NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They at least waited until Nike could figure out how to match the colors, unlike the Jets. I prefer the metallic RBK-era jerseys, but I'm not going to complain about what essentially zero changes, just copy-paste onto a new template. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Padding isn't affected whatsoever during a mask change.. All hardware is accessed from the outside of the the shell, while the padding is obviously located inside the shell.. You can even cut change a mask while the helmet is still on the player's head (although it would be slightly less convenient)

Good to hear hardware has improved dramatically. Schutt has been using the same 30 year old mask designs on their air xp helmets and I figured that the base hardware has not changed since 90% of the helmets still use that basic attachment method. Plastic fastener, screw, washer, t-nut combo always had issues with a clean removal and attachment like you describe and more often than not equipment managers would have to dig their hands behind the padding to hold the t nuts and washers in place which ultimately resulted in having to reset half the liner.

21 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Good to hear hardware has improved dramatically. Schutt has been using the same 30 year old mask designs on their air xp helmets and I figured that the base hardware has not changed since 90% of the helmets still use that basic attachment method. Plastic fastener, screw, washer, t-nut combo always had issues with a clean removal and attachment like you describe and more often than not equipment managers would have to dig their hands behind the padding to hold the t nuts and washers in place which ultimately resulted in having to reset half the liner.

As a head equipment manager at a D2 school, I can tell you that the basic hardware has remained largely unchanged.. They have, however, gotten better at placing the hardware in more accessible locations.. 

The more advanced hardware options are even better.. Schutt offers a forehead-mounted quarter-turn thing that eliminates the need for the two forehead attachment clips, and they offer spring-loaded screws for the side-mounted clips that require a simple press-and-turn to release.. Riddell offers "quick release" hardware that has a sort of button that must be depressed to release a locking mechanism and allow it to detach.. It's pretty cool.

The top picture shows both of Schutt's innovations, and the bottom picture shows the Riddell quick release hardware (along with two normal screws and t-nuts)

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They at least waited until Nike could figure out how to match the colors, unlike the Jets. I prefer the metallic RBK-era jerseys, but I'm not going to complain about what essentially zero changes, just copy-paste onto a new template. 

"SPACE AGE FABRICS!

But we can't match green. Or even make it in some cases. Uniforming is hard, you guys."

Yeah, I get why the Packers are sticking with the tried and true materials and cuts.

23 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

would hope so, but it also makes sense they gave season ticket members a powder blue jersey. where they're at now, they want the powder blue to be used sparingly and for special occasions. the rarity creates a lust for it. its not like any fans can't go buy one, but when you have a special color/jersey it makes sense thats what you give to your season ticket members

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

If nothing else, I'm just glad the league/Nike/whoever got rid of the "NFL Equipment" patch at the base of the collar. Having no patch would be the best case scenario, but the shield is at least better than it was before.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

14 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

If you go back far enough, the sleeves were actually a different color entirely, and the stripes didn't awkwardly cut off.

jan-1999-otis-smith-of-the-new-york-jets

Doesn't look so much like a different green but a different, shinier material used. 

The current mess is green, brown, sweat and all around awful. 

29 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

If you go back far enough, the sleeves were actually a different color entirely, and the stripes didn't awkwardly cut off.

jan-1999-otis-smith-of-the-new-york-jets

Those are so nice. The NFL used to look good. Sigh 

The cutoff shoulder stripes happened when the Jets switched to Reebok in 2000. 1998's jerseys were made by Starter and 1999's were Nike. Also the shade of green did change slightly in 2002. In either 2004 or 2005 the jersey was changed where the back underarm color of the sleeves did not match the rest of the sleeve. 

130328120716-2001-vinny-testaverde-kevin-mawae-001260412-single-image-cut.jpg

1683372.jpg

BUCCANEERS_JETS__bw_t640.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

Uni Watch reported this today, but it would appear like Nike's new template will indeed see greater use. No clue if that means all teams will update to it, or if it's up to the teams. Here's a link to the Cowboys team shop which so far shows replica jerseys for the home and thanksgiving throwbacks which are now on the Vapor Untouchable model.

http://shop.dallascowboys.com/Cowboys-Catalog/Mens/Jerseys/Limited-Jerseys/c/mensjerseyslimited

Thank goodness. The toilet seats look bad on teams like the Rams and Broncos, but at least they kind of fit the striping style. They were an absolute eyesore for the Saints. I wish they went with white collars instead of black, and I wish they went with thinner collars (like the Bills did), but this is still a huge upgrade. 

6 minutes ago, insert name said:

More evidence of the switch to the Vapor Untouchable template full-time. That's a huge upgrade for the Saints, although the ideal scenario for them would be to make their Color Rush uniforms the primary road uniforms, while also adding a matching home set.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived