2016 MLB Playoffs

40 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Personally, I think the name is fine.  The logo is definitely stereotypical/racist.  Not sure how people can still defend it.

Have we considered a possible deep-seated psychological angle? Human beings are naturally going to react positively to a smiling face, even if Chief Wahoo isn't what you'd call a natural face. People think they see a smile in their latte foam or a wall socket and they get all giddy. Strangely, I've even had a couple non-CCSLC people discuss the Ball in Glove with me and try to explain that there's something abstractly warm and friendly about it. 

It would be nice if fans of Indian-themed sports teams never dressed up as Indians for games, though, because that's the kind of stuff that more often than not seems to lead to a dark place. I don't think Wahoo in and of himself is harnessed as a symbol of hatred, at least not today, but if this is a logo Indians fans hold dear, then they need to meet in the middle and operate at a remove from controversy as much as possible. 

But what do I know, I'm just the Identity Politics Is Not A Meaningful Priority guy here now :/

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Have we considered a possible deep-seated psychological angle? Human beings are naturally going to react positively to a smiling face, even if Chief Wahoo isn't what you'd call a natural face. People think they see a smile in their latte foam or a wall socket and they get all giddy. Strangely, I've even had a couple non-CCSLC people discuss the Ball in Glove with me and try to explain that there's something abstractly warm and friendly about it. 

It would be nice if fans of Indian-themed sports teams never dressed up as Indians for games, though, because that's the kind of stuff that more often than not seems to lead to a dark place. I don't think Wahoo in and of himself is harnessed as a symbol of hatred, at least not today, but if this is a logo Indians fans hold dear, then they need to meet in the middle and operate at a remove from controversy as much as possible. 

But what do I know, I'm just the Identity Politics Is Not A Meaningful Priority guy here now :/

I would agree, its not a symbol of racism, but it contains incredibly stereotypical/racist characteristics.  I think it comes from a lack of understanding, to be honest.

When it comes to the similarity of the face... I guess it comes down to who is actually protesting it and who is supporting it.  From being in town, there used to be a large Native American population that protested it every year, but the numbers have seemed to dwindle.  I would say the majority of people protesting now are Caucasian or African Americans, with a few Native Americans.  However, I can't be certain.

I am all about personal freedoms in this country... but I'm also about not being a prick to people that you persecuted pretty heinously in your nation's history.  I think if you look at it objectively, you can determine that its a racist/stereotypical representation of Native Americans... the only defense seems to be, "Well, its part of our history."  Ok, fine.  But sorry Tribe fans, we don't really have a storied baseball history.  We have Bob Feller, Larry Doby, and a run of about 5 years in the 90's where we came back with 0 rings.  I would love to be the first professional franchise to get out ahead of it.  Cleveland's entire motto is Progress and Prosperity.  Be progressive!

On 10/15/2016 at 5:45 PM, rxmc89 said:

None of the teams are going to wear BP jerseys during postseason games, so I guess you'll be rooting for everybody.

Okay, well, Spring Training jerseys, then.  Actually, I was being sarcastic/facetious, but regardless of what they're called, they don't belong in a Major League game, especially during the postseason. I can, by far, tolerate monochrome uniforms of color before these mismatched top/bottom combinations, and yes, even the Indians and Phillies Bloody Mary uniforms of the 1970s and the Pirates and A's yellow.  Basketball and baseball uniforms should appear as one unit, not a mismatched top and bottom.

8 minutes ago, insert name said:

They ripped off the Postseason patch and replaced it with the World Series patch. 

Baseball players are extremely superstitious. I'm pretty sure he didn't want a brand new hat for the World Series.

You just made the Iron List!!

Iron List.png

On 12/10/2016 at 6:17 PM, TheBigFiz21 said:
1 hour ago, HighCheese said:

Navy alts for cleveland again

It just seems loke theyre going out of their way to avoid using the block C caps this postseason

On 15/10/2016 at 7:48 PM, Rj0498 said:

1 hour ago, HighCheese said:

Navy alts for cleveland again

It just seems loke theyre going out of their way to avoid using the block C caps this postseason

This makes sense. Though I'm sure they could just wear wahoo with their greys. 

Wouldn't complain if they finally decided, down 3-1, that maybe they should wear grey for good luck, and then lose to the cubs 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived