Coyotes apologize for past bad branding with new bad branding

Gothamite

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont see it as self depreciating or shining any bad light on the team. they're admitting to a mistake (or, admitting their past marketing slogans were terrible) and are now saying "we're cutting the BS and will show you what we're about instead of injecting another stupid slogan into the marketing". how many times do you see a good one anyway? most of them from all teams of all sports are stupid too

thats some ballsy, honest stuff if you ask me. and what i expect to see from them now is what i would expect most fans actually want. a more honest and straight forward marketing strategy. does it make you feel better about your team if they lose a game but they're celebrating the 1 goal a player had? they don't have to go around tweeting "well, that sucked. sorry everyone!" but if they can cut some of the nonsense then im interested to see it. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

59 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

what i expect to see from them now is what i would expect most fans actually want. a more honest and straight forward marketing strategy

We'll see.  I'm somewhat less optimistic than you are that this reflects an honest change in the team's approach.

The only thing that really stands out to me is "no promises." No taglines and no excuses is a positive statement but no promises comes off as more negative. We might be good next season BUT NO PROMISES! That's like admitting you might suck. That's like getting married and during the vows the bride says "I wanna love you forever" and you just say "No promises!"

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I can't wait for the middle of the season comments like "These Coyotes 2.0 suck!"

should be a better on-ice product this year, at least. a lot of exciting young skilled guys. I don't really care about the marketing strategy as long as the team is winning, which ultimately is what people's butts in the seats in the valley. probably will be the best on-ice product since 2012 WCF year. also the commercials they are releasing with Doan, Domi, etc are pretty cool, IMO

36 minutes ago, elliott said:

should be a better on-ice product this year, at least. a lot of exciting young skilled guys. I don't really care about the marketing strategy as long as the team is winning, which ultimately is what people's butts in the seats in the valley. probably will be the best on-ice product since 2012 WCF year. also the commercials they are releasing with Doan, Domi, etc are pretty cool, IMO

They seem to have a decent product, but the problem is it seems like a constant revolving door. They groom these guys, and by the time they're good, they're gone. Keep Domi and Duclair around. Make some moves. Be good at hockey.

sig.png

The youngsters are promising but Mike Smith has become a garbage heap and Dave Tippett is ill-suited to coach young finesse players. People just want them to be better than they are because the general manager is a young stats guy. They're still well behind at least four teams in a division that'll probably only send three.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

Will Coyotes 3.0 be named the Quebec Nordiques?

Coyotes 3.0

What's new:

- added French language support

- added daylight savings time compatibility

- removed Shane Doan malware

- new feature: poutine

- minor bug fixes

Coyotes 2.0...the physical manifestation of OITGDNHL.

Seriously. The most (seemingly) honest piece of communication to come out of the organization in years, and they still manage to screw it up. 

We're talking about a team who's previous owner (Moyes) used the team as collateral against his other businesses and then had the franchise file for bankruptcy in an effort to provide a backdoor to Jim (I should really be paying attention to my company rather than desperately trying to relocate a team to Hamilton) Balsillie. Only to have the league buy the team when no other buyers could be found (besides JB that is), and then turn around and extort tens of millions of dollars from the city of Glendale in the form of "arena management fees".

The league manages to keep the charade going for multiple seasons with a litany of would-be owners who'd gladly buy the team if the right incentives presented themselves (like selling a $100 million dollar parking lot to the city...that the city already owns). Finally an ownership group is assembled (IceArizona) to purchase the team, using money and a line of credit from the league itself...and a $10+ million a year subsidy from the city of Glendale (arena management is a very expensive business).

If this were any other league (or any other franchise) our story would end here...but it doesn't. Instead you had new leadership in City Hall who weren't very keen on Glendale being on the hook for over $100 million in subsidies over the lifetime of the Coyote's lease. They asked to renegotiate and were kindly told to pound sand.And this is where things get truly ridiculous... 

In light of the Coyotes unwillingness to budge on their (very sweet) contract with the city, the city decided to do a little digging. What they came up with was a rather innocuous state law that voids any contract between a municipality and a private business if the private business hires anyone who worked for the municipality during the creation of the contract. Low and behold...the Coyotes hired a member of Glendale's legal council within months of the contract being approved. BAM! The lease is nullified and suddenly the Coyotes go from having tens of millions in city funding to nothing (the city made its last payment last week I believe). They Coyotes make a big show about being "evicted" and the ownership makes all sorts of claims about having a "shovel ready" arena project waiting (and waiting, and waiting) in the wings. 

I wish I was making this up...

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The youngsters are promising but Mike Smith has become a garbage heap and Dave Tippett is ill-suited to coach young finesse players. People just want them to be better than they are because the general manager is a young stats guy. They're still well behind at least four teams in a division that'll probably only send three.

We'll see. I think the coyotes will surprise some people this year. Tippett was an assistant for Team North America and seems to have started to let the young guys open up the rink with some more creative and skilled play. but yeah the Central is stacked. Either way. Winning is the best marketing. That's why i personally don't really care what they do with these letters and Coyotes 2.0 and such. no matter how they position it, people aren't going to forget about the past 19 years of mediocrity, especially the past decade of drama. the ownership is looking for a fresh start with the whole marketing thing, and if the team becomes good in the next year or two, then it really will be a fresh start overall, not just "all talk". with our pipeline of talent i.e. Domi Duclair Strome Dvorak Chycrun Fischer Crouse Deangelo i really think the future is bright.  If they continue to lose, they will look very very stupid. it's bold.

I think they'll be very good next year once a lot of the dead cap space is gone (and more importantly, once the windows for San Jose and Anaheim really get to shutting), but in the short term they're too hamstrung by all that to thrive. Let's say for the sake of argument that they overachieve through the first half. Given their cash flow problems and the fact that they have to carry hits for Bolland, Ribeiro, Vermette, Pronger, and gay-hating Pavel Datsyuk in order to get the players they have now, how will they keep pace with teams that do have the flexibility to improve by the deadline?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think they'll be very good next year once a lot of the dead cap space is gone...

My understanding is that a big part of the reason some of those contracts exist (most notably Pronger's contract) is to get the team above the salary floor. Ideally they will be replacing those "filler" contracts with contracts for their up-and-coming talent. What will be interesting to see is how many of the younger players who are eligible opt to sign elsewhere...and for how much. There's no denying the franchise has been an absolute dumpster fire off the ice for years...whether or not promising players choose to stay in that environment will speak volumes about the teams long term viability.

19 hours ago, kroywen said:

Will Coyotes 3.0 be named the Quebec Nordiques?

Based on how the League operates, I actually think they would avoid moving a team out of Canada and then back to Canada. It's idiotic reasoning, but I think they might see it as admitting they were wrong, or something. I could be mistaken, but I think a Raleigh relocation is the only likely route to Quebec's return. At least for as long as the League is holding out hope that they can make Seattle expansion happen.

16 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Coyotes 3.0

What's new:

- added French language support

- added daylight savings time compatibility

- removed Shane Doan malware

- new feature: poutine

- minor bug fixes

Eh, the current model has poutine and Tim Hortons. Canadian concessions are one of the few things they're doing well.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived