NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

54 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Here's why I think the Panthers helmet stripes work:

1.  A traditional helmet stripe would "cut off" the logo.  The logo is designed such that the angle in the back goes pretty far, so even if it doesn't touch the stripe, having a normal stripe creates a visual "container" or "blocker" for the logo.  It's better with nothing behind it.

2.  There's no straight-vertical stripes anywhere else on the uniform.  The pants taper, and the shoulder stripes (when replicated to spec) taper into the pits (I think that's the official spec.)  A traditional helmet stripe would clash with that.

If you want to argue that it should be more like the Ravens or Titans helmet stripe, then I may agree with you.  

I'd just remove the stripes altogether and grow the logo by about 15%. I wouldn't object if they went Michigan panthers style with it. 

3292ea405ef6961d3cfe4f96479e96d3.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'd just remove the stripes altogether and grow the logo by about 15%. I wouldn't object if they went Michigan panthers style with it. 

Found this:

dacde752e976a2925ada1b07cb9220d7.jpg

I would just remove the stripes because it just looks cluttered and awkward with the logo. The logo is already the perfect size.

58 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Still one of the best helmets ever.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

7 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

It's amazing how many tweaks they are from being a good jersey. Removing the white panels and the 3D shadowing on the numbers would be great.

That would be a start, but making the sleeves the same color as the rest of the jersey is needed, also.  And I HATE how they put orange stripes on a black surface on parts of all three of the jerseys.  Come to think of it, shouldn't this needed collection of tweaks be considered a redesign?  I think I hate everything about their jerseys, and being a long-time Bengals fan, it's painful to see.

28 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I personally wanna see them go with the orange jersey as primary. But yeah, a rebrand is still probably the best option.

Totally agree on both counts. I'd like to see the Bengals rebrand around last year's Color Rush - make an orange jersey and a black jersey in the same style. Block numbers with a single (non-drop-shadow) outline, jerseys with no side panels of any color or shape, orange home primary, black alternate, all-black Color Rush. This would be their first time using orange as their home primary but they'd still wear black jerseys three times a year. Black pants would be relegated to Color Rush, with the team wearing white pants the other 15 games. Tiger stripes remain on jerseys and pants (in similar style to how they were on 2016 Color Rush), and helmet is completely unchanged.

13 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Name them.

I'm not arguing with you -- that just sounded like a definitive number. 

I'm afraid of taking us really far afield, so I'm not going to put together a definitive list.  However, that list would definitely include this and the Rams, circa 1960 (fat, yellow/gold horns).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

13 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I'm afraid of taking us really far afield, so I'm not going to put together a definitive list.  However, that list would definitely include this and the Rams, circa 1960 (fat, yellow/gold horns).

Yeah, I know what I would have gotten.

The reason I went there is that it sounded so definitive. There are few people I would ask for such a list, and I HATE top-5/bottom-5 threads, but seeing a number like 4 and not 5 or 10 or 3, it seemed like there might have been specific helmets in mind.  Carry on :-)

It's where I sit.

5 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Yeah, I know what I would have gotten.

The reason I went there is that it sounded so definitive. There are few people I would ask for such a list, and I HATE top-5/bottom-5 threads, but seeing a number like 4 and not 5 or 10 or 3, it seemed like there might have been specific helmets in mind.  Carry on :-)

I just said "one of the best."  I didn't put a number on it . . . if for no other reasons than I've never made a list.

9 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

That would be a start, but making the sleeves the same color as the rest of the jersey is needed, also.  And I HATE how they put orange stripes on a black surface on parts of all three of the jerseys.  Come to think of it, shouldn't this needed collection of tweaks be considered a redesign?  I think I hate everything about their jerseys, and being a long-time Bengals fan, it's painful to see.

What you said and it's what I've said since 2004. The orange and white jerseys have black sleeves with orange tiger stripes. The black jerseys have orange sleeves with black stripes, but a big orange stripe above that. That's not how tigers work!

The contrasting color sleeves aren't a bad idea, but they're poorly executed. At this point, though I'm worried about what Nike would do with the Bengals. It's known which is bad versus unknown which could very well be much much worse. 

8 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Totally agree on both counts. I'd like to see the Bengals rebrand around last year's Color Rush - make an orange jersey and a black jersey in the same style. Block numbers with a single (non-drop-shadow) outline, jerseys with no side panels of any color or shape, orange home primary, black alternate, all-black Color Rush. This would be their first time using orange as their home primary but they'd still wear black jerseys three times a year. Black pants would be relegated to Color Rush, with the team wearing white pants the other 15 games. Tiger stripes remain on jerseys and pants (in similar style to how they were on 2016 Color Rush), and helmet is completely unchanged.

I'm with you here. I thought their color rush uniforms were just fantastic. The only problem being that they were forced to wear the orange lid on top of an orangeless uniform. I saw that game from the 50 yard of the upper deck and being able to actually read the numbers for the first time since 2003 was a joy. 

IMG_7680.JPG

Tweaks I'd make to this to use full time: orange sleeves with black stripes. Orange outline on the numbers, orange pants stripe with black stripes, orange socks. They can have a pair of black pants to use now and again, but most of the time they should be in white pants. Orange alternate with orange sleeves and black stripes. NO WHITE SIDE PANELS ANYWHERE. The only thing I'd do differently than you would be to use orange as the color rush color and use the orange jerseys for other alternate games. I'd go black primary jersey because we've always had a black primary and I like that visual consistency throughout the franchise's history. Even if the uniform has changed through the years they've still always had the same basic color structure. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

39 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I just said "one of the best."  I didn't put a number on it . . . if for no other reasons than I've never made a list.

Yep - sorry - that was in reference to oldschoolvikings

It's where I sit.

18 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Works for me. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

What you said and it's what I've said since 2004. The orange and white jerseys have black sleeves with orange tiger stripes. The black jerseys have orange sleeves with black stripes, but a big orange stripe above that. That's not how tigers work!

The contrasting color sleeves aren't a bad idea, but they're poorly executed. At this point, though I'm worried about what Nike would do with the Bengals. It's known which is bad versus unknown which could very well be much much worse. 

I'm with you here. I thought their color rush uniforms were just fantastic. The only problem being that they were forced to wear the orange lid on top of an orangeless uniform. I saw that game from the 50 yard of the upper deck and being able to actually read the numbers for the first time since 2003 was a joy. 

IMG_7680.JPG

Tweaks I'd make to this to use full time: orange sleeves with black stripes. Orange outline on the numbers, orange pants stripe with black stripes, orange socks. They can have a pair of black pants to use now and again, but most of the time they should be in white pants. Orange alternate with orange sleeves and black stripes. NO WHITE SIDE PANELS ANYWHERE. The only thing I'd do differently than you would be to use orange as the color rush color and use the orange jerseys for other alternate games. I'd go black primary jersey because we've always had a black primary and I like that visual consistency throughout the franchise's history. Even if the uniform has changed through the years they've still always had the same basic color structure. 

See, I actually liked the "albino tiger" look of their Color Rush unis. I'd want a few touches of orange tastefully placed, but in a minimalist way. The home could be orange and the road primarily white and black...yes, that's a big contrast, but the Giants have a similar setup and I think it works fantastically for them. 

As for why the home primaries should IMO be orange, it's because (as you said) tigers are orange with black stripes. Change the sleeve caps accordingly - just make them striped but otherwise the same as the orange jersey. These sleeve caps would still be orange with black stripes on the black jersey, but white with black stripes and maybe just a tiny touch of orange on the white jersey (like how their current orange pant stripes have just a touch of white).

One aspect about the Bengals current uniforms that I've always enjoyed is the white side panels... they remind me of the white underbelly of a tiger:

Jumping-tiger-wallpaper.jpg

giovani-bernard-nfl-green-bay-packers-ci

9062370-nfl-afc-wild-card-pittsburgh-ste

Really, outside of the numbers, I'm very happy with the Bengals' current uniforms.

The big B logo on their current uniform is pretty dopey and unnecessary.  Frankly, it doesn't get enough flack.  Staring at it now, gosh I hate that thing.  And then the nike collar too?  Oh god make it stop.  The little piddly ass tiger stripes on the sleeves... awful. I'm starting to convince myself that the Jaguars have amazing Packersesque uniforms compared to these.

The helmet looks good tho.

90758391980.gif

Archived