NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

2 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I'm pretty sure the Seahawks aren't updating either, there color rush didn't have the new template.

Unless it is another error their logo slick for 2017 shows the vapor template for all their uniforms this year including their color rush.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, canzman said:

Carolina still using the old "Reebok" template still and not the vapor. Not the fly wire but also not the new vapor either.

As are Green Bay and Atlanta, which makes sense because Green Bay is pretty conservative with uni changes and Atlanta's uni was tailored for Reebok's template.

14 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

IMG_8618.JPG

Looking at these jerseys in tandem makes me long for the days when the Steelers had block numerals. So clean, so intimidating.

24 minutes ago, Chico said:

It's an improvement but still not great the cut off shoulder stripes still look terrible.

That has less to do with Nike and more to do with today's sleeves, which are more or less shoulder caps.

NSFCvyu.png

3 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

As are Green Bay and Atlanta, which makes sense because Green Bay is pretty conservative with uni changes and Atlanta's uni was tailored for Reebok's template.

Correct on Green Bay but Atlanta's 2017 Logo Slick shows the Vapor Template for all uniforms.

It has everything to do with Nike. All they have to do is cut the 3 stripe down to two stripes one green one white or take the existing 3 stripes and change the pattern from white green white to green white green and you have a major improvement. Pardon my poor illustration but here's and idea of what I'm talking about. 

C-X0VHTW0AEoowj.thumb.jpg.c9bebbe01f5c68247d042c1effbd7345.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

26 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

Looking at these jerseys in tandem makes me long for the days when the Steelers had block numerals. So clean, so intimidating.

That has less to do with Nike and more to do with today's sleeves, which are more or less shoulder caps.

Whenever I see older pictures of Steelers players, they look so much better with the block numbers.

Does anyone know why they changed?

Just now, Bob5151 said:

Whenever I see older pictures of Steelers players, they look so much better with the block numbers.

Does anyone know why they changed?

They changed the number font to match the font of the logo. I agree they look so much better with block numbers.

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

31 minutes ago, canzman said:

Correct on Green Bay but Atlanta's 2017 Logo Slick shows the Vapor Template for all uniforms.

I heard that Green Bay was on board going to switch to Vapor Template this season, but players like Clay Matthews III was against that move.  I don't understand why.  Their Vapor Template will NOT be that much different than their current look.  Packers need to stop live in the past and start being on board with today's technology.  Time to scrap the "Reebok" look.

But as long as Matthews still wears the green and gold, it doesn't look like they will be switching to VT anytime soon.

14 minutes ago, Chico said:

They changed the number font to match the font of the logo. I agree they look so much better with block numbers.

That, and the numerals on the helmets; The helmet numbers have been stylized since this current version was first worn in 1963. They finally decided to match the helmet and jersey numbers in 1997 after Nike became the team's uniform manufacturer.

11 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

I heard that Green Bay was on board going to switch to Vapor Template this season, but players like Clay Matthews III was against that move.  I don't understand why.  Their Vapor Template will NOT be that much different than their current look.  Packers need to stop live in the past and start being on board with today's technology.  Time to scrap the "Reebok" look.

But as long as Matthews still wears the green and gold, it doesn't look like they will be switching to VT anytime soon.

Does Matthews have majority ownership in the Packers? Why are his opinions weighted heavier than the Packers brass? No one player should have such a large effect on uniform changes.

NSFCvyu.png

Just now, JWhiz96 said:

That, and the numerals on the helmets; The helmet numbers have been stylized since this current version was first worn in 1963. They finally decided to match the helmet and jersey numbers in 1997 after Nike became the team's uniform manufacturer.

Does Matthews have majority ownership in the Packers? Why are his opinions weighted heavier than the Packers brass? No one player should have such a large effect on uniform changes.

Because they wear the unis out on the field, and yes their opinions do weigh significantly because they play for the team.  Matthews likes his jerseys stretched and that is why the Reebok template fit perfectly for him.  If they go to the VT,  that will not be the case, and its not just him as well.  Packers feel they have a unique advantage (although I don't believe that) by wearing the old mesh jerseys, they feel they won't have that much advantage if they go to VT.   The shareholders or for that matter customers that buy Packers jerseys would rather move on with the times and go right to VT.  It will still be the SAME jersey.  Gold, white, gold collars.  Gold, white gold stripes on their sleeves.  Only difference (albeit a slight one) is they will a diamond shape collar with the NFL logo, which will be difficult to see unless you squint your eyes and look hard enough on T.V.  Too bad the players like Matthews feel "superstitious" and don't want to change with the times.  Like I said in a couple of years the Packers will likely be the ONLY team (college, NFL, high school) to ever wear the old Reebok mesh style uniforms.  That's a pity.

2 hours ago, canzman said:

There were a few errors on some 2017 slicks.

The Eagles was corrected as I stated before but currently there are still some that are not correct.

The Bills are missing the "away" sock from the slick
The Hex code for the Chargers Powder Blue and the Color Rush Blue are listed the same which is obviously incorrect
The Cowboys are incorrectly showing the defunct white throwback helmet with the current uniforms

The Fleur de lis on the left leg of the Saints white, black and color rush pants is misplaced.

These are just a the ones that jumped out at me. There might have been a few other errors.

I know this is always said but man I wish i had that kind of access haha

11 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

Because they wear the unis out on the field, and yes their opinions do weigh significantly because they play for the team.  Matthews likes his jerseys stretched and that is why the Reebok template fit perfectly for him.  If they go to the VT,  that will not be the case, and its not just him as well.  Packers feel they have a unique advantage (although I don't believe that) by wearing the old mesh jerseys, they feel they won't have that much advantage if they go to VT.   The shareholders or for that matter customers that buy Packers jerseys would rather move on with the times and go right to VT.  It will still be the SAME jersey.  Gold, white, gold collars.  Gold, white gold stripes on their sleeves.  Only difference (albeit a slight one) is they will a diamond shape collar with the NFL logo, which will be difficult to see unless you squint your eyes and look hard enough on T.V.  Too bad the players like Matthews feel "superstitious" and don't want to change with the times.  Like I said in a couple of years the Packers will likely be the ONLY team (college, NFL, high school) to ever wear the old Reebok mesh style uniforms.  That's a pity.

Really?  Can I see some data to back up that claim?  Or the one that Matthews is steering the jersey template?  This fan would prefer that Ripon still make our jerseys, because they do it well. It isn't a mass-produced 'have it our way not your way' scenario.

It's where I sit.

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Really?  Can I see some data to back up that claim?  Or the one that Matthews is steering the jersey template?  This fan would prefer that Ripon still make our jerseys, because they do it well. It isn't a mass-produced 'have it our way not your way' scenario.

Ripon makes a lot of jerseys for NFL and other pro sports teams.  They do that for I believe at least half of the NFL teams.  And they can easily create, Elite 51 flywire unis, and I do believe they will make a few VT unis for NFL and college teams.  So I don't think they will have little or no difficulty making a VT for the Packers uniforms, probably easier than they do currently with their Reebok mesh jerseys.

17 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

Ripon makes a lot of jerseys for NFL and other pro sports teams.  They do that for I believe at least half of the NFL teams.  And they can easily create, Elite 51 flywire unis, and I do believe they will make a few VT unis for NFL and college teams.  So I don't think they will have little or no difficulty making a VT for the Packers uniforms, probably easier than they do currently with their Reebok mesh jerseys.

Yes they do - I remember reading that the NFL has a rule that all on-field uniforms must be made in the USA.  All fan apparel, including the "authentic game" jerseys can be made overseas.  Having said that, I really like the Packers uniforms, but would love to see them get a modern makeover with the Vapor Untouchable.

1 hour ago, orangefaniniowa said:

So, you didn't answer my request for data.  I'll assume it doesn't exist.

Put another way - I can't imagine that the Packers would ever change their jersey style to a newer template.  I've never heard a single fan in all my years of attending games at Lambeau Field ask for them to change. [that's at least a real comment on the situation at hand].

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, canzman said:

Awesome to hear. Would you be able to show the Atlanta logo slick like @wyopokes2 did yesterday for the other teams changing? I'm excited to see this change.

And I knew Seattle would update. That little bit you could see in the background looked like it had the shorter sleeves when compared to the other Elite 51s we've seen!

Interesting that the Browns wouldn't change to the new template given that reports have said one of the big reasons they want a do-over in 2020 is because they don't like the fit of what they're wearing now. If the biggest problem with the fit now is the inflexible numbers, I guess a template switch wouldn't make a difference. Still, it probably wouldn't hurt and it's something they don't have to wait three more years for.

Archived