Jump to content

Alternate jerseys worn in MLB world series


Thomas

Recommended Posts

The Marlins didn't just wear their black alternates during the 2003 World Series, they clinched while wearing those jerseys:

 

2003_detail.jpg

 

Off the top of my head, they're the only team I can remember actually clinching a World Series while wearing an alternate. The '79 Pirates' gold jerseys were their primary road jerseys, I believe. Not sure about the myriad of A's jerseys in the early 70s, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, one of the first uses of an alternate jersey in the World Series, and likely the first throwback in baseball history, came from the Yankees, of all teams, in the 1953 World Series.

 

The Yankees wore the 1939-1945 version of their pinstriped jerseys at home, with an older version of the interlocking NY, and the number font worn form 1929 to 1945 (which is very similar to the modern-day Red Sox number font):

 

1953-yankees-bauer-yogi-martin-collins-3

 

From the Yankees Uniform Database (http://yankeesuniformdatabase.blogspot.com/p/1940-1959.html):

 

1953NY.png~original

 

They did clinch in these throwbacks in Game 6 at Yankee Stadium. They'd go on to wear these throwbacks at certain points in the 1954 regular season as well.

 

Interesting tidbit of Yankee uniform history, I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 1979 Pirates almost don't count.  They rotated home and away among their entire set of jerseys and pants to the point that there was almost no "primary" or "alternate" designation.

 

Going farther back, a number of teams wore alternate uniforms just designed for the World Series.

 

Examples --

 

1905 Giants --

 

nl_1905_newyork.gif

1911 Giants --

 

nl_1911_newyork.gif

 

1917 White Sox --

al_1917_chicago.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Astros did in 2005 for Game 2.

14 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Actually, one of the first uses of an alternate jersey in the World Series, and likely the first throwback in baseball history, came from the Yankees, of all teams, in the 1953 World Series.

 

The Yankees wore the 1939-1945 version of their pinstriped jerseys at home, with an older version of the interlocking NY, and the number font worn form 1929 to 1945 (which is very similar to the modern-day Red Sox number font):

 

1953-yankees-bauer-yogi-martin-collins-3

 

From the Yankees Uniform Database (http://yankeesuniformdatabase.blogspot.com/p/1940-1959.html):

 

1953NY.png~original

 

They did clinch in these throwbacks in Game 6 at Yankee Stadium. They'd go on to wear these throwbacks at certain points in the 1954 regular season as well.

 

Interesting tidbit of Yankee uniform history, I think.

Wow. That's fascinating. I would love to know the story behind this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

The 1979 Pirates almost don't count.  They rotated home and away among their entire set of jerseys and pants to the point that there was almost no "primary" or "alternate" designation.

 

Going farther back, a number of teams wore alternate uniforms just designed for the World Series.

 

Examples --

 

1905 Giants --

 

nl_1905_newyork.gif

1911 Giants --

 

nl_1911_newyork.gif

 

1917 White Sox --

al_1917_chicago.gif

 

I've always loved that patriotic White Sox uniform they wore in the 1917 World Series. Obviously worn as part of the WWI effort, but I've always loved the design. Would love to see the Sox throw back to it someday. Next year would be the perfect time to do so, given the 100th anniversary of the White Sox's 1917 world title, and America's entry into WWI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

The White Sox did throwback to it in 2001.

hi-res-572726_crop_north.jpg

 

l6nz6qh9gnayfvel8b40k1hif.gif

I had some hazy memories of seeing that jersey as a throwback - glad to see they did in fact throw back to it once. Hoping they do again this season, given the centennial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kroywen said:

I had some hazy memories of seeing that jersey as a throwback - glad to see they did in fact throw back to it once. Hoping they do again this season, given the centennial.

That was actually their Sunday alternate that season. Worn a few times by a wholly unmemorable team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Thomas said:

Oh my ! I feel ashamed.

I actually thought there was a modern day league rule against it.  

There should be a rule against it. Most of the time the teams have the good sense not to, but then you have the Mets wearing this last year 

 

BN-KY997_WSERIE_G_20151027220805.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

There should be a rule against it. Most of the time the teams have the good sense not to, but then you have the Mets wearing this last year 

 

BN-KY997_WSERIE_G_20151027220805.jpg

That volt yellow sleeve is the only thing wrong with these. Cleveland wore their navy jerseys during the 1997 World Series as well. I liked them better than the grey uniforms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Thomas said:

But the last few seasons champions did not wear alternates right ? Giants in 10,12, 14, red sox in 13, Royals 15 ?

I can't remember the Giants ever wearing an alt in a World Series game, and the Red Sox and Royals definitely did not. Yankees in '09 and Cardinals in '11 didn't either (obviously).

 

I'm fairly certain that the '08 Phillies never wore their cream alternates in the WS, and the '06 Cards and '07 Red Sox definitely didn't wear any alts either. So that brings us back to 2005 White Sox, and I can't find for the life of me whether they wore the black alt in the WS that year. They definitely didn't clinch in it though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.