NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Considering the Jets are for this weekend’s game, it seems pretty obvious that teams can change facemasks for any game, not just the Color Rush games.

If that's the case, I hope the Vikings do a whiteout at some point. I really want to see this style back in action with the current set:

ffc02b64da8111dff69e391b77f87e0e.jpg

The Vikings pulled off the white facemask look perfectly. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I like it when facemasks "stand out" on a uniform. It's why I defend gray facemasks for some teams.

10 hours ago, 406Cane said:

I think the Jets' white facemasks look better than the Rams'. 

Any chance we'll ever see a return to the 90s Jets look? It's definitely associated with awfulness, but I thought it was a little bit unique. 

There has always been a clamoring among our fans for 80's throwbacks every year, but never for the 90's updates to those jersey. I've always preferred the 90's look. The black helped the uniform pop better on TV. Just a tighter, more refined look

6 hours ago, TSHARE18 said:

Detroit has had three changes as of late, not sure of the years off the top of my head. Jaguars: The 2009 change was awful. The latest change would have been a huge improvement over that if it weren’t for the helmets. 

You're right. After some research, Lions changed in 2003, 2009, and now 2017/18. Lions seemed more subtle, as for the Jaguars seemed pretty easy to notice the changes.

20 hours ago, 406Cane said:

I think the Jets' white facemasks look better than the Rams'. 

Any chance we'll ever see a return to the 90s Jets look? It's definitely associated with awfulness, but I thought it was a little bit unique. 

I'd be the happiest guy in the world if they brought back either the 78 look or 90 look. Both those sets and that logo are my favorite. But the more I think about it if they took the current uniforms, changed back to the lighter shade of green, changed the helmet back to green with the white facemasks but add two stripes and change the logo back to the 78-97, you would have the ultimate look for the Jets. I saw a mockup of it months ago and instantly fell in love with it. Then they could bring back the 78 green jerseys as an alternate.

3459961.jpg

images.jpg

0a6957d555fa4d1beeb841b743ec46dd--nfl-jets-jets-football.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

Because of the 1 helmet rule, we’ll never really see what a modern version of the 80s jersey could look like. 

Personally I never cared for the 80s and 90s era jersey and logo. I think what the Jets have now is good enough. Just fix the shoulders and damn green already. The people who run the Jets social media sites know this because they make the green pop out more in the photos. 

XM4KeeA.png

6 hours ago, insert name said:

Rams identity crisis in full motion. 

DLEZkASWsAAu-Oh.jpg

I can forgive this only because they've done as much as possible to return to blue and white. The NFL won't let them change jerseys because of their 5-year identity rule. It probably would have made more sense to just retain the St. Louis colors until 2020, but I guess they wanted to drop gold as much as possible.

19 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

The Lions new uniforms would look infinitely better if they would ditch the blue pants and wear black shoes.

And add white to the trim. The blue and silver only doesn't work well imo. 

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

On 9/29/2017 at 9:05 PM, SFGiants58 said:

If that's the case, I hope the Vikings do a whiteout at some point. I really want to see this style back in action with the current set:

ffc02b64da8111dff69e391b77f87e0e.jpg

The Vikings pulled off the white facemask look perfectly. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I like it when facemasks "stand out" on a uniform. It's why I defend gray facemasks for some teams.

Our current all-white sucks. 

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

On 9/28/2017 at 4:32 PM, aawagner011 said:

The one thing that I think is salvageable from the current set is the number font. I actually like it. It would be a nice blend of modern and traditional if they minimized the design but kept the font. I like the teal numbers on the white, but the teal jerseys need white numbers.

Also, while the execution on the current set absolutely sucks, the color balance is pretty good. I like the emphasis that all colors are there.

nike-jacksonville-jaguar-uniforms.jpg

Much better than the prior set set which appeared exclusively teal, white, and black. Gold was virtually erased aside from the helmet logo.

54caabc189506.image.png

The helmet is non-negotiable and has gotta go. The worst in all of football, professional or collegiate. I'd either go all matte black or that black with teal flakes they used to have.

cropped_USPW_596164.jpg?ts=1466446113

This might be a minority statement, but I think the Jags look good from the neck down currently, save for a few tweaks (white numbers on the teal jerseys, maybe put the Jags shield logo as a sticker on the back of the helmet, add some teal to the white jersey).  The Jaguars could look good, but only if the helmet goes. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Thoughts

- the Rams look so bad. That's not even a high school look because a high school wouldn't wear something that mismatched. I will never understand why the NFL wouldn't let them change uniforms early or wear the throwbacks full time, but this mess was acceptable. The leagues options for how to handle the Rams uniforms were: Make them wear the StL unis until 2019, allow them to fully rebrand early, or force them to keep the jerseys the same, but allow them to make helmet and pant changes. The league picked the worst possible option. 

- The Jets just up and changed facemasks in the middle of the season and I don't hate the actual look, but maybe that's because they're wearing Ohio University helmets. What I do hate is the potential problems this could introduce. My questions: are teams allowed to change facemask color whenever they want and might this open a Pandora's box of mix and match facemasks? I sincerely hope not. Follow up question: the league has been so careful about protecting their brand and not allowing alternate helmets, but altering a significant part of the design with no thought process as to how it'll look week to week or how it'll affect the brand is kosher? What the hell?

- the Browns look better when they wear brown socks, but nothing will save that garbage heap of a uniform. Their numbers were often difficult to read. You know, since we're allowed to change facemask colors whenever we want now they should go back to using white. 

- The Falcons need to get those throwemback (hi dennis) unis a pair of historically correct silver pants instead of wearing throwback pants from the red helmet unis that they can't wear due to the one helmet rule. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Thoughts

- The Jets just up and changed facemasks in the middle of the season and I don't hate the actual look, but maybe that's because they're wearing Ohio University helmets. What I do hate is the potential problems this could introduce. My questions: are teams allowed to change facemask color whenever they want and might this open a Pandora's box of mix and match facemasks? I sincerely hope not. Follow up question: the league has been so careful about protecting their brand and not allowing alternate helmets, but altering a significant part of the design with no thought process as to how it'll look week to week or how it'll affect the brand is kosher? What the hell?

Facemasks have been swapped out before to work better with alt/throwback helmets. Green Bay and Chicago both, at least, have swapped in a grey mask at times.

I believe the NFL would require the entire team to wear the same color facemask (I'm not sure if that was your actual comment with mix and match facemasks), so no concerns there.  Decals have also been allowed for a quick swap (Rams horn color, color rush chrome logos for the Jets), so it probably is as limited as 'you can't eff with the shell'.

It's where I sit.

37 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Facemasks have been swapped out before to work better with alt/throwback helmets. Green Bay and Chicago both, at least, have swapped in a grey mask at times.

I believe the NFL would require the entire team to wear the same color facemask (I'm not sure if that was your actual comment with mix and match facemasks), so no concerns there.  Decals have also been allowed for a quick swap (Rams horn color, color rush chrome logos for the Jets), so it probably is as limited as 'you can't eff with the shell'.

My concern is that this is to my knowledge the first time a team has taken their regular helmet and altered it, mid-season, outside of the context of wearing a throwback or a color-rush game. The Jets wore their regular uniform and decided to use white facemasks instead of green because of reasons I'm not aware of. I'm worried it will start a new (bad) trend of teams goofing around with their facemasks and possibly their striping/logos just for poops and laughs.

My mix and match comment had nothing to do with players on one team wearing different color facemasks in the same game, though that would be terrible. I meant that it would not be great if the lesser brand-IQ teams started switching up their helmet details game to game. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived