2016 MLB Post Season Thread

PittsburghSucks

They're going to be questioning why Buck didn't put Britton in for a long time to come. Pretty much up until Opening Day next April.

I mean, he's your best pitcher; bar none. Why don't you try to put him in and shut the door? (Baltimore was in a jam, Britton could've easily been their savior getting them out of it.)

Instead, Ubaldo served up a meatball right down the middle that Edwin smashed into the left field seats.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going into the bottom of the 9th, I knew it was over. No way we were gonna score on Britton, and he'd probably get two innings, then turn to O'Day. 

Then later, when Ubaldo came in, I knew we were gonna win. Baltimore really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with that bullpen management.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

4 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

They're going to be questioning why Buck didn't put Britton in for a long time to come. Pretty much up until Opening Day next April.

As a Patriots fan, it gave me a little insta Pete Carroll to Malcolm Butler deja vu.  

Britton probably should've come in for the 10th, to slam shut the next 2 innings while giving the O's batters 2 innings of their own to win.  If that doesn't pan out, it's still tied, & you can throw in a solid starter, like the Jays did with Osuna & Liriano.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

It was Dusty Baker like. Use your best pitcher against their best hitters then worry about how to finish the game after you get a lead. Don't plan for a lead that you won't get the opportunity to take because you threw your 3rd or 4th best bullpen guy against the meat of their lineup. 

CuBDHHDWEAAxCIS.jpg

It looks like it could be the dude in the white hat because there's at least 7 people looking in his direction. It also could be the person behind him who is hidden. The guy looking down and smiling could be looking at his buddy who threw the can and then immediately sat down. The dude to the left of White Hat has that "drunk, just did something bad, but not gonna own up to it" face. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

That's the issue with the closer role...we are so ingrained in how important that role is...but Showalter's role is to think, well, harder than that.  Bring in arguably the best relief pitcher in MLB to essentially shut them down for two innings...maybe you score during those innings and if not, then you are stuck with the unreliable guys but you don't want to go down with your best arm never getting out there.  As a Twins fan, it was strange seeing Brian Duensing out there.  Buck got away with that one, but really?  Brian Duensing when run run ends it? With Britton in the pen?

As an aside, the evolution of the closer's role is fascinating.  Baseball went decades without much emphasis on it, so it's kind of a strange anomaly that once a game hits extras, it's only the road team that can use the closer in the conventional "closer" role.  I've always kinda thought "slight advantage for the road team."  And if you really buy into that role, then you'd have to agree.  But it looks like a double-edged sword.  Showalter took that advantage and turned it into a disadvantage; I highly doubt that Britton stays in the pen if this game's in Baltimore. So, if your manager rigidly sticks to "the formula" (see; Gardenhire, Ron), I suppose it's the home team's advantage.

It's kinda like using your 5th starter in Game 7 of the LCS to save your ace for Game 1 of the World Series...you can't win tomorrow if you don't get to tomorrow.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Well, the closer is used by the home team in the 9th inning of a tied game generally because there's no save situation to "save" them for. It's only an advantage for the road team if their generally-inferior relievers can match zeroes long enough, but managing for the save is generally grotesque practice and...that was a game with the playoffs on the line, so there's not even any stats to be managing for in that scenario. If Zach Britton had to pitch, the O's take the lead, and he either gets the W and/or someone else gets the save, would Zach really care?

Between last night and Game 5 of the 1995 ALDS, even bullpen genius Buck Showalter sure has a bit of a history of dropping the ball in big situations. 

spacer.png

Toronto certainly has a flair for the dramatic. Now I wouldn't mind them bat-flipping all over Texas again.

I'm back on the Blue Jay wagon for another postseason. Fun as hell.

Go Jays Go, Eh?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It was Dusty Baker like. Use your best pitcher against their best hitters then worry about how to finish the game after you get a lead. Don't plan for a lead that you won't get the opportunity to take because you threw your 3rd or 4th best bullpen guy against the meat of their lineup. 

It looks like it could be the dude in the white hat because there's at least 7 people looking in his direction. It also could be the person behind him who is hidden. The guy looking down and smiling could be looking at his buddy who threw the can and then immediately sat down. The dude to the left of White Hat has that "drunk, just did something bad, but not gonna own up to it" face. 

This deadspin piece suggests that the beer thrower has ducked...

...look at the guy to the right of backwards cap woman.  He's looking down, possibly at his buddy who ducked.

http://deadspin.com/this-is-the-closest-weve-gotten-to-finding-the-beer-thr-1787449226

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Toronto Police have the person's image, they're not publicly releasing it, yet, with hopes they'll first turn themselves in.

Looks like plastic cups for 2017 & maybe even the rest of this year.  All because 3 f'n clownsticks over the years.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

19 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Toronto Police have the person's image, they're not publicly releasing it, yet, with hopes they'll first turn themselves in.

Looks like plastic cups for 2017 & maybe even the rest of this year.  All because 3 f'n clownsticks over the years.

I saw a video earlier today of a camera from a different view point. it appeared showed a lady throwing the can on the field. Videos was deleted about 1-2 hour(s) later. Also heard from buzz around the stadium (as i was there), that it was in fact a woman.

SIG.png

Archived