2016 MLB Post Season Thread

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This run Cleveland sports (Browns excluded) is on right now is what's called regressing to the mean. Winning Game 1 of the World Series at home while the NBA team raises their championship banner across the street at the same time will likely never happen ever again. Well deserved for a city that's been through some sh!!, arguably more than anybody. That said, I am sports jealous as can be right now. I want my corner of Ohio to experience this again. 

My Cubs in 5 prediction looks shaky now, but I'm not ready to call this thing in Cleveland's direction just yet. They've played a game now. They know what the World Series is like. The bats could wake up at any time. Also, I think Schwarber is going to be okay. 

It's great to actually care about the World Series again by the way. The last two years without the Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox, or Giants have been way more fun. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

There are encouraging things.  The Cubs stranded 9, and for most of the game there were opportunities to plunk both Kluber & Miller - their best (healthy) pitchers.  It wasn't as lopsided as the score made it seem, but lack of timely hitting (and David Ross getting a veteran's opportunity over Contreras w/ the bases loaded - poor call, Joe) was the game changer.

I don't think the Cubs should be intimidated by the Indians, and vice versa.  They're very similar teams, but obviously Cleveland didn't muck about this postseason.  If the Cubs want to prove they're more than what they are (score none or score 8), now's the time. It's just hard to say which team they'll decide to be on any given night. Wherever they end up, they'll have earned it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It's also worth noting that Schwarber and Contreras both came a few feet shy of homers, which would have made it a 6-3 game, and probably not even that because Joe would've been more aggressive with the bullpen had it been 3-2 late as opposed to 3-0. The Cubs are fine, they didn't win the most games in baseball by accident.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Cubs Blue Jay'd their game 1.  Same f'n expanded strike zone ate them both up.

Cleveland wasn't favoured against Boston, Toronto, & now not Chicago either.  

Francona is now 9-0 in WS games.  

Get the goats out, hide Bartman, this is not going to be easy for the Cubs.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Prediciton is that Cubs will win tonight.  But if they don't get their act together soon, things could get real bad, real fast.  Cleveland has been extremely consistent this postseason, whereas the Cubs... have not.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, VDizzle12 said:

...and I thought Cleveland fans were negative. Holy crap, you lose ONE GAME and everyone is acting like the world is ending. 

That is the procedure.  It is what it is; I don't write the rules.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Cubs fans in panic-mode, flying off the handle after getting shutout by a Cy Young award winner who probably had a career game last night....

Look, the Cubs were shutout TWICE by the Dodgers and totally rebounded from that. This is nothing. Even if Chicago goes down 0-2 in the series, so be it. The Cubs have the offense and pitching to even dig out of that hole. 

Reminder: These aren't your grandfather's Cubbies. Folks need to get a grip.

(Who ever thought I'd be the voice of optimism and reason?)

6uXNWAo.png

Cubs fans need to pump the brakes. The Cubs will fight back from this. I feel like Toronto pulled a Texas in the ALCS, and simply seemed to bow out after Game 1.

Chicago played in an electrically-charged environment in Cleveland, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. They certainly seemed to get rattled; those jitters should go away. Chicago is sending their nigh unhittable ace in Arrieta to the mound.

Have faith; this year still could be your year Cubbies.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

38 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

...and I thought Cleveland fans were negative. Holy crap, you lose ONE GAME and everyone is acting like the world is ending. 

I mean, there's 108 years of evidence saying they have every right to be negative.

Cleveland fans like myself however should be enjoying the ride. Even if we lose the next four, or just the series in general, there is nothing to be ashamed of. This team is down hitters and starting pitchers. They are overachieving. Imagine how good they will be next year though, if the injury bug doesn't strike.

Honestly feels like the Cavs. Make the Finals with an injured squad, win two games.

Make the Finals the next year at full strength, pull off the greatest comeback in sports history.

I'm sure Cubs fans will sign up for two straight World Series appearances, with whatever results come with those.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

This series is a long way from done. Could've easily swung the other way late, but it didn't. If I'm a Cubs fan, I feel pretty good about their chances to take Game 2. Granted they would almost certainly have to win it in Cleveland, but unless they lose tonight, I'd save some of the panic.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

1 hour ago, EvilChameleon said:

I mean, there's 108 years of evidence saying they have every right to be negative.

Cleveland fans like myself however should be enjoying the ride. Even if we lose the next four, or just the series in general, there is nothing to be ashamed of. This team is down hitters and starting pitchers. They are overachieving. Imagine how good they will be next year though, if the injury bug doesn't strike.

Honestly feels like the Cavs. Make the Finals with an injured squad, win two games.

Make the Finals the next year at full strength, pull off the greatest comeback in sports history.

I'm sure Cubs fans will sign up for two straight World Series appearances, with whatever results come with those.

That's pretty much how I feel. I was happy just to make the playoffs after everything they have been through. The Indians aren't good enough to win the World Series this year, but will be good enough next year to hopefully make another run with a full team.

Cubs fans need to realize they are going to win the series. Stop crying because you lost 1 game and didn't get the sweep.

I don't see why the Indians aren't good enough to win the World Series after wrecking Boston and Toronto and putting up a very strong season in the more competitive league. The Cubs have more wins but also got to get fat on Milwaukee and Cincinnati all year.

This will probably take all seven for the Cubs to win, but the Tribe could take it in four with a win tonight.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Indians are 8-1 in the playoffs, which is impressive, but there are two ways to think about that looking at past history: 

1. They're very good and will sustain this level of play for 3 more wins against a tough Cubs team who would have to completely forget how to hit and pitch. In the wildcard era the best record any WS winner ever had was the 99 Yankees and the nonexistant 2005 White Sox who both went 11-1 in the playoffs (the 98 Yankees went 11-2). The average number of losses for a WS winner in the LDS era playoffs is 4.14, which is lower than I thought it'd be. Who had the most losses? The 2011 Cardinals with 7. GFY!

So either that happens or

2. They're hot right now, but due for a few duds.

I think #2 is the more likely scenario. These Indians feel less like those 99 Yankees and more closely resemble some other hot playoff teams who cooled off in the series like last year's Mets, the 14 Royals, the 07 Rockies etc. I could be wrong. Crazier things have happened, but it's a lot to ask a team like theirs to go 11-1. I don't know their schedule, but I'm confident in saying that at some point this year they lost 4 out of 6 to teams worse than the Cubs. Not saying that means they lose this series, but I don't think it'll be a cakewalk either way.

I'll be disappointed if it's short series because this baseball postseason has been a fun ride. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I don't know their schedule, but I'm confident in saying that at some point this year they lost 4 out of 6 to teams worse than the Cubs.

Aside from divisional teams, the Indians went...

1-5 against Baltimore.

2-4 against Boston.

3-4 against Houston.

2-5 against the Yankees.

3-4 against Seattle.

2-5 against Texas.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

Archived