MLB Hotstove 2016-17

buzzcut

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Showalter is a weird manager. He's one of those kind of guys who can turn around a struggling team and set them up very nicely for a post season run, but he's about the last guy I'd want managing my team in the playoffs

So what you're saying is that he's Marty Schottenheimer, baseball edition?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Buck Showalter has many good qualities as a manager, but navigating high-leverage playoff situations is decidedly not one of them. Yankee fans are still angry over him failing to use Mariano in Game 5 of the 1995 ALDS. I think he's since said that he didn't realize what he had in Mo. 

On 10/4/2016 at 11:15 AM, CS85 said:

Which is exactly what's going to happen.  Renteria "knows the system" and I'm guessing he wouldn't be sticking around if they told him they were going to use him as their Dale Sveum, where he gets a cup of managerial coffee while they burn down the house for a few years.

It smacks to me as White Sox kicking of the can.  Franchise is definitely in a quandary, and it's a shame because I want them to succeed, even as a Cubs fan.

I like to think you guys are talking about Edgar Renteria.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

22 hours ago, waltere said:

So what you're saying is that he's Marty Schottenheimer, baseball edition?

I was thinking Bruce Boudreau.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

http://deadspin.com/i-covered-the-braves-for-a-newspaper-that-didnt-exist-1787407685?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow 

Cool read about a guy who pretended to write for a fake newspaper to get intimate access to the 2000 Braves.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 2 weeks later...

31c15eaf706ee9befb5733b0ca84402d.jpg

Above is a photo from 1955 of Ford Frick and Dodgers TV host Happy Felton honoring Dazzy Vance, Roy Campanella, Zack Wheat, Duke Snider, Dixie Walker, Gil Hodges, Cookie Lavagetto, Pee Wee Reese and Jackie Robinson as members of the all-time Brooklyn Dodgers team.

To my knowledge this is the first and only time an all Brooklyn Dodgers team was named by any major publication or news outlet. That is until tomorrow.

Capture.PNG

If anyone out there would like to prove Cunningham's law and show that this claim is untrue on a message board, have at it. I've asked a few people who would know more than me about this subject and that picture is all I've gotten back.

Rumors are swirling around San Diego today as to why Mike Dee was fired/let go as team president so soon after the ownership had said they were committed to keeping him. Apparently according to John Gennaro and others the Padres were so adamant about getting rid of him that they're lawyering up and don't intend to pay off his remaining contract. And MLB is apparently equally happy he's gone. Gennaro in particular is saying that what Dee did was as worse than what you can imagine it would be. Several reporters apparently have off the record sourced the reason, but no one is going on record so they can't release the reason due to the likely legal action to come.

http://www.gaslampball.com/2016/10/19/13336718/rumors-about-mike-dee-s-dismissal-from-the-padres-continue

The Jays should give Edwin a blank check and let Joey Bats walk.

But they haven't really ever done the right thing, outside of lucking into Donaldson.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

9 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Estrada & Happ.  That this club's starting rotation is nearly fine the way it is should not be real.

We lucked into Estrada and Happ, too.

I find it interesting that a decently high percentage of the Jays players are guys who used to just suck, but then turned it on mid-career. Bautista, Donaldson, Encarnacion, Happ, Estrada and Dickey were all nothings for most of their prime years but found something in their late 20's-30's.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Archived