NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

On 8/24/2017 at 4:04 PM, WSU151 said:

A mythical horse as fast as lightning easily combines both.  Kent State does the same with eagles.

23 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Knights' horses were called chargers so that's the reason for the equine in the logo. From Wikipedia: "While highly prized by knights and men-at-arms, the destrier was not very common. Most knights and mounted men-at-arms rode other war horses, such as coursers and rounceys. These three types of horse were often referred to generically as chargers."

Then the Chargers either have branding inconsistency or have moved on from the horse. The fans I've seen refer to them by electricity or lightning and the franchise seems to have gone that route ("Go Bolts!", electric sideline wallpaper).

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Sorry for splitting Ice Cap's post, but I just noticed this.

The program cover looks like it was designed for a game against the Oilers.  Take a close look at the crest on the opponent's tent.

The image continues on the back cover. 

81MXwTTyQEL._SL1294_.jpg

23 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

This horse looks ready for some weird fetish party. 

cEbrZko.jpg

16 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Then the Chargers either have branding inconsistency or have moved on from the horse.

Kind of, but not really. The original version(s) of the horse shield were used until 1974, when the team switched from powder blue to royal blue. The horse imagery was toned down with the re-brand, but not abandoned. The team continued to use an update of the horse shield logo as a secondary mark until 1987, when royal blue was replaced by navy. There was no horse shield logo in use from 1987-1997. That's when they introduced a second update of the design, and used in a secondary capacity until 2001. 

The last redesigned horse shield logo was dropped in 2001, but the original was brought back in the mid 2000s. That was part of the retro craze that saw the powder blue throwbacks promoted to regular alternate status. So even though there was no horse shield logo as part of their primary identity post-2001? They still utilized the original design with throwback gear. They even continued to use it post-2007, when they dropped the throwbacks in favour of powder blue recolours of the then-new primary look.

Now? It seems the original LA version is being used in at least a semi-official secondary capacity. So I don't think it's entirely accurate to say that the team has moved on from the horse imagery. It's been there in some capacity, more often than not.

The biggest problem with the horse shield is that it can seem redundant in the AFC West. The Broncos use a horse, and the Raiders use a shield. Using a horse in a shield could seem derivative, even though it technically predates the Raiders' use of a shield.

On 8/24/2017 at 5:04 PM, leopard88 said:

I would be more inclined to agree with you if the aqua actually looked that rich in action.  It usually looks more washed out, like this.

ryan-tannehill.jpgsfl-dolphins-could-make-playoffs-next-se

Just ditch this cruddy look and go back to the 72's already!

On 8/26/2017 at 7:14 AM, Gothamite said:

The image continues on the back cover. 

81MXwTTyQEL._SL1294_.jpg

Well, now it makes sense.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 8/26/2017 at 11:39 PM, mafiaman said:

Just add a teal or orange facemask on top of that.  Just about perfect.

yep, if they went back to this, no gray facemask. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

19 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Anybody else liking the new scoring bug for FOX? Only thing missing is team logos.

a bit too much team color makes the bug distracting, especially when you get ugly color palettes like CIN vs WAS. BUT, this is still a really nicely done scorebug. i like it lots

DIRFyzuW4AA1Fi-.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

24 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

a bit too much team color makes the bug distracting, especially when you get ugly color palettes like CIN vs WAS. BUT, this is still a really nicely done scorebug. i like it lots

DIRFyzuW4AA1Fi-.jpg

At first I thought this was a Madden screenshot...which is pretty good praise for them.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

34 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

DIRFyzuW4AA1Fi-.jpg

I'm mostly stoked they've finally stopped the continuous news/score bottom line scrolls during live events. It got phased out over the last year, I believe, but previous to that it was running non-stop on all live events for several years, including on the RSNs. I found it really distracting - figuring in this day and age everyone has a smartphone or tablet with them when they're watching the game, meaning there's no need to have a score/news scroll.

1 hour ago, projectjohn said:

I'm mostly stoked they've finally stopped the continuous news/score bottom line scrolls during live events. It got phased out over the last year, I believe, but previous to that it was running non-stop on all live events for several years, including on the RSNs. I found it really distracting - figuring in this day and age everyone has a smartphone or tablet with them when they're watching the game, meaning there's no need to have a score/news scroll.

ESPN and FOX does it all the time with baseball. It's annoying as hell. 

XM4KeeA.png

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

DIRFyzuW4AA1Fi-.jpg

The one change I'd make here is put the logo of the team in possession next to the down and distance like NBC's Thursday graphics.

YVRMUBj.png

22 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

WAYYYYY too much padding on that Fox score bug.  It's about 50% wider than it needs to be.

I figure it is that way so you see it when other networks are using highlights of a FOX-branded game.

I'm fine without the logos. I wish they had the scores of other games in the sport being covered scrolling on the bottom (NFL only for NFL, MLB only for MLB).  Yes, I have my phone, but you can bring the content I want since I'm already watching this content.

It's where I sit.

Archived