NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually disappointed that they're removing the black... I thought they used it perfectly in the current set. The minimal amount was just enough to make the blue and silver POP. I think it'll be a little too bright with just the Honolulu Blue and Silver...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

7 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

New Lions uniforms coming in April. Confirmed no black. 

Addendum to Detroit Lions Statement --

* -- except in 1948 when we wore black and red uniforms during the regular season.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think the Lions used black fairly well in the most recent set.  However, the logo with the black outline removed looks really good.  The helmet mockup without the black outline also looks really good.

One question about the new logo -- Is it me, or is the logo outlined in blue instead of silver on the Lions statement?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I didn't hate the Black, just the overall use of the colors in the logos and uniforms is what didn't work for me.  Hopefully with this rebrand, they'll have a very clean, crisp, 2-color look.  If I were guessing, since they're going to have all new uniforms, they'll likely be wearing the Vapor Untouchable template.

I am interested in what Colorwerx said about more surprises to come.  Anxious, actually.  I hate that we have to wait until April 13th to see the uniform unveil!

7 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

All of the new Nike uniforms have bad custom numbers (Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami, Seattle, Minnesota). I'm assuming Detroit will follow that trend and have a new font. I just hope it doesn't match the new wordmark.

The new wordmark looks like it could be a hint that a Vikings-like font is in order. 

So happy that they are finally dropping the black, if for no other reason is that it's the last element of the Millen era of failure. I can take or leave the new wordmark, but the previous one finally grew on me once they put it on the blue background in the endzones this year

AR-160919670.jpg&MaxW=1400&MaxH=1400

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

It was neat at the beginning when they tried new things and experimented with adding black. They never made any catastrophic changes. Now looking at the newest logo, I think they got it just right this time. Quite frankly, it feels like the best logo they've ever had.

Even though I think black is gone from the logos and uniforms, I still think it's part of their scheme because they have black merch with the new logo, which would be the right move.

14 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

The new wordmark looks like it could be a hint that a Vikings-like font is in order. 

I was thinking the same thing.  The old wordmark had a few visual connections with the jersey number font...

Untitled_zpsudqxey9s.png

You can see it mostly in the bite/clawmark/notch in the upper corner.  If it's gone from the wordmark you'd expect it to be gone from the numbers also.

As to the hint you're getting of the small curved point on the Vikings' number font, I agree.  Here's a comparison...

Untitled2_zpsnib2jupx.png

Count me in as someone who is very glad to see the black gone.  Unnecessary IMO.

Damn!  I love to be a member of this board when an NFL team announces an upcoming change.  RAMP UP THE UNFOUNDED SPECULATION!!!  YEEEHAW!

It's possible the Lions make it work without black, but I feel like their current identity is nearly perfect. Just enough black to embolden their colors, but not cluttering the uniform. New wordmark seems like a clear downgrade to me.

But if the uniforms are largely the same with the exception of black, they will likely fair just as well in my eyes. Their logo update was fantastic, might be slightly better without black.

9 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I was thinking the same thing.  The old wordmark had a few visual connections with the jersey number font...

Untitled_zpsudqxey9s.png

You can see it mostly in the bite/clawmark/notch in the upper corner.  If it's gone from the wordmark you'd expect it to be gone from the numbers also.

As to the hint you're getting of the small curved point on the Vikings' number font, I agree.  Here's a comparison...

Count me in as someone who is very glad to see the black gone.  Unnecessary IMO.

Damn!  I love to be a member of this board when an NFL team announces an upcoming change.  RAMP UP THE UNFOUNDED SPECULATION!!!  YEEEHAW!

Im seeing it as well. Here's hoping they go the Vikings route in uniforms as well!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

30 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That' would be a great number font for NASCAR.  I'm getting passed just looking at it.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived