NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

Considering the stripe is blue-silver-blue-silver-blue, the white in the logo should be replaced by silver (keep the outline in this case.)

The better solution would be to add white stripes inside the blue.  Then the blue logo outline at least makes sense in context, even if it is inconsistent with their primary logo.  The reality is that it doesn't serve any purpose and is as unnecessary as a third nipple.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

If a blue lion isn't sufficiently distinct on a silver helmet, a blue lion with the same color blue outline won't be any better.   And if anything, adding a second outline muddies the logo, obscuring the shape and making it less distinct. 

It's really bad design if the logo needs an extra element in order for it to be used for its main purpose.  If it really needs the blue outline, give it a blue outline for all applications.  That they didn't speaks volumes. 

I think you're reading too much into this. Their helmet logo has been outlined since 1971. Personally I think it looks a little better that way, but it could just be because that's what I'm used to seeing. In any event, it's nothing new.

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I think you're reading too much into this. Their helmet logo has been outlined since 1971. Personally I think it looks a little better that way, but it could just be because that's what I'm used to seeing. In any event, it's nothing new.

In the "used to seeing it" department, I'd prefer a double white outline instead of using blue, since their old helmet logo always had a thicker white outline than it appeared in any other application, at least to my eyes.

Image result for lions game used helmet

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I don't want to speak for Gothamite here, but I think when he says the outline isn't needed, he's speaking specifically about the second blue outline, not all the outlines. It's the blue outline that's causing the helmet logo to not match up with the primary logo, and it's the bordered white space that's causing the dissidence with the stripe patterns. Dropping the blue outline, but leaving the white, would stop the inconsistent comparison to the stripes, as would changing the logo's outside outline to the new dark gray on both the helmet and the primary logo.   

2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I don't want to speak for Gothamite here, but I think when he says the outline isn't needed, he's speaking specifically about the second blue outline, not all the outlines. It's the blue outline that's causing the helmet logo to not match up with the primary logo, and it's the bordered white space that's causing the dissidence with the stripe patterns. Dropping the blue outline, but leaving the white, would stop the inconsistent comparison to the stripes, as would changing the logo's outside outline to the new dark gray on both the helmet and the primary logo.   

Go right ahead - you did it perfectly. ;) 

That's exactly what I meant.  The white outline is one thing, the extra blue "helmet only" outline quite another. 

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Go right ahead - you did it perfectly. ;) 

That's exactly what I meant.  The white outline is one thing, the extra blue "helmet only" outline quite another. 

Gotcha. In that case I would prefer just a white outline. I think dark grey is too close to silver.

11 hours ago, BrianLion said:

If you look at the logo on the helmet there is a silver outline on it, it just blends in with the helmet. 

I see it now that you've pointed it out, but I was referring to the much thicker blue outer outline. It seems in all online media, that outermost outline is silver, while on the helmets, it's blue. I think both look fine, I'm just curious why there are two variations to begin with.

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

A white outline would be great.   That's what worked for so long.  There was never before a need to add a blue outline outside of the white, don't see why they had to do it now. 

473.gif

Unless you are referring to something else, seems the Lions have been using an outer blue outline since at least 1970. It was only the 09-16 logo that lacked it. So if anything else, I'm glad it's been restored, it should have been that way to begin with (black just never worked well on the Lions).

EDIT: I see what you mean now. The helmets actually did lack the blue outline until around 2003 or so.

28 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, this would basically work. I'm more in favor of replacing the silver outline with blue for all purposes, personally, but either is fine. I just would prefer consistency. I've never really liked it when teams have multiple variations of their logos for various purposes, it usually just muddles the identity. It can work in some instances, but more often than not, a strong identity will be displayed everywhere the same way.

I could see the new logo working without that extra outline. Especially if the "official" primary has the silver outer outline, the idea could be it would still be on the helmet, but blend in with everything else.

Granted, I'm biased. I actually have always liked the Lions logo so I think it already looks good in most applications. What they have now is fine, but maybe we'll see some minor refinements in the future.

With the schedule release complete, I want to make some predictions for teams I follow regarding their jersey choices:

Cowboys:  Looks like they will not wear blue for any of their road games. I'm guessing, though, they will wear blue at home vs the Chargers on Thanksgiving and their #ColorRush whites the next week vs the Redskins.

Texans:  Mono-white at home vs Jacksonville in their season opener. History suggests they will go mono-blue for one of their November home dates and #BattleRed for one of their December home dates. But I won't be surprised if they break out at least one of these combos for one of their October games when they have 3 in a row at NRG Stadium.

Rams:  Will they do the blue-and-gold throwbacks again for two of their home dates, along with gold horns on the helmets? Will they wear white or blue jerseys in London?

Dolphins:  I won't be surprised if they wear aqua at home more than white this season, given their prime-time games, their London game, their aqua throwbacks, and their tendency in recent seasons to wear aqua for daytime games in Miami Gardens.

Titans:  WAH for their two September Nashville games, with the opener being mono-white. Since they play the Steelers in Pittsburgh on a Thursday night, they may do a white for the #ColorRush as the Steelers have black for theirs. I'm also predicting they go Columbia over White for two early season road games in Florida (at Jacksonville, at Miami).

16 minutes ago, JTrainGBR83 said:

This isn't quite on topic but I didn't know where else to post it. Anyone notice all the official Draft caps have hugely oversized logos on the top of the bill, except the Raiders? ?

u14kXW6.png

https://www.lids.com/nfl-draft-caps

This was mentioned before (and in years past, IIRC)...the Raiders have strict rules about altering the logo on apparel. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 minutes ago, JTrainGBR83 said:

Didn't catch that. Interesting. Thanks

I had the same inquiry a few years ago on a different hat, as I thought it was weird...and was told about the Raiders' rules, which I didn't really believe (lol) because it seemed odd to give just one team that kind of power.  But those rules seem to apply to something every year.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived