is enjoying the success of their small town team.

Iron Legion Style Guide.png

These are both awesome, classy looking letter logos. Send them over to me so I can get them on the map!

@Bruins Nice choice for the wordmark. It goes well with your team. If I could give some advice on the primary logo, maybe you could thicken the facial outline, as well as the cheekbone(?) outlines. That would really make this a great identity.

@RevNet I love the choice of colors, and I think the name Bandits could make for a fun concept. I'm not sure what program you're using, but I'm going to give some pointers on your primary mark as well. I think you should just stick to your three colors for the mascot, gold, red, black, and possibly white for some highlights. Try to create a thick black outline for the whole logo. Maybe move the scarf down a little, and put some lines to imply a nose. One thing that needs some work is the face in particular. I think you're trying to go for some kind of realism with the eyes, but I think you should simplify them a little, and make them fully black. As for the colors, you could use yellow for the skin tone, red for the scarf, and white for highlights. I think highlights and some shadowing would add some depth this logo needs. Here's a bandit logo I did a while back to give you an idea of what you could try.

YogfO0E.png

I hope this wall off text hasn't discouraged you in any way, you're really off to a good start! Just a few adjustments would really tie this concept together. I think your other two logos are very promising. 

@~Bear Again another great idea, and I love the detail you put into the description. The colors are what I would imagine for an Alaskan school. The wordmark logo is very collegiate like. The paw logo is great, but I'm seeing a little pixelation here and there. Do you have the means to vectorize it? If not, I'd be happy to do that for you.

@ColeJSuch a beautiful clever mark. Can't wait to see more!

@TheLogoManiac13 To parrot sleuthpanther, every time you post your concept is getting better and better. Well done!

@XenonDesigns Your design is so simple, yet it just works. I love it :D I do agree with ldconcepts that a UNE over the muskets would be beneficial.

@Chapeeko Great backstory and idea. I really think the primary logo is perfect for a college. The academic logo is as well. However, I find it strange to have gradients on the wordmark if nothing else has gradients. Did it just look empty without them?

@Davidellias Nice idea, although I was secretly hoping for a German Shepard mascot :D As stated previously, I think you should thicken the outlines on the letters. Good job though.

This thread is going to be great, I should have my university up soon.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

6 minutes ago, RevNet said:

Updated my logo set for UWM.

Looking better! I still would simplify the eyes further, and maybe make the eyebrows thicker, but that's completely up to you. Way to improve your logo!

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

12 minutes ago, ZionEagle said:

Looking better! I still would simplify the eyes further, and maybe make the eyebrows thicker, but that's completely up to you. Way to improve your logo!

I'll second both of those points. You could also make the eyes less almond like and more curved or angry on their own, kinda combining the eyebrows with the eye in one shape. I would also get rid of the black outlines around the white shapes on thr bandanna. I think you also need a thicker "key line" in your logo. Maybe around the base logo, add a thicker white or yellow outline, and then a thicker black outline around that. Don't be afraid to thicken the outlines up to. They could be at least 3x thicker than they are now. Already a huge improvement though, nice work.

Archived