infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 5

infrared41

Week five was the first...ahem...weak week of the season. One great looking match up, a few solid match ups, and the longest worst list of the season. Let's dispense with the pleasantries and get down to business. It's October. Do your best to ignore the pink. As always, these lists are just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. 

Best:

1. Giants - Packers: I know a lot of people around here aren't crazy about the Giants road uniforms because of the red numbers, stripes, etc. I think it's one of the best road looks in the league.  Two classic looks and an easy choice for the top spot in a mediocre week of uniform match ups. Every NFL game should look this good.

Packers%202.jpg

2. Bills - Rams: This is probably as close as I'm going to get to seeing my beloved blue and white Rams uniforms. The Bills are the definition of "modern classic." 

Bills%201.jpg

3. Washington - Baltimore: For those of you who like the burgundy pants, you're welcome. For those of you who prefer Washington's gold pants, I apologize. A couple weeks back, I made the mistake of saying I didn't miss the burgundy pants at all. So of course Washington brings them back the following week and has been wearing them ever since. Two things on the Ravens - 1. the Ravens team photographer just might be the best in the league. 2. Five weeks in and the Ravens haven't worn...yeah, never mind. I learned my lesson with the burgundy pants. Suffice it to say that the Ravens have looked good every week this season.

Ravens.jpg

4. Bears - Colts: This was a good looking game.  If the Bears has worn all white, this game would have been a contender for best game of the season. I like the Bears white over navy, but there are some match ups where an all white look would be a much better choice. 

Bears.jpg

5. Texans - Vikings: Like the Bears, the Texans in all white would have looked better in this one. Still a pretty good looking game. Great helmet match up.

Vikings.jpg

Worst: 

1. Cardinals - 49ers: Hard to believe that someone thought that all black 49ers uniform was a good idea. Then again, someone thought that Cardinals uniform was a good idea so I guess anything is possible.

49ers.jpg

2. Patriots - Browns: This is a contributory negligence game. The Browns get 80% of the blame in this one. The all brown look is flat out terrible. The Patriots road uniform isn't awful, but it isn't good either. An ugly game all around. Both of these teams need to use their color rush jerseys as a start for a new look.

Browns.jpg

3. Jets - Steelers: Another contributory negligence game. The Steelers get 95% of the blame here. The Jets certainly didn't help matters with the green pants. Thankfully, this is the last season we'll be subjected to the Steelers "bumblebee" look. 

Steelers%201.jpg

4. Falcons - Broncos: You know there was a whole lot of ugly going on when this game is only good for the #4 spot on the worst list.

Falcons.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of the worst games this week have so much potential for being great. For instance, these pictures from 90's of the same matchups. If we had modern updates of these looks and teams were cautious about going monochrome for monochrome sake, uniforms in the NFL would be much more appealing. 

49ers-Cardinals-1993-001.jpg

09000d5d825b5c0e_gallery_600.jpg

81414140.jpg

9 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Tough week. I'll agree. pack v g was tops. If put Skins and Ravens not far behind. 

I'm glad to see the Ravens getting some love.  The helmet logo isn't my favorite, but I think all of their looks with white pants are extremely underrated.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Ignoring the Bengals' 2004-ocity and the color issues with the Cowboys and their pink accesories, I thought the colors in this matchup were really aesthetically pleasing

1476132835-100916_cowboys_027_TS.jpg?q=5

The game itself was not pleasing. Picture chosen for a reason. We got our butts kicked. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Week five was the first...ahem...weak week of the season. One great looking match up, a few solid match ups, and the longest worst list of the season. Let's dispense with the pleasantries and get down to business. It's October. Do your best to ignore the pink. As always, these lists are just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. 

Best:

1. Giants - Packers: I know a lot of people around here aren't crazy about the Giants road uniforms because of the red numbers, stripes, etc. I think it's one of the best road looks in the league.  Two classic looks and an easy choice for the top spot in a mediocre week of uniform match ups. Every NFL game should look this good.

Packers%202.jpg

2. Bills - Rams: This is probably as close as I'm going to get to seeing my beloved blue and white Rams uniforms. The Bills are the definition of "modern classic." 

Bills%201.jpg

3. Washington - Baltimore: For those of you who like the burgundy pants, you're welcome. For those of you who prefer Washington's gold pants, I apologize. A couple weeks back, I made the mistake of saying I didn't miss the burgundy pants at all. So of course Washington brings them back the following week and has been wearing them ever since. Two things on the Ravens - 1. the Ravens team photographer just might be the best in the league. 2. Five weeks in and the Ravens haven't worn...yeah, never mind. I learned my lesson with the burgundy pants. Suffice it to say that the Ravens have looked good every week this season.

Ravens.jpg

4. Bears - Colts: This was a good looking game.  If the Bears has worn all white, this game would have been a contender for best game of the season. I like the Bears white over navy, but there are some match ups where an all white look would be a much better choice. 

Bears.jpg

5. Texans - Vikings: Like the Bears, the Texans in all white would have looked better in this one. Still a pretty good looking game. Great helmet match up.

Vikings.jpg

Worst: 

1. Cardinals - 49ers: Hard to believe that someone thought that all black 49ers uniform was a good idea. Then again, someone thought that Cardinals uniform was a good idea so I guess anything is possible.

49ers.jpg

2. Patriots - Browns: This is a contributory negligence game. The Browns get 80% of the blame in this one. The all brown look is flat out terrible. The Patriots road uniform isn't awful, but it isn't good either. An ugly game all around. Both of these teams need to use their color rush jerseys as a start for a new look.

Browns.jpg

Cards vs 49ers is only slightly worse than Patriots vs Browns and not just because of the scores. Arizona should utilize a red facemask, sleeves with Camelback Mountain on them or something using the Arizona flag in a sublimated fashion, similar to what Cal does with their Golden Bear logo. If San Francisco insists on using black jerseys, use gold numbers with red trim or add a thicker gold outline to the current numbers. And use the pants from their last design as well. 

Cleveland going Or/Br/Br/White would have looked a little better. The biggest issue with Cleveland is the only piece of their uniform that has no stripes is the socks. If a white sock with the same striping of the white jerseys  were used, and the pants stripes allowed to go all the way to the hem rather than being cut off by those giant wordmarks they would look so much better. For New England, get rid of the side stripes and use the pants from their Color Rush uniform these would look a little better. If they used the jerseys as well, they'd probably have to thin up the stripes to add TV numbers, unless the NFL has waived the requirement. The other option is to replace Elvis on the sleeves. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I agree that the Cardinals need to give up the ghost and use a red facemask, but I'd prefer to see them wear something timeless at home. The road uniforms can be more creative.

As good as they look nowadays, I miss red helmets and socks for the Bills. Maybe blue stripes on red socks would look interesting just to get as much of a blue-red balance as possible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I agree that the Cardinals need to give up the ghost and use a red facemask, but I'd prefer to see them wear something timeless at home. The road uniforms can be more creative.

As good as they look nowadays, I miss red helmets and socks for the Bills. Maybe blue stripes on red socks would look interesting just to get as much of a blue-red balance as possible.

I thought the bills should have gone with solid white numbers at home and solid red on the road. Yeah it's kind of Giantsish, but the sleeve stripes would be enough to differentiate. It would have added more red (at least on the road) and reduced some of the unnecessary use of navy. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There shouldn't be any navy, and outlines on the numbers wouldn't hurt (and again, would maintain a balance between blue and red. I do like the sleeve stripes they have now better than the Super Bowl uniforms, and I'd want that striping pattern repeated on the socks as well.

I still think red helmets and pants with blue jerseys and socks would have been interesting, if only for a one-off. I mean, that would make more sense for Color Rash than wearing all red, even if it gets away from the single-color idea (which is a stupid idea in the first place). 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I actually liked the Card's color rush uniform. But the 49er's black uniforms with the red numbers was horrible. You could not read the numbers most of the time. Add the solid black socks and cleats and it was made even worse.

Also, I thought that the concept was "color rush", not "monochromatic nightmare". Is the NFL mandating that the teams wear the same color socks and cleats as the pants and jersey? That is just too much IMO. I know it wouldn't work in every instance, a lot of these games would look better if both teams just wore their standard colored jersey. For instance if the Cowboys played the Broncos, it would look good with the Cowboys wearing their navy blue jerseys/silver pants with the Bronco's wearing their orange jerseys/white pants. Just as long as their is a good contrast of color. Obviously the 49er's and Cards could not have both worn their standard red jersey, but you get the idea.

15 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Bills%201.jpg

Thank-you!  Good to see a bit of traditional minds on here.

You pinned the tail on the donkey.  I cannot believe some of the posts on here with the suggestions the Bills should make to what you refer

to as a 'modern-day classic', which they are.  After the torture years of 2002-2010 those monstrosities are gone and we've now got it right.

At times, the best change to make is 'NO CHANGE'   ....  I love our uniforms, I just wish we'd wear the throwbacks with the grazing Bison

logo twice a year, and only against one of the 9 other AFL clubs.  Wear 'em once at home, and once on the road. It looks silly when they

are worn against non-AFL clubs.

The ONLY thing I'd tweak on Buffalo's uniforms are the socks when wearing the blue pants.  They need to be white socks with the sleeve

striping in the centre.  That is it, nothing else. We've got one of the top 3-5 uniforms in the NFL after being bottom 3 from 2002-2010.

One more thing ... we're a royal blue primary-colored team, so .....  Ditch the mono-red color-rush uniforms.

BTW, I was at the game Sunday at the LA Coliseum and the Rams helmet looked like the same bright yellow throwback they wore in their home opener against the Seahawks.  You could see the difference when comparing the decal color to the Vegas beige on the sleeve logo. Maybe it was the sun glowing on the helmet, but did anyone else notice that??

22 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

BTW, I was at the game Sunday at the LA Coliseum and the Rams helmet looked like the same bright yellow throwback they wore in their home opener against the Seahawks.  You could see the difference when comparing the decal color to the Vegas beige on the sleeve logo. Maybe it was the sun glowing on the helmet, but did anyone else notice that??

I've thought that since the Rams were on Hard Knocks, but people kept telling me I was just seeing things. 

BB52Big.jpg

39 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I've thought that since the Rams were on Hard Knocks, but people kept telling me I was just seeing things. 

Nah, I believe you were definitely onto something, not 'seeing' things.

I sat 44 rows up on the Bills side of the field and the sun was blazing on our side and the helmet decal did not have that Vegas beige look to it.

Then I watched the replay of the game this morning and you can totally see the difference between the color on the helmet decal and ram logo on the sleeve. I think it is quite safe to say that the Rams had the same helmet decal on when playing the Bills that they had on in their home  opener against Seattle when they wore the the throwbacks. 

Also when exiting the Coliseum after the big win by the Bills, I'd have to say that 8 out of every 10 Ram fans were wearing the retro LA Ram jerseys and not the St Louis colors.  Most of the ones wearing the St Louis colors were millennials who looked like they were under 30 years of age. The Rams really made a major marketing error by not immediately switching back to their LA colors, logo, and word-mark for this 2016 season. 2019 is nearly a presidential election away, just way too long IMO.

1 hour ago, ARTnSocal said:

Nah, I believe you were definitely onto something, not 'seeing' things.

I sat 44 rows up on the Bills side of the field and the sun was blazing on our side and the helmet decal did not have that Vegas beige look to it.

Then I watched the replay of the game this morning and you can totally see the difference between the color on the helmet decal and ram logo on the sleeve. I think it is quite safe to say that the Rams had the same helmet decal on when playing the Bills that they had on in their home  opener against Seattle when they wore the the throwbacks. 

Also when exiting the Coliseum after the big win by the Bills, I'd have to say that 8 out of every 10 Ram fans were wearing the retro LA Ram jerseys and not the St Louis colors.  Most of the ones wearing the St Louis colors were millennials who looked like they were under 30 years of age. The Rams really made a major marketing error by not immediately switching back to their LA colors, logo, and word-mark for this 2016 season. 2019 is nearly a presidential election away, just way too long IMO.

it's definitely not athletic gold. They look the same color to me. Just doesn't look metallic anymore.

IMG_3079.PNG

18 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I thought Titans-Dolphins might get a nod on the best list.  Titans finally wore their best possible combo and the Dolphins in all white, while a bit boring, isn't horrible.

sfl-photos-titans-at-dolphins-20161009

I liked that game. Reminded me of when the Oilers wore their home Columbia blue jerseys against the Dolphins all white look they had from 1973-1989. The all white is a nod to the old school Dolphins though. I like it!

17 hours ago, sharplcd said:

A lot of the worst games this week have so much potential for being great. For instance, these pictures from 90's of the same matchups. If we had modern updates of these looks and teams were cautious about going monochrome for monochrome sake, uniforms in the NFL would be much more appealing. 

49ers-Cardinals-1993-001.jpg

09000d5d825b5c0e_gallery_600.jpg

81414140.jpg

Speaking of that,

Image result for Dallas Cowboys and Cincinnati Bengals 1994

Image result for Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Jets 1998

Image result for Los Angeles Rams and Buffalo Bills 1980's

I hope people understand what I am referring to with these three images. I know I do!

21 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I thought Titans-Dolphins might get a nod on the best list.  Titans finally wore their best possible combo and the Dolphins in all white, while a bit boring, isn't horrible.

sfl-photos-titans-at-dolphins-20161009

I was pleasantly surprised to see the light blue tops for the Titans last week. My first reaction was that they have gone under the radar and made them their primary colored jerseys again. Secondly, I considered they were doing like the Panthers as those tops would be more bearable in the south Florida heat than their standard navy blue ones. It was also the first time the Titans won in that combo.

Archived