Dell computer's massive overhaul!

Cujo

• 3 weeks later...

I would guess they were trying to make the E look less like a floppy disk since there hasn't been a floppy disk on a computer since the turn of the Century.

But if that's the case it would have been a good time to come up with something completely different.

I was just at a conference held by RSA (owned by EMC who is now owned by Dell) and on their slides discussing how the Dell takeover impacts their business, both the old and new logo appeared on the same page several times.  I tried pointing this out to a colleague who thought I was joking and couldn't tell the difference (in his defense we were near the back.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...
On November 15, 2016 at 3:58 PM, TRoyConcepts said:

Wasn't the E supposed to model a floppy disk? Now it's just a tilted E. Yuge downgrade.

I believe so, but the symbolism is outdated. The new generation has never used floppy disks (that includes me lol). The whole point of the change seems to be to move forward into the future (following the recent trend, which for the most part I disagree with). To that effect, the update accomplishes what is set out to accomplish.

i think it's a good improvement. it's certainly less clunky and has a more elegant look to it. the thickness of the letters and outer ring are the same, but i think thats the one mistake here. the outer ring should have been slightly thinner so it optically looks the same as the type. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

9 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i think it's a good improvement. it's certainly less clunky and has a more elegant look to it. the thickness of the letters and outer ring are the same, but i think thats the one mistake here. the outer ring should have been slightly thinner so it optically looks the same as the type. 

Is that... wait, actual design critique? I didn't know that was a thing anymore. I thought we are just supposed to declare our hatred for it (or the people who designed it) and move on? ;) 

Agreed, though - slight changes that help modernize it a bit. The old one feels very "90's tech company" when looking at them side by side now; not something I would've thought before the update. Extra bonus: they kept the core concept of their logo and modernized it without using sans-serif lower case type (which is a win now, sadly)!

1 hour ago, drdougfresh said:

Is that... wait, actual design critique? I didn't know that was a thing anymore. I thought we are just supposed to declare our hatred for it (or the people who designed it) and move on? ;) 

Agreed, though - slight changes that help modernize it a bit. The old one feels very "90's tech company" when looking at them side by side now; not something I would've thought before the update. Extra bonus: they kept the core concept of their logo and modernized it without using sans-serif lower case type (which is a win now, sadly)!

exactly - they kept the core idea (the wordmark in a circle is just enough to work) and just made it better. its not a very exciting update, but its certainly an improvement

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived