2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

Looks like having most everyone skip training camp has been great for increasing scoring around the league. Less structure is good. Canada. Canada.

Congrats to Hossa on his 500th goal, by the way. His Hall of Fame odds have to be pretty high at this point. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Looks like having most everyone skip training camp has been great for increasing scoring around the league. Less structure is good. Canada. Canada.

Wayne Gretzky agrees, for whatever it's worth. 

Gotta say, I was impressed with the Blackhawks last night. They blew a 3 goal lead, sure, but Panarin/Kane/Anisimov were on fire the rest of the way. I don't know how good or reliable the Flyers are supposed to be this year, but it was nice to see these young, wonky Blackhawks show some resolve in the face of collapse.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It was a four-goal lead they blew, actually! And the Flyers are a bubble team with some good young talent but also Radko Gudas, which sounds like some sort of Eastern European beet gravy.

There's some promising talent on the Hawks, but also some dead weight that needs to get cleared. Dressing Jordin Tootoo is essentially electing to play with 17 skaters. The Committed Indian cognoscenti are already declaring war on Richard Panik as the guy where they say "you think he's good but I'm here to tell you he's actually not!", as they did with Andrew Shaw, but you know what, if he's gonna stand in front of the net and score goals that wouldn't get scored otherwise, then that's better than nothing, even if he's being played on too high a line -- again, much like Andrew Shaw. If we just had a bona fide first-line wing, SAY FOR INSTANCE BRANDON SAAD, this could be a really good team.

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

It was a four-goal lead they blew, actually! And the Flyers are a bubble team with some good young talent but also Radko Gudas, which sounds like some sort of Eastern European beet gravy.

There's some promising talent on the Hawks, but also some dead weight that needs to get cleared. Dressing Jordin Tootoo is essentially electing to play with 17 skaters. The Committed Indian cognoscenti are already declaring war on Richard Panik as the guy where they say "you think he's good but I'm here to tell you he's actually not!", as they did with Andrew Shaw, but you know what, if he's gonna stand in front of the net and score goals that wouldn't get scored otherwise, then that's better than nothing, even if he's being played on too high a line -- again, much like Andrew Shaw. If we just had a bona fide first-line wing, SAY FOR INSTANCE BRANDON SAAD, this could be a really good team.

I'd rather have Anisimov & Panarin than Saad at this point, but yeah Saad would be perfect for what they're lacking.  First-world hockey problems I suppose.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

7 hours ago, alexandre said:

Carey Price returns tonight. This is obviously very exciting, although Al Montoya has been the best goalie in the NHL, and we're about to face off against our old nemesis- the Québécois backup (in this case, Louis Domingue).

I haven't followed much of Al Montoya's career prior to him being signed to Montreal. Is he really that big of a talent?

As for tonight, it's great that Weber scored his first goal as a Habs with that speeding bullet from the blue line. I saw his highlights video on Youtube; he's like Sheldon Souray but with power levels increased even higher! If the Habs play their cards right, promote him according to his strengths, this could be a good year for our blue, blanc, rouge. :)

He was a hot prospect at one point, but never fully panned out. He was one of the best backups for the last couple of years, and thusfar is top 2 or 3 in almost every goalie stat. He'll certainly come back down to earth but it's a big upgrade over Condon/Scrivens/Tokarski/Budaj that we've been running with for a while!

10 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I haven't followed much of Al Montoya's career prior to him being signed to Montreal. Is he really that big of a talent?

He's a good Jet too.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

He's a good Jet too.

Even now, several years on, that video is still the first thing in my mind whenever I hear about Al Montoya

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

14 hours ago, DaRadniz29 said:

Dear San Jose Sharks,

the NHL plays three twenty minute periods. Yeah some of was pittsburgh, but when you stand around and puck watch you will probably get scored on... and they did.

I was really hoping for a statement win last night and through 40 minutes, I was pretty happy about it. 

Then the puck started bobbling up and down like that dice in a game of Trouble...

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Archived