2016 MLB Post Season Thread

PittsburghSucks

10 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

95% of the people are rooting for the Cubs.

This reminds me of the Avs/Devils SC final where everybody wanted Ray Bourque to win that Cup. No one wanted to see the Devils ruin that moment. Same applies here.

I find the talk from Cubs fans about how Sox fans should be rooting for the Cubs because they're somehow "Chicago's team" to be particularly loathesome. I don't recall Cubs fans rooting for the Sox in 2005. I don't care about any "moment." Go Indians.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick Dodgers post-mortem:

*Starting pitching injuries crippled them.  McCarthy, Ryu, Anderson, Kazmir.

*Resulting starting pitching injuries completely drained the bullpen.  The Cubs caught them while they were on empty.

*If Kersh were any other player he'd have been shut down for the year with the herniated disk.  How he pitched as well as he did is a mystery.

*The lefty pitcher enigma.  If Puig didn't go Puig and if guys like Van Slyke and Thompson were healthy they might have had a better shot.

*Plate discipline completely left towards the end.  Joc, A-Gon, Utley, etc. were swinging at will.

*The Cubs were a steamroller and were the better team.

Off-season priorities:

*Lock up Turner and Jansen.

*Potentially explore the Puig for Braun trade.

*Bring in a legitimate #2 starter.

*Add a couple proven bullpen arms that aren't from the Friedman Bargain Bin.

*Add a right handed bat, probably at 2nd.

VmWIn6B.png

52 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

95% of the people are rooting for the Cubs.

I'm rooting against the Indians, not for these Cubs.  These overdog Cubs who with a title will never stfu for the rest of our lives about this season.
I'm talking '85 Bears x a billion.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

7 hours ago, 2001mark said:

I'm rooting against the Indians, not for these Cubs.  These overdog Cubs who with a title will never stfu for the rest of our lives about this season.
I'm talking '85 Bears x a billion.

When you do something for the first time in 71 years and could do something for the first time in nearly 110 years, you better talk about it.

Will be interesting to see what happens if the Cubs win. The whole "lovable losers" underdog BS will be done and they could likely become just another big market team that bought a title in the public's eyes. You're not an underdog with a $170 million payroll - you are expected to win.

9 hours ago, CRichardson said:

I find the talk from Cubs fans about how Sox fans should be rooting for the Cubs because they're somehow "Chicago's team" to be particularly loathesome. I don't recall Cubs fans rooting for the Sox in 2005. I don't care about any "moment." Go Indians.

I don't expect, need, or want Sox fans to get on board with us. We can take it from here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lots of Red Sox connections on both the Cleveland and Chicago side, so not entirely sure who to root for. Both fan bases also deserve to see a championship. This will be a fun World Series to watch!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I'm a Pirates fans (:mellow:), but I'd rather see the Tribe win. 

Mainly because I feel sorry for Cleveland in general. It'd be cool if they could win an NBA title and World Series, eh?

Also they're the villains/underdogs. I love to root for those teams. 

I wouldnt be upset if the Cubs won though. These are 2 good teams to have in the WS (better than Red Sox/Giants). 

As soon as the Giants lost, I said to my cousin how this was just like last year's CS's, and just the way I like the playoffs if the Yanks aren't in it: whoever wins it's going to be historic.  Little did I know, especially after Game 3, that this was possible, that it could be THIS historic.  These were the two teams I most wanted to see (with Toronto being third and the Dodgers being fifth behind the Giants.  Without the desire for Mattingly to get a ring as a manager and a boost in his resume, I was less into the Giants winning as I have been in past years.  I would have rather seen the even year thing work out.)

30 minutes ago, Brass said:

Lots of Red Sox connections on both the Cleveland and Chicago side, so not entirely sure who to root for. Both fan bases also deserve to see a championship. This will be a fun World Series to watch!

Hah.  My cousin keeps saying about how both teams are only where they are because we were sellers at the trade deadline.  XD

21 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I want this done in 4 or 5. No november baseball, thank you very nice.

Also, go cubs

Ugh...  They really scheduled it that long again?  I wish they scheduled early instead of going that late.  For a while, even when the later half was scheduled to go into November, the series was over quickly.  It took until they scheduled Game 4 for November.

Every time we go into November, it dilutes the baseball history aspect of the gravity of that moment and series as "only" turns to "first" and eventually to "one of".

spacer.png

spacer.png

What a spooky sight in the 9th, a Dodgers players hits a foul ball right into the Bartman area.

At 3:15 you could see the entire Cubs field staff run aside to make room for the Cubs outfielder and no fan seated even dared to reach that ball lol. Everybody pretty much Finn Freezed with a scared look on their face saying go on go on make the catch I'm not touching that ball!

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

So can Steve Bartman finally come out of hiding now? 

Not until after the Series, if they win.  I expect that he'll receive the Buckner treatment.  

At least, the Cubs will attempt to do so.  Given his nature and how soon it is, I don't know that he'd accept.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, GottaDeal said:

Will be interesting to see what happens if the Cubs win. The whole "lovable losers" underdog BS will be done and they could likely become just another big market team that bought a title in the public's eyes. You're not an underdog with a $170 million payroll - you are expected to win.

I had a friend stop by last night who only recently came out as preferring the Cubs over the White Sox and one of the points I brought up during our discussion of baseball was how things will change considerably should the Cubs win two or more titles in the next couple years. For the longest time, they've had the moniker of making losing lovable, but if their method of paying the big bucks to acquire all that talent pays off, they will become more resented than admired. A prime example of this is Boston and how nowadays fans league wide would much rather see them crash and burn than get another trophy. I wonder how that culture shift is going to affect Cubs fandom when they go from a multitude of suck to being the recipients of mass amounts of snark. 

As for the Bartman situation, from what I've seen regarding him, he seems extremely introverted and wouldn't want the attention. If I was a PR guy there, I would reach out and offer him a first pitch at a future game for next year but if he declined that, I'd send him some free gear and a pair of skybox tickets on the house. A Buckner-esque celebration is kind of excessive. I mean, dude just harassed by a bunch of dickhead Lakeview fans, it's not like he was an actual player now.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

16 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

I had a friend stop by last night who only recently came out as preferring the Cubs over the White Sox and one of the points I brought up during our discussion of baseball was how things will change considerably should the Cubs win two or more titles in the next couple years. For the longest time, they've had the moniker of making losing lovable, but if their method of paying the big bucks to acquire all that talent pays off, they will become more resented than admired. A prime example of this is Boston and how nowadays fans league wide would much rather see them crash and burn than get another trophy. I wonder how that culture shift is going to affect Cubs fandom when they go from a multitude of suck to being the recipients of mass amounts of snark. 

Just wait until these show up across America.  That's when the turn begins...

41ccnD48PEL.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cleveland. "City of Champions" with a side order of Browns. Would Cleveland lose their $hit if the Browns got their act together and win a Super Bowl? or do you guys consider these Browns the "replacement" Browns and not the real team and it wouldn't have the same effect. 

Archived