NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

I never noticed it until I sat down to actually try and sketch it. In my sketches I always assumed it was symmetrical, but then it always looked off. It wasn't until I blew it up, and then verified by looking at an actual helmet up close that I confirmed the damn thing was completely uneven.  

The damn logo has an underbite!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My initial reaction to that pic of the Bears logo was "omg, why is it uneven?!", especially when it's blown up like that. The difference is subtle the farther you move the logo away from you, but I think it actually makes it look better than if it's even. 

Someone posted this on Reddit and talked about why it's uneven:

8027136983_67866daeb5_o.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/CHIBears/comments/4x2obl/whats_wrong_with_the_bears_logo_nothing/

I can't agree with mr graphic designer on Reddit there. The revised logo is better because that's how I perceived it my entire life until a few years ago when uniwatch pointed out the flaws. Now it's fundamentally flawed every time I look at it. The right is how it's supposed to look (like the Reds) and the left is a product of poor graphics reproduction tools that kept pushing forward a bad trace of a wishbone c until it became official. It's not designed like that to be "optically" pleasing as this guy claims. 

his argument is that the "metrically" designed logo wouldn't look good on a helmet but provides no reason for this. It's the same logo, same shape, just with the flaws corrected. It'd look better on a helmet. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Bears C is just a poor execution of cutting out the ellipse.  The moved the middle point too far up.  

Both shapes are perfect ellipses with a rectangle cut out.  The left side is vertically aligned, the right is moved up.

WzHvcqm.png

I love this new template. It's the perfect modern template, and I don't think Nike should change it. They will, but I hope they don't. The only change I'd like them to figure out is how to print on the flywire triangle. It does look a little odd on some jerseys that have a collar stripe or print abruptly stop at that triangle. Most teams handle it well though.

Except the Patriots white jersey. That triangle should be blue instead of white right? The collar is blue with a grey stripe. In order for the illusion of a complete collar it should match the collar not the jersey.

10 hours ago, Lee Noire said:

I love this new template. It's the perfect modern template, and I don't think Nike should change it. They will, but I hope they don't. The only change I'd like them to figure out is how to print on the flywire triangle. It does look a little odd on some jerseys that have a collar stripe or print abruptly stop at that triangle. Most teams handle it well though.

Except the Patriots white jersey. That triangle should be blue instead of white right? The collar is blue with a grey stripe. In order for the illusion of a complete collar it should match the collar not the jersey.

Why would they want the illusion of a complete collar?  That wouldn't bring attention to Nike's template. 

So what about the Elite Vapor Untouchable jerseys? Will it be available this Summer to replace the jerseys with firewire neck area? Am very curious how the Broncos jersey is designed with the vapor untouchable template.  

30 minutes ago, Huntr said:

So what about the Elite Vapor Untouchable jerseys? Will it be available this Summer to replace the jerseys with firewire neck area? Am very curious how the Broncos jersey is designed with the vapor untouchable template.  

The new Limited Vapor Untouchable jerseys should give a pretty good indication of how they'll look on the Elite version, as well as on the field.

IMG_4002.thumb.PNG.894d5a50c82587af40570d46dc346223.PNGIMG_4001.thumb.PNG.595d6da94b342bb11ee344d766141a7f.PNGIMG_4003.thumb.PNG.1ed77a90cdd907d19422e7327b1dda65.PNG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

23 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

NFL Shop is now promoting the new jerseys for sale. Most teams appear to have some kind of new gear up.

http://m.nflshop.com/Jerseys/so/newest_items

IMG_8954.PNG

Anyone else see that they're selling the Patriots red throwbacks on the new template? What's the story with that?

http://m.nflshop.com/Jerseys/Mens_New_England_Patriots_Tom_Brady_Nike_Red_Vapor_Untouchable_Limited_Player_Jersey

16 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Why would they want the illusion of a complete collar?  That wouldn't bring attention to Nike's template. 

Other teams have done it pretty well. The Patriots jersey is the only one I've seen that appears to have the color wrong. The collar is blue so that part should be blue. Simple.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Anyone else see that they're selling the Patriots red throwbacks on the new template? What's the story with that?

http://m.nflshop.com/Jerseys/Mens_New_England_Patriots_Tom_Brady_Nike_Red_Vapor_Untouchable_Limited_Player_Jersey

Money. That's the only reason. As long as that one helmet rule is in effect, it will never be on the field and I hate that.

bSLCtu2.png

On 5/5/2017 at 10:20 AM, McCarthy said:

I can't agree with mr graphic designer on Reddit there. The revised logo is better because that's how I perceived it my entire life until a few years ago when uniwatch pointed out the flaws. Now it's fundamentally flawed every time I look at it. The right is how it's supposed to look (like the Reds) and the left is a product of poor graphics reproduction tools that kept pushing forward a bad trace of a wishbone c until it became official. It's not designed like that to be "optically" pleasing as this guy claims. 

his argument is that the "metrically" designed logo wouldn't look good on a helmet but provides no reason for this. It's the same logo, same shape, just with the flaws corrected. It'd look better on a helmet. 

that is likely. the bad curves along the C (particularly along the upper left) suggest to me it could have been massaged from an originally centered opening to where it is now— it looks "pushed" into that position. weather that was done on accident or on purpose though i have no idea, but i also think it's possible the C was altered by the Bears on purpose to be this way.  i can see why, giving the bottom more weight (due to the higher opening) makes it appear more "stable". and given the choice, i like where it's at now better (but i'd fix the bad lines in it)

i did some quick image searches of the old helmets just to see if i could confirm the construction of the 60's helmet logo and i couldn't really make a confirmation one way or the other by the eye test. the mothership though has the Bears 1962 logo with the same cut as the modern day logo. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

15 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i did some quick image searches of the old helmets just to see if i could confirm the construction of the 60's helmet logo and i couldn't really make a confirmation one way or the other by the eye test. the mothership though has the Bears 1962 logo with the same cut as the modern day logo

That could have come from the NFL's slicks, which have been pretty bad. 

I love the mothership, but there are plenty of inaccurate historical logos, some of which came from the teams and leagues themselves.

true story, Goth.

to expand on the balance of the wishbone C, and why i think it could have purposefully been constructed this way is it follows the forms of many fonts/typefaces. just to pull Helvetica as an example, you can see how the B and C are both made to feel more balanced or stable. doing something geometrically perfect would make it appear as though they might fall over. and you know the designer sweated the details, they were Swiss :)

591363c063fde_ScreenShot2017-05-10at2_58_14PM.png.ecd058f396b257f9e60d93ab3a5fe7a5.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

that is likely. the bad curves along the C (particularly along the upper left) suggest to me it could have been massaged from an originally centered opening to where it is now— it looks "pushed" into that position. weather that was done on accident or on purpose though i have no idea, but i also think it's possible the C was altered by the Bears on purpose to be this way.  i can see why, giving the bottom more weight (due to the higher opening) makes it appear more "stable". and given the choice, i like where it's at now better (but i'd fix the bad lines in it)

i did some quick image searches of the old helmets just to see if i could confirm the construction of the 60's helmet logo and i couldn't really make a confirmation one way or the other by the eye test. the mothership though has the Bears 1962 logo with the same cut as the modern day logo. 

62 and 63 both look like they have the "underbite"

Makes me think it has something to do with what you said about seeming more stable. It's far less noticeable on a helmet than just a flat picture. The side effect is that it's just a little different from what otherwise was a long-standing almost stock look.

62 Bears.jpg

63 Bears.jpg

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

true story, Goth.

to expand on the balance of the wishbone C, and why i think it could have purposefully been constructed this way is it follows the forms of many fonts/typefaces. just to pull Helvetica as an example, you can see how the B and C are both made to feel more balanced or stable. doing something geometrically perfect would make it appear as though they might fall over. and you know the designer sweated the details, they were Swiss :)

591363c063fde_ScreenShot2017-05-10at2_58_14PM.png.ecd058f396b257f9e60d93ab3a5fe7a5.png

Same reason that Doric columns taper at the summit so they don't look top-heavy.

But I don't know if the Bears' imbalance is deliberate. CreamSoda 's post seems just as likely.

Good look at the new collar on the Texans' navy jerseys:

IMG_4021.thumb.JPG.5b4c6e1a93988bcaf19a3206c7677055.JPG

The collar on the Vapor Untouchable template is still fairly thick, but it's so much better than the Elite 51. Massive upgrade for the Texans and any other team with contrasting collars.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Bears helmet is one of the best no matter what the C is or isn't...along with the chiefs mainly because they haven't gone to that shiny glittery BS! The patriots could wear those for any color rush they have this year. They went all navy last year maybe they go all red this year...against my Texans...as they beat my boys down 

Archived