Any Given Sunday - franchise redesigns

Teemu Savolainen

AGS_poster-02.png

This is one my favorite projects! Inspired by one the greatest sports movie ever made, Any Given Sunday by Oliver Stone.

So a while ago I started to redesign those fantasy teams represented in the movie. Many of them will never be seeing in the any of the scenes, so that gave me a lot of freedom to operate. Perhaps because of the budjet, the design of the teams are quite poor, I mean nothing like NFL franchises naturally, so I redesigned them as such. I used a couple of free templates found on internet and mixed those to my liking. Any way I’m not sure who made those in the first place, so if you happen to come across your template, please let me know and I will give you credit for them.

MIAMI SHARKS

The first team will be Miami Sharks. The fantasy franchise that the story is all about. In the movie the Sharks wear mainly black outfit with a little bit of white and the logo on the helmet was very awkwardly designed shark. I wanted to create something that communicated speed and strenght of those predators of the ocean. I ended up creating an abstract logo of the shark that is funcitions also as a stripe pattern for the rest of the uniform.

I stayed with the black as a main color, but took that teal from San Jose Sharks, because I wanted to add something fresh and florida-like element to the overall identity.

Ended up with a pretty solid and convincing design that works very well.

Sharks_logo.jpgSharks_Home.jpgSharks_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

ALBUQUERQUE AZTECS

The next in line will be an expansion team in New Mexico. I’ve always wanted to do some kind of a design out that really nice 70’s NASL team LA Aztecs. That was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking about this New Mexican team.

So the logo is actually from that old soccer franchise as it is. I updated the logotype to a more contemporary font.

The uniform follows that awesome logo. That nice wing pattern is can found in the shouler stripes as well as from the helmet. That dark navy really lightens that orange up and creates a very electrifying contrast between the two colors. Truly an eye catching combo!

Aztecs_logo.jpgAztecs_Home.jpgAztecs_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

OREGON PIONEERS

The one of the many teams that isn’t actually in the movie. So I trully had a Tabula Rasa on this one.

Green and yellow comes from the Oregon Ducks’ football team as well as Green Bay Packers.

Oh, and the logo is something I found on googling pioneers logos. I redesigned that to meet the needs of this project, so I’m not taking credit for it other than customizing it a little bit.

Pioneers_logo.jpgPioneers_Home.jpgPioneers_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

CHICAGO RHINOS

The Rhinos plays the game against the Sharks early in the movie. Rhinos uniforms were white-green-yellow with a pretty basic silhouette of a rhino on their helmet. Nothing else to say about them.

The redesign goes entirely a new direction by ditching everything, except the rhino itself. Color idea comes from the real life football franchise from Chicago – The Bears. The navy, burnt orange and gray are a nice scheme with strong contrasting colors.

I wanted to create a more contemporary image of a rhino that communicates aggresivenes and strenght. And yeah, as you can see, one of the design inspiration came from one to the energy dring giants whose charging bulls are a one of the greatest helmet decorations  ever!

Rhinos_logo.jpgRhinos_Home.jpg

Rhinos_Road.jpg

Blog_v01.jpg

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

For Chicago I'd get rid of the circle on the helmets. It looks like an ad for Red Bull.

I know, and they look great!

Seriously though, you're right that in the real life that wouldn't do because yeah, it's basically an add for Red Bull. But that design element was simply too cool to pass down on this case. Like I said on the post, I think that bull on a red circle on both sides of helmets (racing, skiing, football, you name it) are simply stunning! Maybe I'm a victim of advertising but cant help it... :-)

Blog_v01.jpg

Archived