Steelman

United Hockey Alliance (UHA) - Fictional History: 1940 Playoffs

If you send me a blank version of the template, I can edit out the helmet if you want. I like the designs. 

I am pleased with what you have so far! I guess I'll root for the Knights for now, simply because I never expected orange and brown for a New York team. I can't wait for the rest of the teams, especially the Owls!

I like these, but if my memory serves correct, then some teams, if not all, should only have one jersey, because it wasn't till the 50s when two jerseys became mandatory and the white jerseys start to pop up.

I mean I love New York's unis but to me the logo slightly looks like it should be on a baseball cap...that or the jersey striping should be different

Personally I'm waiting on one city to arrive in the league. But I'll probably root for..the Zephyrs until they arrive.

4 hours ago, Uglybus said:

If you send me a blank version of the template, I can edit out the helmet if you want. I like the designs. 

Thanks Uglybus! I can take it out, I was just leaving it blank. But I'll take it out for the next three as it does distract.

4 hours ago, BengalSteve said:

I am pleased with what you have so far! I guess I'll root for the Knights for now, simply because I never expected orange and brown for a New York team. I can't wait for the rest of the teams, especially the Owls!

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, RedfieldNick said:

I like these, but if my memory serves correct, then some teams, if not all, should only have one jersey, because it wasn't till the 50s when two jerseys became mandatory and the white jerseys start to pop up.

Thanks! The only NHL team in 1940-41 without a second jersey was the New York Rangers. I'm not sure if a second jersey was required, but the Rangers didn't add one until the 51-12 season. For the purposes of my league, however, I decided to have the teams have two jerseys, though Toronto's team originally had a single jersey and I may go back to that when I post them.

51 minutes ago, New York's Greatest said:

I mean I love New York's unis but to me the logo slightly looks like it should be on a baseball cap...that or the jersey striping should be different

Thanks! I admit, they're very simple on purpose, so they have plenty of room to grow.

30 minutes ago, Darknes said:

Personally I'm waiting on one city to arrive in the league. But I'll probably root for..the Zephyrs until they arrive.

I wonder what city that is... :P

7 hours ago, Steelman said:

I wonder what city that is... :P

@Darknes Boise, Idaho?

1 hour ago, Darknes said:

Nope :P

Really all the signs pointed towards Boise and Boston :P

Alright, random generator alert! Who's ready to see a Toronto team in red? (and Columbia/robin blue for what it's worth)

TORONTO FALCONS (1940):

Toronto%20Falcons%201940_zpsiwij49ia.png

Toronto%20Falcons%201940%20Uniforms_zpse

The Falcons sport a single jersey set for the inaugural season. Featuring a unique shade of Columbia/robin/sky blue on deep red. Double stripes on the sleeves, a triple stripe pattern on the bottom of the jersey and socks and a single wide stripe on the pants. The "Flying T" graces the front and paired with thin block numbers.

TEAM BRIEF: Toronto Falcons

Owner: Stephen Blevins (65) - Hometown: Toronto, ON - Occupation:

Coaches: HC Lou Wampler, AC Len Fitzpatrick

Best Player: F Preston Levens (#8)

Key Players: G Kirby Kaulbeck (#55), F Blaine Krynicki (#42), D Stephen Clinton (#25), F Arthur Lyons (#9), F Roman Cervoni (#68)

Stephen Blevins was given control of a Toronto club as more of an afterthought and appeasement of the Graham Nelson complaint about Canadian teams. Blevins, a Toronto native, has worked in the automobile industry since a teenager and founded a line of racing cars called the Falcon, which inspired the team name. He saw a hockey team as an opportunity to expand his brand and generate extra income for his business dealings and decided to move forward with the offer.

While Blevins is the least hockey knowledgeable owner, he chose one of the best hockey coaches in Canada to manage the team in Lou Wampler. He has a reputation of being a bit of a hard-nosed coach but one with plenty of charisma and intelligence. The Falcons' far and away best player is Preston Levens, a generational talent at the forward position, with a combination of size, skill and creativity that is unmatched in the early stages of the new league. Goaltender Kirby Kaulbeck is unproven but there has been quite a bit of hype about his skillset. Krynicki and Clinton are a veteran presence on what is a very young team that will need time to grow and mature. With Levens leading the way, the onus will be on Kaulbeck to hold down the net if the Falcons are to be competitive in their first season but optimism is high among the fans and the general consensus among league owners and coaches is the Falcons have as much if not more talent than any team in the league.

C&C is welcomed! I removed the helmets from this one, since I agree that they distracted from the presentation. I'll be updating the previous posts as well. Thanks.

So, what's the random color generator you use?

6 hours ago, Uglybus said:

So, what's the random color generator you use?

I have used Coolors to much success for other leagues, but for this league I just created a randomized selection in Excel with just the basic colors for a primary and an expanded selection for secondary colors.

I love this series so far; Detriot has to be my favorite. I really like how you did the T/falcon, but it looks a lot like a dove to me.

14 hours ago, ZionEagle said:

I love this series so far; Detriot has to be my favorite. I really like how you did the T/falcon, but it looks a lot like a dove to me.

Thanks Zion! Definitely appreciate it. I altered the logo a bit to look more like a falcon.

Toronto%20Falcons%201940_zpslyupvmle.png

Up next we have the Chicago Zephyrs:

CHICAGO ZEPHYRS (1940):

Chicago%20Zephyrs%201940_zpszwnsvkcq.png

Chicago%20Zephyrs%201940%20Uniforms_zpsv

The Zephyrs utilize three colors of dark blue, orange and a mustard yellow. A circular logo is on a blue jersey is adorned with wide orange sleeve stripes that have a unique blue-yellow argyle pattern. The stripe and pattern is also across the bottom of the jersey and inside a pair of thin stripes on the socks. The away jersey is same with white and the socks have yellow stripes. The jersey numbers are block with a drop shadow.

TEAM BRIEF: Chicago Zephyrs

Owner: Bernie MacLean (67) - Hometown: Buffalo Grove, IL - Occupation: Railroad Executive

Coaches: HC Johnny Alexander, AC Wayne Mitchell

Best Player: F Eli Lawton (#3)

Key Players: G Vince Littlejohn (#29), G Adam Jorgensen (#1), F Cy Millen (#20), D Tom Peterschmidt (#8), D Clyde Van Lon (#50)

Zephyrs owner Bernie MacLean made a fortune in the railroad industry and has lately become more of a hobbyist, starting unique business ventures because he can. Hockey was always one of his passions and he jumped at the idea of the new professional hockey league. MacLean's health is a concern, he's the second oldest owner, but has a long list of recent health issues. MacLean has plenty of sway with politicians and business people in both the U.S. and Canada, however, and is an asset to a new league.

MacLean's hire of a very inexperienced Johnny Alexander brought some criticism but the team believes he can be a very good coach. He has an uphill battle though as the Zephyrs roster boasts few playmakers. Eli Lawton is 30 and has an injury report like his owner, but if when healthy can be an electric forward capable of carrying a team on his back. Vince Littlejohn is green and Adam Jorgensen is aging quickly. The duo of defensive veterans Tom Peterschmidt and Clyde Van Lon are the lone strong line on the team, but there is optimism about young forward Cy Millen moving forward. The Zephyrs hope that they can compete and stay healthy and build on a veteran presence.

Thanks in advance for C&C! One more team and then we can move to the first season!

Well sometimes real life takes over but I'm back with my Philadelphia set. I spent a lot of time trying to craft a quirky logo and it's a little rough still, but I think this does the trick. I'd appreciated C&C though, especially on their uniforms. I'm not sure if they're a touch too modern in style.

PHILADELPHIA OWLS (1940):

Philadelphia%20Owls%201940_zpse516k9mf.p

Philadelphia%20Owls%201940%20Uniforms_zp

The Owls' colors were generated, thus a fairly similar three color palette. The colors will evolve over time, especially when the TV era begins. The dark red/maroon is the primary color for now and featuring double stripes with the second and third colors. Both sets have a brown yoke, but different collars. Maroon pants on both sets. Basic block numbers with a tan outline.

TEAM BRIEF: Philadelphia Owls

Owner: Martin Calhoun (69) - Hometown: Philadelphia, PA - Occupation: manufacturing magnate

Coaches: HC Bruce Brown, AC Louis Russell

Best Player: F Virgil Brockmeyer (#18)

Key Players: G Alton Hatley (#1), G Chuck Henderson (#45), D Dom Isley (#28), F William Norbert (#13), F Troy Englehart (#7)

Owls owner Martin Calhoun is the oldest owner in the league but his unrivaled work ethic is what propelled him to prominence in Philadelphia as he pioneered dozens of manufacturing firms and created thousands of well-paying jobs. Calhoun is known for his no-nonsense approach to life, a trait that is welcomed in the new league, especially in light of the recent spat between Graham Nelson and Telly Wilson. Calhoun believes the people of Philadelphia are excited about a real hockey team in their city.

Calhoun hired a younger version of himself to run his team in Bruce Brown. The even-keeled demeanor of Brown should lend well to a new league and new rosters. Headlining the roster is forward Virgil Brockmeyer, a cerebral grinder who fits the style the Owls are trying to establish, who also has the talent to lead the way in scoring. A team strength is a two-headed monster in goal in the forms of Hatley and Henderson, who are expected to evenly split time. Baby-faced Troy Englehart should provide some speed on the front lines while he learns the ropes behind grizzled veteran Norbert. Defensively, Dom Isley can be an anchor and the Owls have high hopes for him. Calhoun's expectations were made public and plain; he expects to contend immediately so the onus is on coach Brown to position his squad to perform.

(C&C appreciated on all concepts before I move into the first season! Thanks guys!)

1940%20Season_zpszpbzmq6t.png

1940 Season

The inaugural season of the United Hockey Alliance was rocky but overall successful, as Bo Holcomb had envisioned it would be. The public chirping between Telly Wilson and Nelson Graham helped boost recognition of the new league as both teams also played well. The cities of Detroit and Philadelphia, especially, embraced their new teams.

1 - New York Knights

The Knights squad surprised many in grinding to 20 wins and a league-high +9 differential. Led by young standout defenseman Erwin West, and solid goaltending by Neal Dahlheimer, the Knights kept games close and hard-fought and seemed to find ways to score timely goals. A French-Canadian beat writer described them as a “plucky bunch” in an article and the team adopted the phrase as their personal manifesto. Coach Anderson Penny, the youngest coach in the league, proved to be a capable teacher and motivator as the Knights fully embraced his brand of hockey.

2 - Montreal Monarchs

Young stud goalie Leeroy Mackley was a revelation and stole the show for a solid Monarchs roster that also featured the scoring of forward Mitch Barber and a stout if not particularly showy defense. The 19-year-old Mackley provided flashy stops and plays from the net almost every night as the Monarchs allowed a league-low 26 goals and allowed Barber and Co. to score enough to win 17 games and finish 2nd overall with a +5 differential. The coaching duo of George Butler and Al Gifford was rocky throughout the season but owner Nelson sat them down and told them to work it out or he’d fire them both.

3 - Detroit Lancers

The Lancers were a streaky team. Electric at times, powered early and often by forward Tony Minsi and his propensity for scoring in bunches or alternately getting blasted despite a solid defensive core and the presence of highly regarded goalie Craig McCrone manning the net. Something perhaps best reflected by the team posting a league-low 12 losses but only finishing 3rd overall. Coach Nicholas Howard, known for his rich hockey knowledge, kept a steady hand at the wheel and the Lancers settled down toward the end of the season. Owner Telly Wilson also liked to be involved on the team level and often helped assist practices and skate arounds.

4 - Philadelphia Owls

New owner Martin Calhoun was a no-nonsense type and looked especially for that trait in those he hired and signed to the roster. The Owls team was just that, a slow spread-the-puck offense and all-involved defense. Alton Hatley and Chuck Henderson evenly split the net duties and the offense was spearheaded by the veteran William Norbert, rookie Troy Englehart and rising talent Virgil Brockmeyer. The true standout was defenseman Dom Isley. The Owls posted a -3 differential but won just enough games to squeak by Chicago for playoffs. The fans in Philly wholeheartedly cast their loyalties to the new team and the excitement was growing quickly as the Owls qualified for the playoffs in their first year of existence.

5 - Chicago Zephyrs

What the Zephyrs lacked in the net and on defense they made up for in goals. Forward Eli Lawton nearly single-handedly led the way to Chicago’s league-high 43 goals scored. The team featured a solid defensive pairing in Tom Peterschmidt and Clyde Van Lon but the team lacked depth at nearly every position and was not enough to overcome the woes of the talented but struggling netminder Vince Littlejohn along with Swedish veteran Adam Jorgensen. Despite their 5th place finish and lack of talent, they posted a positive +2 differential and team finished strong under coach Johnny Alexander’s leadership.

6 - Toronto Falcons

The Falcons struggled the entire season despite having what many thought was a very talented group. Goalie Kirby Kaulbeck looked out of sync and with no defense to speak of he was plastered almost every night. Talented forwards Preston Levens and Blaine Krynicki also labored to find their rhythm and finally uncorked the scoring much too late in the season to be of any help. Their league-worst 47 goals allowed and -17 differential only highlighted the team issues. It was a very disappointing output for a talented team in a key Canadian market.

1940 Playoff Preview

(1) New York vs (4) Philadelphia

The Knights will square off against the Owls in what presumes to be a close matchup. Both teams feature plenty of grit and love to grind out wins. Many expect this series to be a tough one but New York is the deserving favorite. The good news for the league is both inaugural playoff matchups have nearly sold out their tickets and prices have already risen on the few left.

(2) Montreal vs (3) Detroit

It’s as if the hockey gods were smiling when they made this matchup between the teams of the two owners who have the fastest growing feud in the league. Animosity aside, both owners know the teams themselves don’t have a feud and the key will be which team tunes out the noise. Montreal is favored by two games but some writers are predicting a much closer series.

League Notes:

A Finals MVP will be awarded at the conclusion of the playoff finals series. After the playoffs, league awards will be given, including League MVP, Best Forward, Best Defenseman, Best Goalie, Best Youngster, and best Coach. Two All-Puck teams will be selected, Gold and Silver, each featuring a goaltender, 3 forwards and 2 defensemen, for their exemplary play during the regular season.

(I didn't get much C&C on the last few uniform and logo sets, so please feel free to give any and all feedback. Otherwise I hope you're enjoying the start of this series.)

All of these looks are very nice to begin with, I'm gonna say...New York-Montreal Final

On October 23, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Steelman said:

Well sometimes real life takes over but I'm back with my Philadelphia set. I spent a lot of time trying to craft a quirky logo and it's a little rough still, but I think this does the trick. I'd appreciated C&C though, especially on their uniforms. I'm not sure if they're a touch too modern in style.

PHILADELPHIA OWLS (1940):

Philadelphia%20Owls%201940_zpse516k9mf.p

Philadelphia%20Owls%201940%20Uniforms_zp

The Owls' colors were generated, thus a fairly similar three color palette. The colors will evolve over time, especially when the TV era begins. The dark red/maroon is the primary color for now and featuring double stripes with the second and third colors. Both sets have a brown yoke, but different collars. Maroon pants on both sets. Basic block numbers with a tan outline.

TEAM BRIEF: Philadelphia Owls

Owner: Martin Calhoun (69) - Hometown: Philadelphia, PA - Occupation: manufacturing magnate

Coaches: HC Bruce Brown, AC Louis Russell

Best Player: F Virgil Brockmeyer (#18)

Key Players: G Alton Hatley (#1), G Chuck Henderson (#45), D Dom Isley (#28), F William Norbert (#13), F Troy Englehart (#7)

Owls owner Martin Calhoun is the oldest owner in the league but his unrivaled work ethic is what propelled him to prominence in Philadelphia as he pioneered dozens of manufacturing firms and created thousands of well-paying jobs. Calhoun is known for his no-nonsense approach to life, a trait that is welcomed in the new league, especially in light of the recent spat between Graham Nelson and Telly Wilson. Calhoun believes the people of Philadelphia are excited about a real hockey team in their city.

Calhoun hired a younger version of himself to run his team in Bruce Brown. The even-keeled demeanor of Brown should lend well to a new league and new rosters. Headlining the roster is forward Virgil Brockmeyer, a cerebral grinder who fits the style the Owls are trying to establish, who also has the talent to lead the way in scoring. A team strength is a two-headed monster in goal in the forms of Hatley and Henderson, who are expected to evenly split time. Baby-faced Troy Englehart should provide some speed on the front lines while he learns the ropes behind grizzled veteran Norbert. Defensively, Dom Isley can be an anchor and the Owls have high hopes for him. Calhoun's expectations were made public and plain; he expects to contend immediately so the onus is on coach Brown to position his squad to perform.

(C&C appreciated on all concepts before I move into the first season! Thanks guys!)

Sorry I was not able to comment on this, I too have been busy! But I want to make sure to give feedback for my favorite team. Initially I had something completely different in mind for Philly, maybe a cartoonish, brighter color route, but this seems to fit way better with the owners values and the team play. The look is gritty and unique, I like it a lot, but if there was any team to go with a logo without a letter I thought it would be the owls. I feel that having every logo with a letter in it makes the teams similar in a way. The only thing I would change to this set is the logo, maybe a stand alone owl or something in that direction would do it better.

6 hours ago, Darknes said:

All of these looks are very nice to begin with, I'm gonna say...New York-Montreal Final

Thanks Dark!

6 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Sorry I was not able to comment on this, I too have been busy! But I want to make sure to give feedback for my favorite team. Initially I had something completely different in mind for Philly, maybe a cartoonish, brighter color route, but this seems to fit way better with the owners values and the team play. The look is gritty and unique, I like it a lot, but if there was any team to go with a logo without a letter I thought it would be the owls. I feel that having every logo with a letter in it makes the teams similar in a way. The only thing I would change to this set is the logo, maybe a stand alone owl or something in that direction would do it better.

You're right. Some of it has to do with my own limitations. Creating a logo from a letter is the easiest way for me to start. I was hoping the general shape of the owl would outweigh the shape of the P, but regardless I think the Owls logo will become a secondary logo/path/iconic team mascot sooner than later. I definitely appreciate the feedback.