2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/how-to-make-the-nhls-winter-classic-relevant-again

... wait, you're telling the NHL already has played an outdoor game this year? Between Edmonton and Winnipeg? They gave an outdoor game to Winnipeg before Dallas or Tampa Bay, huh?

Yes, because Tampa tends to be warm and Winnipeg tends to be cold (though in only-in-Winnipeg fashion the game was delayed due to sunshine). 

In all seriousness, there should never be more than one outdoor game a year and always on New Year's Day. This year's should have been in Toronto, even though Toronto is in Canada. We could have a greater discussion about how the league never figured out a way to get Hockey Night in Canada on the air stateside the way American marquee telecasts manage to flow south-to-north, thereby creating a situation where the Maple Leafs are the centerpiece of the league in one country and no one can find Toronto on a map in the other, but for now let it suffice to say that Red Wings-Maple Leafs should have been enough outdoor action for one year without shoehorning in this Hawks-Blues game on a day that was sort of a holiday but sort of not, with one team everyone hates for playing too often against another team that's only there because it feels like their turn.

I thought hockey writing was bad when it was just obsessing over toughness and fighting. It's much worse when people argue self-evident premises and then stoke debate by being so annoying that you argue with them just to spite them for annoying you so much. It's the Fire Joe Morgan approach and it's run its course.

Want to read more stories like this from VICE Sports?

No thanks

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave Lozo has to be a gimmick. I mean, he just has to. Right?

Vice getting into sports and trying to report on it is like your friend starting a political blog because he took Intro to Political Science during his sophomore year.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Vice got into sports because McIndoe needed somewhere to go after Grantland shut down and these blogger guys/girls are all friends. I don't know what the excuse is for Lozo. "We picked up one of the most beloved hockey writers online. We also got some Powder-lookin' motherf-cker who hates Canada and needs an adult when dudes fight."

I'm all for having an occasional Big Indoor Stadium game (maximum 1 per year) on top of the Winter Classic if it spreads the spotlight around. Give me Lightning-Panthers at the Thunderdome. If the Blue Jackets stay good, have the Red Wings host them at Ford Field. Put the roof on Safeco and have the Canucks and Vegas play as a 60-foot banner reading "HINT, HINT" hangs from the rafters. Give teams outside the NBC Seven some showcases and maybe you'll get people to pay attention to them. I still can't believe we couldn't watch a 14-game win streak take on a 12-game win streak because of a kiddie tourney and poker reruns.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I can't believe that game wasn't on. Isn't the point of the NHL Network to drop in on regional coverage that the rest of the country might want to get in on? I know they tend to show Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights (and to my earlier point, I'm surprised a cable channel never picked it up given how much '80s/early '90s cable TV was Canadian; even some sort of syndication package across UHF stations would have been nice), but not carrying that Jackets game was inexcusable.

World Juniors coverage has taken precedent over National Hockey League coverage on NHL Network for the entire tourney. NHL.tv did make it their Free Game of The Day, which I didn't know existed until someone tweeted it out mid-game. Nor did I know the NHL has a Roku channel, because this league does effective publicity like I do lovemaking.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

World Juniors coverage has taken precedent over National Hockey League coverage on NHL Network for the entire tourney. NHL.tv did make it their Free Game of The Day, which I didn't know existed until someone tweeted it out mid-game. Nor did I know the NHL has a Roku channel, because this league does effective publicity like I do lovemaking.

I love the World Juniors but I agree that it should not interfere with the NHL, especially on the NHL NETWORK!

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I'm all for having an occasional Big Indoor Stadium game (maximum 1 per year) on top of the Winter Classic if it spreads the spotlight around. Give me Lightning-Panthers at the Thunderdome. If the Blue Jackets stay good, have the Red Wings host them at Ford Field. Put the roof on Safeco and have the Canucks and Vegas play as a 60-foot banner reading "HINT, HINT" hangs from the rafters. Give teams outside the NBC Seven some showcases and maybe you'll get people to pay attention to them. I still can't believe we couldn't watch a 14-game win streak take on a 12-game win streak because of a kiddie tourney and poker reruns.

I think we'll see that eventually even if many dates conflict with NFL & March Madness.  Feb dates may be the sole option as NHL would commit to buildings before any NFL team knew if they're playing in Jan or not.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Yes. A team taking a 2-1 lead on the Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Final. What can possibly go wrong?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Mr. Ryan Lambert isn't too familiar with Claude "We're Up by one with two and a half periods to go? SHELL DEFENSE UNTIL WE DIE FELLAS" Julien.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

I can't believe that game wasn't on. Isn't the point of the NHL Network to drop in on regional coverage that the rest of the country might want to get in on? I know they tend to show Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights (and to my earlier point, I'm surprised a cable channel never picked it up given how much '80s/early '90s cable TV was Canadian; even some sort of syndication package across UHF stations would have been nice), but not carrying that Jackets game was inexcusable.

Yahoo streamed the Columbus-Minnesota game for free.

Yahoo usually has about 3-4 games a week you can watch online for free.

THEY'RE ACTUALLY PLANNING FOR A SPECIAL BROADCAST OF A SIGNIFICANT NHL GAME (this guarantees Columbus will lose tonight)

IMG_20170105_164446.jpg

On 12/17/2016 at 6:41 PM, The Six said:

The Ducks traded the wrong goaltender.

Sunday: 51-save shootout win

Wednesday: 23-save shutout win

Sure.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Unless Steve Yzerman comes to his senses, and soon, and fires Jon Cooper, the Lightning aren't coming anywhere near the playoffs this year. Frankly, it boggles my damn mind that he has survived this long, seeing as how this is the second straight season where the Lightning are the biggest underachieving regular season team in the NHL. It's ridiculous. This guy sucks.

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

It looks like the Jackets' streak is about to end.

Credit where it's due for getting this far. I'm glad the Jackets faithful had this to be excited about, coming out of nowhere as it did.

Archived