Alternate jerseys worn in MLB world series

Thomas

I absolutely would love a rule against it.  In all sports.  White vs. Gray in MLB and White vs. Primary Dark in other sports.

The Cavs breaking a 50-year drought for the city in those absolute clown suits when they could have been wearing their basic, yet gorgeous primaries is my least-favorite uniform decision of all time, including the Oregon Nike National Championship mess.

MLB is all about tradition.  White vs. gray.  I've accepted that in a 162-game season non-Yankee teams are going to wear more than two jerseys (actually even the Yanks thanks to Stars/Strips and the like), but in the post season, wear your true look.  

However, I'd give them wearing alts in exchange for removing the New Era logo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

I can't remember the Giants ever wearing an alt in a World Series game, and the Red Sox and Royals definitely did not. Yankees in '09 and Cardinals in '11 didn't either (obviously).

I'm fairly certain that the '08 Phillies never wore their cream alternates in the WS, and the '06 Cards and '07 Red Sox definitely didn't wear any alts either. So that brings us back to 2005 White Sox, and I can't find for the life of me whether they wore the black alt in the WS that year. They definitely didn't clinch in it though.

Thanks for the helpful reply. Does this mean we can conclude that wearing alternate jerseys in the WS brings bad luck ? :blink:

I guess we have to, if it only was the 03 Marlins that won after having worn alternates in the series ?

There will never be a rule in MLB banning alternates, even in the World Series. Even with it obviously being a money and merchandising opportunity, not all alternate jerseys are ugly and ruin tradition. There's plenty of good ones that wouldn't kill a World Series game, or any game for that matter.

6 minutes ago, insert name said:

The Mets only wore alternatives in 2000 except for the grey away uniform. 

563126891400002b003c9602.jpeg

mike_bordick_2000_10_21.jpg

What a mucked up identity that was. Though the snow whites were worn far more often than the pinstripes, as I recall, so those were kind of their primary homes for all intents and purposes.

18 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Despite the fact they were available for purchase, I don't believe the Cardinals wore their Sunday hats on Sundays during the '04, '06, '11, or '13 World Series. 

They did in 2013. Didn't play a home sunday game in the other 3.

23 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The most the Giants did was wear their alternate cap (and better road uniform) in 2010 for game 4 of the series:

Other than that, they haven't worn alternates in their recent World Series runs.

I thought it was a good move for the Giants not to wear their Road SF Sunday Alternate jersey and at the time orange billed Sunday Alt hat when they clinched in Detroit back in 2012.

SEAsig.png

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I wonder if the Rockies produced their all purple caps with the 07 world series patch? I know they weren't worn but those caps apparently still exist and have never been officially retired so I'm curious.

That situation frustrates me, that is the Rockies cap I have and at the stadium and around town I see a lot of other people wearing it, yet they never wear it in games. And it isn't some kind of hatred of purple, because they were the purple jerseys all the time. Just strange and annoying.

1 minute ago, Scoo8b said:

That situation frustrates me, that is the Rockies cap I have and at the stadium and around town I see a lot of other people wearing it, yet they never wear it in games. And it isn't some kind of hatred of purple, because they were the purple jerseys all the time. Just strange and annoying.

100% agree. It's weird. Almost weirder that the cap still exists and has never been retired, to my knowledge at least.

Archived