NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

46 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The one change I'd make here is put the logo of the team in possession next to the down and distance like NBC's Thursday graphics.

I assume that's what the yellow underline under the 10 is supposed to tell us.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I figure it is that way so you see it when other networks are using highlights of a FOX-branded game.

I'm fine without the logos. I wish they had the scores of other games in the sport being covered scrolling on the bottom (NFL only for NFL, MLB only for MLB).  Yes, I have my phone, but you can bring the content I want since I'm already watching this content.

This is what I would have done.  Original proportions, shrunken, logo version:

nVVfpqa.png

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Oh, I thought that was just that team's secondary color because the Bengals' is black.

I thought the same thing watching the game last night. It wasn't until the Bengals' 3rd or 4th possession that I noticed that the line under the score was meant to designate which team had possession and not like an extra stripe of the team's secondary color. 

If it had been the Bengals against the Bears or Titans up there, a team that doesn't use yellow, I probably would've picked up on it faster. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Some minor tweaks I would also make.  

1.  Add an arrow to the yellow box to help show possession.  

2.  Remove the play clock until it actually matters, say under 10 seconds.  That way you can add it in and not have two running clocks always showing.

VZVZr4r.png

Highly doubt it means anything, but I've now noticed two instances of the Falcons being shown with red helmets.

The first was an Instagram post by the NFL official account, but after trying to find it it seems it was deleted. The other was in Madden 18 when you first start up the game it talks about all the features and while talking about MUT it showed the Falcons in the throwback uniform with red helmet.

Unless the NFL knows something we don't, is it possible their teasing a possible change for the team?

9 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Highly doubt it means anything, but I've now noticed two instances of the Falcons being shown with red helmets.

The first was an Instagram post by the NFL official account, but after trying to find it it seems it was deleted. The other was in Madden 18 when you first start up the game it talks about all the features and while talking about MUT it showed the Falcons in the throwback uniform with red helmet.

Unless the NFL knows something we don't, is it possible their teasing a possible change for the team?

I sure as heck hope so...

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I think the Madden MUT clip is just showing off uniform mix-and-match, or an actual throwback uniform.  I mean, that's a mode where literally any historical player can theoretically play on any customized team, wearing logos from one team and designating any stadium as the home stadium.  

Wish the Instagram post wasn't deleted...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 8/27/2017 at 0:39 AM, mafiaman said:

Just add a teal or orange facemask on top of that.  Just about perfect.

12 hours ago, lahaye7 said:

yep, if they went back to this, no gray facemask. 

An aqua facemask on the throwback look would be fine.  Orange would be nasty... an even worse choice than white. 

The gray works since the uniform is referencing a uniform from the past.

Once again (because I love this old argument) here are my "rules" for when a gray facemask is appropriate;

A.  If the uniform is a recreation of a look from pre-1975.

B. If the uniform is a new design, but has the feel of a uniform from the 60's.

C. If the team is attempting to create a hard-nosed, no nonsense look.

D. If the uniform is for a football team.

10 hours ago, projectjohn said:

I'm mostly stoked they've finally stopped the continuous news/score bottom line scrolls during live events. It got phased out over the last year, I believe, but previous to that it was running non-stop on all live events for several years, including on the RSNs. I found it really distracting - figuring in this day and age everyone has a smartphone or tablet with them when they're watching the game, meaning there's no need to have a score/news scroll.

CBS and FOX both used the scoring "bottomline" scrolls during every NFL regular season game last year. ESPN still uses it for every sport except MNF, NBA games (thank God) and the college football playoffs. I completely agree with you, everyone can access scores and fantasy stats on their smartphones/tablets so it seems unnecessary for the networks to even use these continuous scrolls. The only thing I'm okay with is a tiny box for the scores of other NFL games and that's it, the less clutter the better. Remember when FOX used to have this up until about 2010 or so:

5501907_the-evolution-of-the-nfl-on-fox- 

Edit: I also miss this FOX scoring bug, used from 2006-2009 I believe:

NFLonFOXscore0607.png

The prevalence of smart phones, tablets, etc mean showing other scores isn't as necessary as it once was. In fact, it's come to annoy me when I was trying to 'avoid' seeing the scores of one game while watching another. The out-of-town scoreboard basically killed that ability.

6 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

TnEiVjK.jpg

i like it less, if im honest. one, the space of the original lends to legibility, especially from a greater distance than your couch— take a few steps away from your computer and imagine watching that game at a bar. i think the wide bug with a good amount of space is more legible. 

secondly, the logos actually feel even more distracting because of the introduction of even more color and shape. and not every logo is going to fit into this space so nicely as the Broncos does. Even if you were to really fill the boxes with the logos (50% bigger than here) you'll have the same problem. the Cowboys' star and Vikings logos would just be a mess

if i were to make any change to the original, i would eliminate the yellow possession bar because im associating that with a penalty, and a bright warm color doesn't do anything to help the scorebug be less distracting. i think a football icon next to the team name might be the way to go there. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived