2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Doing what the coach did doesn't send a good message to that player who had to take it. He should have been spared of the embarassement because those kinds of decisions lead to favoritism and it brings negative energy that doesn't have to be there.

Price is currently healthy and only played half the games so far. Price wasn't burned out or sidelined. I do see both sides because there is a game tomorrow and I understand the level of risk. But I did think about it and I do feel that this time, there was no need for special treatment. Continuing to throw the backups to the wolves would be a horrible habit to develop.

One of the few things coaches don't really care about are one-game (or really, for the season) stats.  If the lone reason for wanting Montoya pulled is because "giving up 10 goals stinks", you're not really seeing the full picture.

Coaches care about not only winning a singular game, but getting through the entire season.  They need to keep Price as healthy as possible so he's playing more games in December, January, February, March, and April, as well as all the playoff games.  The coaches got to roll all four lines last night since the game was decided early on.  Back-up goalies know their role.  They know, for better or worse, they're going to handle half the goaltending duties in back-to-back situations.  The back-up goalies know they'll be handling a lot of the practice duties.

Montreal, more than anyone else, should know just how important it is to have their top goalie healthy for an entire season.  What do they gain in having Price perform mop-up duty when they're down 6-0 and a game the following night?  Game is gone at that point.  You start doing what's best for the long-term at that time.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Coaches care about not only winning a singular game, but getting through the entire season.

Well, the good ones do. John Tortorella, who, ironically, came out on the winning side of this one, once decided nothing was more important than starting a game with a line brawl and then trying to beat up the other coach at intermission. Not what I'd call sober, long-term thinking.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

One of the few things coaches don't really care about are one-game (or really, for the season) stats.  If the lone reason for wanting Montoya pulled is because "giving up 10 goals stinks", you're not really seeing the full picture.

Coaches care about not only winning a singular game, but getting through the entire season.  They need to keep Price as healthy as possible so he's playing more games in December, January, February, March, and April, as well as all the playoff games.  The coaches got to roll all four lines last night since the game was decided early on.  Back-up goalies know their role.  They know, for better or worse, they're going to handle half the goaltending duties in back-to-back situations.  The back-up goalies know they'll be handling a lot of the practice duties.

Montreal, more than anyone else, should know just how important it is to have their top goalie healthy for an entire season.  What do they gain in having Price perform mop-up duty when they're down 6-0 and a game the following night?  Game is gone at that point.  You start doing what's best for the long-term at that time.

It was definitely a questionable call. But I do see the arguments of both sides. As long as there's a good justification, I agree you have to let a team do what they gotta do.

Long things play out fairly, I can let difficult scenarios slide. Hopefully, this doesn't lead to a unnecessary crapfest, down the road.

I enjoyed the r/hockey thread about the 10-0 victory.  I think there were at least 400-some-odd comments that were just "lol."  Oh, reddit.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Mitch Marner.  I wanna buy a player-tee from their site, except I still have to personalize it for more money because he's not yet listed for the item.

Heritage Minister Joly says Sens' Parliament Hill outdoor plans not happening.  Security & chaos.  

I guess Canada Day is easier with its existing lawn & rooftop snipers.

I mean, that's some quality team personality building on display right there.  This Leafs era might let in a slew of goals, at least they should be entertaining.  

If they can deliver this offense for another 4-5 months, they could win (back) over some Blue Jays' & Raptors' vibe.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Ducks win their 24th in a row over Calgary in Anaheim to set the NHL record for consecutive home wins over a single opponent. Flames last win at the Pond was January 2004. (Flyers beat the Penguins 23 straight in Philadelphia from 1980-87.)

I know Southern California and Disneyland and the warmer weather seem like a nice respite from Alberta winters, but Flames fans should probably keep this one off the road trip list still. I mean, God's sake, CLAYTON STONER scored on the Flames.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On 11/5/2016 at 3:13 PM, habsfan1 said:

It was definitely a questionable call. But I do see the arguments of both sides. As long as there's a good justification, I agree you have to let a team do what they gotta do.

Long things play out fairly, I can let difficult scenarios slide. Hopefully, this doesn't lead to a unnecessary crapfest, down the road.

I liken it to a baseball team who gives up 6 or more runs in the first two innings and the starting pitcher didn't bring their best stuff. The manager more often than not is just going to throw the long reliever for as many innings as possible regardless of how many runs he gives up. At that point the score isn't important anymore, what's important is saving the bullpen for games in the short term that are winnable. At a certain point in a blowout, in a long season, you start playing for tomorrow. For Therrien that was probably around the fourth or fifth goal. 

I can only assume that Therrien and Montoya talked at some point after the game got out of hand and he told him that he was going to leave him in because there was no point in playing Carey Price for a lost cause. Montoya was bad (see: Josh Anderson's accidental backhand pass goal), but the Habs' defense was atrocious. The Blue Jackets are better than many of you think they are, but they're not that good. 

Montoya's GAA this season is never going to recover, but he handled it like a pro. A lot of respect for him after that. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I can only assume that Therrien and Montoya talked at some point after the game got out of hand and he told him that he was going to leave him in because there was no point in playing Carey Price for a lost cause. Montoya was bad (see: Josh Anderson's accidental backhand pass goal), but the Habs' defense was atrocious. The Blue Jackets are better than many of you think they are, but they're not that good.

Yeah. Therrien admitted it wasn't to spite Montoya or to give Price special treatment. Carey skipped optional practise the day of the game, saving him for the game of tomorrow, likely to give him some extra off time to make sure he doesn't risk poking that part of his leg, which will lead to another one of those injuries. They were being precautious. In essence, the Canadiens were simply screwed.

Al Montoya should not hang his head low because off games are part of what players have to deal with. I support him and hope he moves foward from this.

For anyone of the 90s and with access to Fox Sports West, Gary Thorne is doing play-by-play for the Kings in Toronto tonight. (One of several games Bob Miller can't travel to this season.)

It's already a 5-0 game in third with shots 34-15 (Kings found goals all of a sudden) and you'll have to hear Jim Fox pipe up too, but anyone with fond Gary Thorne memories can tune in to this game and others on this Kings road trip.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On 11/8/2016 at 6:43 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

For anyone of the 90s and with access to Fox Sports West, Gary Thorne is doing play-by-play for the Kings in Toronto tonight. (One of several games Bob Miller can't travel to this season.)

It's already a 5-0 game in third with shots 34-15 (Kings found goals all of a sudden) and you'll have to hear Jim Fox pipe up too, but anyone with fond Gary Thorne memories can tune in to this game and others on this Kings road trip.

I really wish that NBC would pony up enough cash to sign Thorne as their second PBP guy. Having him when Emrick isn't available would be awesome.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

This is a little late, but a bit of trivia I found hilarious.
Last week, when Columbus hammered Montreal 10-0, they actually scored as many points as the NFL's Browns did the following Sunday. (they lost to Dallas 35-10.)

Archived