2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

If I'm the Flames, I do what the Ducks did with Boudreau and scoop up Gallant as soon as possible, if not for an immediate turnaround, at least for seasons to come. Glen Gulutzan is a dunce.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Long Island is another team that could benefit from Gallant, but they're dysfunctional enough in their own right that if they do fire the second-most victorious coach in New York Islanders history, they'll just replace him with Doug Weight (they don't love you like I love you). 

So it sounds like there's been an analytics revolution in the Panthers' front office and they felt Gallant's grit-n-heart approach was at cross-purposes with what they were trying to build, hence Tallon's ouster and this move which insiders are saying the Panthers were going to do as soon as they had an excuse. It's pretty clear they want Tom Rowe to be an Art Howe (the names look alike and everything) who does what the magic computer tells him to do without asking questions, but doing everything by the numbers without synthesizing them with gauzy human-element stuff isn't likely to get the job done in this wacky sport. 

Oh, and Huberdeau, Barkov, and Bjugstad seem to be hurt like all the damn time. I don't think that's an indictment of either approach, just really bad luck.

ASG John Scott rules in effect.  Voting starts Dec 1.  If a player is sent to the minors (if not for health rehab), they are no longer eligible for AS vote ins.

So I guess ppl can still vote for some jabroni, yet an owner can send said jabroni down to the minors for a day & null his ASG eligibility.  

Meh, I never stuffed ballots for such spite before.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

"You have to let us mock you on your own terms" was never a brilliant strategy in the first place. I don't know how anyone can post at this board and think l'affaire tall dopey goon remotely approaches the worst stuff this league has done.

16 hours ago, 2001mark said:

ASG John Scott rules in effect.  Voting starts Dec 1.  If a player is sent to the minors (if not for health rehab), they are no longer eligible for AS vote ins.

So I guess ppl can still vote for some jabroni, yet an owner can send said jabroni down to the minors for a day & null his ASG eligibility.  

Meh, I never stuffed ballots for such spite before.

So instead of the league forcing a trade to try and avoid having a guy play in the festivities, now the league can strong-arm a demotion of said player so he can't go....

Makes sense.

To be fair, we really don't need any more memes to win another contest determined by idiots voting for awhile.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 11/27/2016 at 10:09 PM, the admiral said:

:lol: they put everyone else on the team bus and left him at the Hurricanes' arena waiting out back for a taxi like a schmuck! OITGDNHL!

They couldn't wait 'till they got back to Florida before firing him?

The Blue Jackets have outscored the Capitals, Rangers, Lightning and Canadiens 29-9 this year. 

In the 9 days since Wyshinski published this article about how they're actually bad: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the-columbus-blue-jackets-have-been-awfully-good-171653006.html they've outshot every team they've played and last night they rolled over Tampa for the second time in a week. His numbers are sound, I'm a believer in hockey analytics, but his thesis that they're due for a regression to last year's numbers are based on an outdated perception of the team. Jared Boll, David Clarkson, and Gregory Campbell are not dragging that fourth line anymore. Alex Wennberg has turned into one of the best young centers in the game. Zach Werenski is a phenomenon. The power play is lethal for a reason not entirely based on luck. They're due for a regression in the save and shooting and power play percentage, because they're all ridiculously high, but I think it might be time to consider that maybe they're actually good and that maybe those numbers won't fall that far? They've had winning records in 3 of the previous 4 seasons, maybe last year was an aberration? Not to get all BCS on your asses, but they've also played a crazy hard schedule. I was just hoping they'd get to December within sight of "Bettman 500". I'm tickled with where they are. 

As long as Bobrovsky stays healthy I think the team will be fine and even then they've played well in front of Mcbackup and they have two guys in Cleveland who've proven they're capable of winning games in the NHL. I just know what I see and it's 4 lines that can play, with puck movers on defense, skill up front, a solid breakout that doesn't give teams extra chances, a defense who holds opponents to low percentage/less-dangerous shots, a goalie who's playing well but not killing himself to keep the team in the games, and a relentless forecheck. 

"But TORTS! BLOCKED SHOTS" Torts said something like "corsi. fenwick. I don't know what that means so we just pay attention to our game". But days before that he said "you want to possess the puck and you want to shoot the puck and you want to limit their opportunities inside the slot". You don't have to be a genius to understand that having the puck more and shooting more will translate to scoring more than your opponents. Torts continually talks about shot attempts, and the Jackets in comparison to other teams. He's on board with the concepts even if he doesn't know the names that were just invented like 3 years ago. Oh and they're 19th in blocked shots, BTW. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sounds like the Blues are setting up an AHL expansion team in Kansas City, meaning that Las Vegas will inherit the Chicago Wolves. Good! I hope they sign Brandon Bollig, Ben Smith, and some other Cup-winning Blackhawks that no one much remembers, and then never play their prospects.

5 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

One of my buddies was attempting to have a McDavid vs Austin Matthews 'Who's better?' argument with me the other day, to which I replied:

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Auston 3:16 2 - McHappyMeals 0

:trollface:

NBCSN continuing this half and half broadcasting option with Randy Hahn, one of the best in the business, paired with someone named Jim Fox :P 

I'm starting to think this is something they only do with the California teams cause I've haven't seen this done when an Eastern team goes Surfin' U.S.A.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Archived