2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

Ducks should've won that three or four times over the course of the third period and overtime. Hell, even in the shootout.

But nope. 14-round loser point.

Whatever.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Ducks should've won that three or four times over the course of the third period and overtime. Hell, even in the shootout.

But nope. 14-round loser point.

Whatever.

I'm watching league highlights this morning and cannot believe that the Hickey SO goal stood up after a review. 

This makes me ashamed of at one point living in the same city as the knob who wrote this article.

Anyway, it’d be nice for fans to know just what went wrong with Chara (TV reviews showed no apparent injury), because as soon as he left a few minutes into Period 2, the big, heavy forechecking Blues more or less overwhelmed the B’s defense, scoring three goals in the period.

Would it really? Is there some guy sitting in his house in Mattapan who is unsure on whether to send a "Sorry about your strained quad" or "Please rest your injured wrist" card to Zdeno Chara and he's losing a good nights sleep about it? The problem with being "truthful" is that it usually means a timeframe for injury accompanies it, or "expert" journalists assume a recovery period and then get their underwear in a knot (along with fans) when said player exceeds that timeframe. Who gives a :censored: about reporting accurate injury news to the fans? He's injured/hurt. That's enough information.

Yuck.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

1 hour ago, worcat said:

List of Exempt Players for the Expansion Draft.

Pretty good little read. I'll be interested to see what the Penguins do with their goal-tending situation. 

It should be noted that that's only players with no-movement clauses. Players who are in their first or second years of pro hockey are exempt automatically, without having to protect them. Players with NMC have to actually go on the protected lists. So the Leafs don't have to protect Auston Matthews or Mitch Marner.

4 hours ago, worcat said:

List of Exempt Players for the Expansion Draft.

Pretty good little read. I'll be interested to see what the Penguins do with their goal-tending situation. 

These players may be unavailable to be taken in an expansion draft, but I would bet a couple or more of these players find themselves on the Golden Knights next season.

Saw it with the Thrashers in their roster-building process....a team will leave a certain player exposed, but that team will have a handshake agreement with the expansion team to not take that player.  As a "thank you", they'll send the expansion team some future picks or one of the players they couldn't expose in the draft.  Or, they'll expose a certain player and work out an arrangement where the expansion team will pick the exposed player, then trade him back to the team for picks/prospects/players.

The Golden Knights not only have to build an NHL roster, but I believe they'll also need to build up a couple farm teams.  They'll be in the business of acquiring players, not so much trying to compete as soon as possible.  Having just 30 picks won't accomplish much.  Turning those 30 picks into 10+ additional picks/prospects/players does more for them.

If your team exposes a player and your first thought is "What the hell are they thinking?"....there's likely a pact in place regarding said player.

The Hawks have so many rookies and veterans with no-move clauses that the only players they can expose are, like, Marcus Kruger and Trevor van Riemsdyk. There's a school of thought that Brian Campbell is only back on a one-year deal so that in case he thinks he can play a second year, he can't get plucked by Las Vegas.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

These players may be unavailable to be taken in an expansion draft, but I would bet a couple or more of these players find themselves on the Golden Knights next season.

Saw it with the Thrashers in their roster-building process....a team will leave a certain player exposed, but that team will have a handshake agreement with the expansion team to not take that player.  As a "thank you", they'll send the expansion team some future picks or one of the players they couldn't expose in the draft.  Or, they'll expose a certain player and work out an arrangement where the expansion team will pick the exposed player, then trade him back to the team for picks/prospects/players.

The Golden Knights not only have to build an NHL roster, but I believe they'll also need to build up a couple farm teams.  They'll be in the business of acquiring players, not so much trying to compete as soon as possible.  Having just 30 picks won't accomplish much.  Turning those 30 picks into 10+ additional picks/prospects/players does more for them.

If your team exposes a player and your first thought is "What the hell are they thinking?"....there's likely a pact in place regarding said player.

Yes, the list I posted was only those unavailable. It's happened many times in the draft before where certain players selected are sent back to their original team as a trade. I didn't want to include that info because it wasn't a post about the entire draft process, just a list of exempt from being taken.

I believe they also have to have 60% of the NHL Cap limit of their selected roster? Do they also get the first overall pick automatically in the entry draft?

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

1 hour ago, worcat said:

Yes, the list I posted was only those unavailable. It's happened many times in the draft before where certain players selected are sent back to their original team as a trade. I didn't want to include that info because it wasn't a post about the entire draft process, just a list of exempt from being taken.

I believe they also have to have 60% of the NHL Cap limit of their selected roster? Do they also get the first overall pick automatically in the entry draft?

They'll have the same odds as the third-to-last place team, but I don't think they've said exactly how that's going to work... you can't just poof additional probability out of thin air.

They'll need to come up with new probabilities for all spots since there will be 15 non-playoff teams instead of 14. So the worst team might have an 18% chance of winning the first pick instead of 20% and the second worst team might go from 13.5% to 13% and so on. For 2017, it looks like they'll pretend Vegas finished tied for the third-worst record in the league. So if the new formula calls for the third-worst team to get a 10% chance and the fourth-worst team to get a 9% chance, then both Vegas and let's say the Islanders would each get a 9.5% chance of winning the lottery next year.

We went to the Winnipeg/Nashville game last night.  I think the Jets are now down to 5-6 Thrashers (Thorburn, Byfuglien, Wheeler, Stuart, Enstrom, Postma?).  They certainly looked like the Thrashers last night.  I had a brief conversation with Thorburn during pre-game warmups.

I believe this was my first look at PK Subban in person.  He's a lot better than I thought he was.  He was very Lidstrom-like in his decision-making and playmaking in the defensive zone.  He's also fidgety as hell....dude makes coffee nervous.

14 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

The wild just beat the defending Stanley cup champs AGAIN. Is this real life?

No, it's Bruce Boudreau.

Enjoy the honeymoon.

---

I'm still livid that the Ducks are required to keep Kevin Bieksa around even through this expansion draft. How and why Bob Murray gave this doofus a NMC, I'll never understand. If the Ducks don't manage to buy him out, they'll have to trade someone like Cam Fowler to make room or risk losing someone like Fowler or Josh Manson on defense or even Jakob Silfverberg or Andrew Cogliano up front to Vegas.

Stupid.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

That's a very strange, ill-advised move. I wouldn't call Gallant an upper-echelon coach, but he got the Panthers to play a good game for the last two years, overachieving heavily last year. That they'd regress a little this year is hardly a reflection on him. Maybe he just wasn't Army Strong enough, I dunno.

EDIT: it appears that Tom Rowe is the interim coach while remaining GM, so the Panthers replaced both Dale Tallon and Gerald Gallant with a longtime AHL coach. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived