Under Armour/Fanatics Get the MLB Jersey Contract

Bouj

I am incredibly indifferent on Majestic, since I do not buy jerseys.  However, I am bummed about the fact that Nike would no longer be able to have the ability to produce MLB merchandise, since it's hard to beat one of their golf polos.  Does anyone know if '47 will still make caps?

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GoGamecocks29 said:

I am incredibly indifferent on Majestic, since I do not buy jerseys.  However, I am bummed about the fact that Nike would no longer be able to have the ability to produce MLB merchandise, since it's hard to beat one of their golf polos.  Does anyone know if '47 will still make caps?

That's a fair question assuming new era did not get an exclusive for all headwear you could still see '47, ua instead of nike, and american needle (vintage logos) doing fashion caps.

I never had a problem with Majestic as a whole. I thought they made some pretty nice t-shirts, and the jerseys I own don't feel too bad either. I'm indifferent on Under Armour; I've seen very little of what they've done with baseball so I guess I'll have to see what they do. I'm going to guess that we'll see a lot more polyester apparel though.

On 10/17/2016 at 5:30 PM, mjd77 said:

That did cross my mind.  Starter has Wal-Mart, Champion has Target, and who knows where Majestic could end up if they become totally irrelevant.

Irrelevant, you say?  If that's the case, how about Kmart?

By the way, Microsoft Painted the following:

MLBUA ORANGE.jpg

MLBUA.jpg

22 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I am not convinced that a switch to UA will automatically result in new crazy uniform designs, individual teams still have a lot of control over the final look. That doesn't mean a few teams won't based off UA suggestions, but the sky isn't falling. I think the most notable

for sure design input will come via BP jerseys. 

I won't be sad to see Majestic go. Cool Base and Flex Base have been disasters, and were often ridiculed on this site. I'm looking forward to what UA brings to the table. 

The BP jerseys.  Exactly.  That's where Majestic gets leeway now.  Most teams don't particularly care about BP jerseys, thus the one-template-fits-all design motif.  Plus, if the rumor is true about Majestic phasing out BP jerseys next season, then it will really be an opportunity for UA to make a splash.

21 hours ago, insert name said:

I didn't realize the Cool Base uniforms were that much disliked. While the positioning of the vents are questionable, I liked the cool/flex base uniforms. They were much more comfortable to wear in the summer.

As much as I remember, almost all the COOLBASE/Flex Base criticism is based on the side panels and the new sweat tails.  Those have been derided for sure, especially in regards to pinstripes.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

13 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I never had a problem with Majestic as a whole. I thought they made some pretty nice t-shirts, and the jerseys I own don't feel too bad either. I'm indifferent on Under Armour; I've seen very little of what they've done with baseball so I guess I'll have to see what they do. I'm going to guess that we'll see a lot more polyester apparel though.

UA does offer some performance cotton options, but their performance poly offerings are usually the best quality I've seen.  Nike isn't far behind, but UA knows their stuff.

16 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Can anyone say how the expiration of a deal usually works? When the UA contract goes into effect, will Majestic still be able to sell their old stock or is a massive fire sale on the horizon? 

Usually a fire sale to get rid of inventory.  Watch when the NBA goes to Nike next year.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

UA does offer some performance cotton options, but their performance poly offerings are usually the best quality I've seen.  Nike isn't far behind, but UA knows their stuff.

Performance cotton? The yankees tried cotton uni's in the early 90's and it was a complete disaster.

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Can anyone say how the expiration of a deal usually works? When the UA contract goes into effect, will Majestic still be able to sell their old stock or is a massive fire sale on the horizon? 

Look what happened with Majestic this year. HUGE sale to clear out any remaning coolbase inventory, because of the switch to flexbase.

Might go to Vanity Fair outlet after class, come to think of it. That's where Majestic dumps all their stuff they cant sell.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Reebok NFL jerseys could be found very cheap, replica's for $10 and such when nike took over.

Also I hope they put front numbers (or in the phillies case, sleeve numbers) on their replicas.

Just now, EddieJ1984 said:

Reebok NFL jerseys could be found very cheap, replica's for $10 and such when nike took over.

Also I hope they put front numbers (or in the phillies case, sleeve numbers) on their replicas.

that doesnt bother me as much as sleeve patches on the replicas. Which i hope they add.

5qWs8RS.png

It will be interesting to see how much changes with Under Armour.  Under Armour has historically outsourced some of their production of game uniforms.  Without the MLB license, Majestic is basically a manufacturing asset.  It's a lot cheaper now than it was two weeks ago.  It's not out of the question that Under Armour would pick up Majestic, tweak and rename the fabrics so that they can brand them, and keep manufacturing out of the same plant, perhaps even as a JV with Fanatics.

In addition, MLB exercises a lot of control over the uniforms, not only the aesthetics, but also the functionality.  Uniforms need to wash well and hold up well.  The season is long, and the turnaround is short.  Keep in mind that on road trips, the dirties are packed right away, flown to the next city and washed in the middle of the night.  Grass and clay stains are not the easiest to remove, and the infield dirt is as rough as sandpaper and as hard as concrete, especially around the plate.  Things like printed twill, which Under Armour is using on some college football uniforms, don't work on baseball uniforms because they don't stand up to the grind of a baseball season the way they can stand up to the shorter football season.

MLB's utilitarianism extends to accessories, such as jackets and sweatshirts.  It's not all about retail, though it has to work at retail as well as it works on the field.  Equipment managers and players themselves are a core constituency.  And a lot of testing goes into new uniforms.  The 2017 batting practice tops were rolled out on a test basis during spring training workouts in 2015.  Flex Base got a limited test drive in 2015.  The carbon fiber helmets that all players now use were tested by some players in 2013. 

On 10/19/2016 at 7:33 PM, WSU151 said:

Usually a fire sale to get rid of inventory.  Watch when the NBA goes to Nike next year.

Except most of Adidas apparel is garbage, so I probably won't be in a hurry to stock up on NBA stuff.

15 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Except most of Adidas apparel is garbage, so I probably won't be in a hurry to stock up on NBA stuff.

odd, ive had nothing but love for the majority of adidas apparel i own, and am looking forward to adidas taking over the NHL(and not just under the reebok name).

5qWs8RS.png

15 hours ago, skwid said:

It will be interesting to see how much changes with Under Armour.  Under Armour has historically outsourced some of their production of game uniforms.  Without the MLB license, Majestic is basically a manufacturing asset.  It's a lot cheaper now than it was two weeks ago.  It's not out of the question that Under Armour would pick up Majestic, tweak and rename the fabrics so that they can brand them, and keep manufacturing out of the same plant, perhaps even as a JV with Fanatics.

In addition, MLB exercises a lot of control over the uniforms, not only the aesthetics, but also the functionality.  Uniforms need to wash well and hold up well.  The season is long, and the turnaround is short.  Keep in mind that on road trips, the dirties are packed right away, flown to the next city and washed in the middle of the night.  Grass and clay stains are not the easiest to remove, and the infield dirt is as rough as sandpaper and as hard as concrete, especially around the plate.  Things like printed twill, which Under Armour is using on some college football uniforms, don't work on baseball uniforms because they don't stand up to the grind of a baseball season the way they can stand up to the shorter football season.

MLB's utilitarianism extends to accessories, such as jackets and sweatshirts.  It's not all about retail, though it has to work at retail as well as it works on the field.  Equipment managers and players themselves are a core constituency.  And a lot of testing goes into new uniforms.  The 2017 batting practice tops were rolled out on a test basis during spring training workouts in 2015.  Flex Base got a limited test drive in 2015.  The carbon fiber helmets that all players now use were tested by some players in 2013. 

I hope you are right. I can´t  help think about the people out of work at Majestic.

And MLB  jerseys should be made in the US ! I would think the league would also prefer that, or is money all they care about,  i dunno 

15 hours ago, skwid said:

I've worked with UA baseball uniforms for 4 season now. While the pants don't hold up great, the jerseys have. Actually, their all sublimated jerseys have held up very well. I'm still using the same gold set we bought 2 seasons ago, and they look great.

Archived