NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Doesn't look right to me. It would look way better with the three stripes, heck even put them on the socks too. As it stands now they look off and seem incomplete.

I think these could be improved with gold stripes outside of the red stripes, providing stripe uniformity ala Florida. The home set could follow suit with a G/R/W/R/G striping pattern. 

I get that this might seem like a radical departure from the "traditional" Niners look for some. But, they've tried other looks in the past and this tweak would be closest to them getting it right, IMO.

This is obviously speculation...but the Falcons held off on wearing their throwbacks for many years with the NFL one helmet rule (time before this past year was 2012 I believe?). They finally updated their templates this year to the new Nike construction.

Given that they updated the normal red and white sets, what are the odds they will re-evaluate the throwbacks and update the pants?

For reference, this is what the 1966 throwbacks first looked like when they debuted. I want to say this was back in 2008:

132680064_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=7

Very nice. Very nice, indeed. Should be the starting point for a rebrand. Alas, with the one helmet rule, this is what we got last year when they revived them:

tempHero_Composite--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.j

Also extremely nice. Both could be inspiration for a new look (though I give the slight edge to the 1966 look with the red lid).

The problem with this look is it was a mishmash of 1966 from the shirt down and the 1990s from the waist up (both eras shared the same jersey design).

If Atlanta can't have the red helmet, they might as well revive the true classic 1990s look with the right pants and socks. I don't think pants alterations are restricted under NFL guidelines from year to year.

Falcons-throwbacks-f.png

Either pants design would work. This change would not require them to change their jerseys from a manufacturing perspective. Honestly surprised it didn't happen last year when they brought them back but I'm wondering if they'll consider it now that they revamped their jerseys this year.

deion_g_sanders_260.jpg

4 hours ago, jerrylawless3 said:

That looks so incredibly good. It even matches the pant stripe.

I agree.

The third stripe on the 49ers uniform has been an issue for me going all the way back to the 09 uniform change. They never really found way to make it mesh with newer uniform templates. I like the consistency that the uniform has with the pants, sleeve and helmet stripe all being a red-white-red pattern.

It's so much better then this crap

colin-kaepernick-blaine-gabbert-nfl-atlanta-falcons-san-francisco-49ers-4.jpg

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Yep, that's definitely a surprise.

DG_wgeiXYAE8nc5.jpg:large

I wish the Bucs would roll out an orange jersey to wear over white pants. Something similar to what the QBs wear in practice...

357170807002_Bucs_Training_Camp-1000x600

If they made a more modernized version of the creamsicle throwback unis and paired it with the pewter helmets, I bet it would look pretty good as an alternate look.

1 hour ago, Tracy Jordan said:

I wish the Bucs would roll out an orange jersey to wear over white pants. Something similar to what the QBs wear in practice...

357170807002_Bucs_Training_Camp-1000x600

If they made a more modernized version of the creamsicle throwback unis and paired it with the pewter helmets, I bet it would look pretty good as an alternate look.

Tampa are probably the only team that have better looking practice jerseys. :D

4 hours ago, Jack Holmes said:

Tampa are probably the only team that have better looking practice jerseys. :D

You know, I'm a die hard fan and have been more than willing to give this, um overhaul a chance, but after hard knocks ep 1, I have to agree. It didn't help Gruden was on the show and kept having super bowl flashbacks showing the old ones either. The only upgrade (imo) is the shade of red and orange. I think the pewter yokes would be better reduced to maybe sleeve caps and I echo the orange alternate comments too. I just keep thinking how long the bills had their previous set though...

KISSwall09.jpg

12 hours ago, jerrylawless3 said:

That looks so incredibly good. It even matches the pant stripe.

I actually really don't like it. I'd even say I prefer cut-off stripes to two stripes, especially since we know they are perfectly capable of having three stripes on the sleeves because the Bears can do it. Three stripes on the sleeves has become an iconic look for the Niners and it kinda sucks to see them go away from it just because.

12 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Yep, that's definitely a surprise.

DG_wgeiXYAE8nc5.jpg:large

Anything that limits the "pewter" to the helmet is a vast improvement.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

1 hour ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

I'm really surprised by how much I dislike such a minor change. This just looks wrong. It needs 3 stripes. 

Can I ask why?

Is it because they've always worn them? The 49ers's third stripe has been an inconsistent mess going back to the 96 uniform change.

I'll take the two stripes that are consistent with the rest of the stripes on the uniform then some truncated stripes that were an utter failure at what the team tried to accomplish.

13 hours ago, hormone said:

So we're the bucs new white pants a surprise? Did they just alter the stripes (red replacing pewter)? Are they going to be one of those teams with two sets of whites?

I thought something looked different but couldn't figure it out.

16 hours ago, kingevz said:

New 49ers stripes in action.

AE87A0EC-369C-4995-9593-F1FAFDDA016E.jpeg

It looks better since the previous attempt at three stripes was so horrendous. But I also don't see why they couldn't have adjusted the three stripes to not look as bad as they did. They did a good thing, but it was the wrong good thing, I guess. 

Archived