2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

I was not expecting Weber to put up the numbers he has to this point. It's heartening to see a player go to a high-pressure Canadian market and thrive

I'll need to see his Montreal playoff self to fully judge that aspect.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am kind of both surprised and not surprised that pk is not doing too well pekka rinne is not having his best year so I imagine your plus/minus will not look too pretty but I figured subban would help mitigate those problems

Leonsis also spoke about his business challenges — including a mortgage on Verizon Center that costs him an estimated $36 million annually, which he called “the worst building deal in professional sports” — and acknowledged the possibilities, among them a potential move, that will open up once that mortgage is paid off in seven years.

His “free agent” comment aside, Leonsis made it clear he is not actively seeking to leave downtown D.C., an area that has grown up around the franchises into a thriving, inner-city entertainment and shopping district. But neither would Leonsis commit to keeping the teams there.

“In terms of the Verizon Center, I’m being sincere: There’s been no discussions of would we look to move,” he said. “Have we talked to Virginia? We have not. Have we talked to Maryland? We have not. I would never do that. My goal would be stay where we are or stay within the city.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ted-leonsis-looks-toward-the-future-hints-at-possible-move-for-capitals-wizards/2016/11/02/25c11eb8-a118-11e6-8832-23a007c77bb4_story.html

30 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

A move to Maryland doesn't sound too crazy the skins play in landover Maryland if I am not mistaken and still brand themselves as though they were in dc

And the Capital Centre was located on 495, across the highway from where FedEx Field now sits.  The road is named Arena Dr. for a reason, and it's not for the football team.

Ted wants to stay in the city since the Wizards practice facility in the city has broken ground. Ideally, he is angling the city to raze RFK stadium and build the venue on that federally-owned land, especially since the Metro Blue, Orange and Silver lines stop there.

2 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

And the Capital Centre was located on 495, across the highway from where FedEx Field now sits.  The road is named Arena Dr. for a reason, and it's not for the football team.

Ted wants to stay in the city since the Wizards practice facility in the city has broken ground. Ideally, he is angling the city to raze RFK stadium and build the venue on that federally-owned land, especially since the Metro Blue, Orange and Silver lines stop there.

I am aware of that I am just merely saying that in case he is unable to land them a new home in dc or where RFK stadium is located a move to say Virginia or Maryland without the need to rebrand is not exactly far fetched

One goal against in Corey Crawford's last 180 minutes. It's funny-sad how he's still never been totally forgiven for his ass sandwich of a 2012 season, even with two championships and a real case for a Conn Smythe in 2013, to say nothing of keeping a mediocre Hawks team afloat all last year. Maybe he'll finally be in serious Vezina consideration this year, even with the bruise he took from the penalty kill being a Chinese fire drill to start the season.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

One goal against in Corey Crawford's last 180 minutes. It's funny-sad how he's still never been totally forgiven for his ass sandwich of a 2012 season, even with two championships and a real case for a Conn Smythe in 2013, to say nothing of keeping a mediocre Hawks team afloat all last year. Maybe he'll finally be in serious Vezina consideration this year, even with the bruise he took from the penalty kill being a Chinese fire drill to start the season.

IMO Crawford would've won the Vezina in an absolute landslide last year if Holtby didn't go full beast mode on the league for pretty much the whole season. Crawford looked really good at some stages. He's probably a top 5 goalie ATM in the NHL. 

spacer.png

18 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Leonsis pointing out his teams don't have a racist moniker in 5...4...3...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Montoya was weak on many of the first 5 goals.

But there was no good reason to continue leaving Al Montoya out to dry like that.

On that note, it's Michel Therrien's birthday today and that was birthday gift.

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Montoya was weak on many of the first 5 goals.

But there was no good reason to continue leaving Al Montoya out to dry like that.

Having a game tomorrow is a good reason, especially when the goalie that didn't play tonight has recent injury issues.  Montreal, more than anyone, ought to know just how important having Price all season is.

Montoya was basically taking one for the team tonight.

The last time a Habs goalie let in 9 goals in a game was Patrick Roy's last game in a Montreal jersey. Now I know the Good Jet isn't Paddy Wah, but you'd think they'd have learned.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

45 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Having a game tomorrow is a good reason, especially when the goalie that didn't play tonight has recent injury issues.  Montreal, more than anyone, ought to know just how important having Price all season is.

Montoya was basically taking one for the team tonight.

Doing what the coach did doesn't send a good message to that player who had to take it. He should have been spared of the embarassement because those kinds of decisions lead to favoritism and it brings negative energy that doesn't have to be there.

Price is currently healthy and only played half the games so far. Price wasn't burned out or sidelined. I do see both sides because there is a game tomorrow and I understand the level of risk. But I did think about it and I do feel that this time, there was no need for special treatment. Continuing to throw the backups to the wolves would be a horrible habit to develop.

Archived