Chief Wahoo having passport problems at Toronto airport

ARTnSocal

These teams play one another every year during the regular season and it's never been a major issue, yet now they're meeting in the ALCS and they're making it an issue which I find quite puzzling.

This ongoing saga is never-ending.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/court-hearing-potential-ontario-ban-indians-logo-42856237

Spoiler

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It does seem to be a little bit frivolous to hear it now when it would actually affect a team rather than a time when either the Indians or MLB would not be affected by this.  

Yes it surely does, especially since the Jays entered MLB in 1976 and nobody has heard a peep out of any indigenous Canadiens until now..

Well anyway ...  I guess that's that, Chief Wahoo has been admitted in ..... (6:36 pm - EDT today)

Ontario Supreme Court denies activist's request to ban 'Indians' during ALCS

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/10/17/cleveland-indians-chief-wahoo-mascot-alcs-ontario-superior-court/92317148/

13 hours ago, FGM13 said:

The Native people I know (and there is a fair few in my area) all like the Indians, they cheer for them as their team!

I'm half Native and work on reservations. The vast majority I know take issue with Wahoo, aren't crazy about the name "Indians," and are against the name "Redskins."

Conversely, most are fine with the Blackhawks, since their logo isn't a racially insensitive caricature, and their name isn't regarded as a racial slur.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

9 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm half Native and work on reservations. The vast majority I know take issue with Wahoo, aren't crazy about the name "Indians," and are against the name "Redskins."

Conversely, most are fine with the Blackhawks, since their logo isn't a racially insensitive caricature, and their name isn't regarded as a racial slur.

That seems to be the major consensus. "Blackhawks" pays tribute to an individual, and the logo is more respectful. "Redskins" is an outright slur, with a so-so logo. And then "Indians" seems to be a gray area as far as the name, but the logo is incredibly insensitive.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Derek said:

Not a fan of Wahoo, but trying to take it to court for the ALCS is bush league.

I don't see why it's bush league.  The team is a win away from the world series and this is a great time to get the logo issue some attention.  It's obvious that the court case wasn't going to be successful... That wasn't the point of it.

I don't see why others in this thread have issues with the timing - this is NOT the first time the issue has come up.  It's a perfect time to have the conversation again.  As if the timing takes away from the legitimacy of the issue.  Gimme a break.

You know what's bush league?  Continuing to use a racist caricature as your logo.  

I'm not indigenous, but if a sports team used a caricature of my race or culture, I'd be effing pissed.  Would anyone be ok with a caricature of another minority group as a sports team logo?  How about blacks? Or Jews?

I love sports, and I love sports logos, but Chief Wahoo is an embarrassment of a logo, and Cleveland is an embarrassment of an organization for continuing to use it.

17 minutes ago, gojetsgo said:

I don't see why it's bush league.  The team is a win away from the world series and this is a great time to get the logo issue some attention

You answered your own question. It's bush league because the timing makes it absolutely for attention. Yes the argument is legitimate, I don't think anyone is denying that, but the timing is what screams "look at me and look at me now." It comes off more like a whining child looking for attention than a serious adult looking for debate.

With that said, the squeaky wheel gets the oil so while being bush league, maybe it works?

My whole issue is how Cleveland has been playing the Blue Jays in Toronto for 40+ years, and just now Ontario has issues with it? And in 2016, Ontarians (?) are all of a sudden offended with Chief Wahoo and their team name.  Aren't their bigger, more pressing issues than a sports team's name and logo in Ontario?

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

42 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

You answered your own question. It's bush league because the timing makes it absolutely for attention. Yes the argument is legitimate, I don't think anyone is denying that, but the timing is what screams "look at me and look at me now." It comes off more like a whining child looking for attention than a serious adult looking for debate.

With that said, the squeaky wheel gets the oil so while being bush league, maybe it works?

My questions were rhetorical. This issue has been brought up countless times and it has gone nowhere.  They still continue to use a racist logo.  The people fighting the logo can and should continue to use every effort and platform available until the team finally changes it.  

40 minutes ago, GoGamecocks29 said:

My whole issue is how Cleveland has been playing the Blue Jays in Toronto for 40+ years, and just now Ontario has issues with it? And in 2016, Ontarians (?) are all of a sudden offended with Chief Wahoo and their team name.  Aren't their bigger, more pressing issues than a sports team's name and logo in Ontario?

There are many many people in both Canada and the U.S. that are offended by it.  And I'm not one of those people that thinks that everyone must be insulated from every chance at being offended.  But I'm seriously shocked at how many people are ok with this logo in 2016.

And I hate the "aren't there more important issues" argument.  So because world hunger hasn't been solved, we should ignore every injustice?  It's a simple fix - get rid of the logo.  How hard is that?

1 hour ago, gojetsgo said:

I don't see why it's bush league.  The team is a win away from the world series and this is a great time to get the logo issue some attention.  It's obvious that the court case wasn't going to be successful... That wasn't the point of it.

I don't see why others in this thread have issues with the timing - this is NOT the first time the issue has come up.  It's a perfect time to have the conversation again.  As if the timing takes away from the legitimacy of the issue.  Gimme a break.

You know what's bush league?  Continuing to use a racist caricature as your logo.  

I'm not indigenous, but if a sports team used a caricature of my race or culture, I'd be effing pissed.  Would anyone be ok with a caricature of another minority group as a sports team logo?  How about blacks? Or Jews?

I love sports, and I love sports logos, but Chief Wahoo is an embarrassment of a logo, and Cleveland is an embarrassment of an organization for continuing to use it.

Silver Bullet answered for me, but I'm pretty sure I said I am not a fan of Wahoo.

3 hours ago, GoGamecocks29 said:

It's certainly possible for some people to focus on "bigger, more pressing issues" while at the same time, others focus on this.  I'm fairly certain that this law suit didn't come at the expense of a contract for civil workers or a downtown fire getting put out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm half Native and work on reservations.

Interesting. And here I thought I was the only "half-breed" on these boards.

Anyway... Your location says Tuscon, AZ so I'm guessing you're half what, Tohono O'odham? Apache?  Which reservation do you work on?

BB52Big.jpg

With everything that's been said about Chief Wahoo and the whole argument and despite what I am and am not against, I still come to this conclusion... Why not just go ahead and drop the logo already? They already have a replacement logo and it's not like dropping the Wahoo logo will hurt the organization in any way. Keeping it now is probably more stubbornness than anything else. I'm sure there are issues with changing team names like Indians, Redskins, or whoever... but one logo? One logo that isn't even the primary logo anymore? Just drop it and move on. 

21 hours ago, Derek said:

Not a fan of Wahoo, but trying to take it to court for the ALCS is bush league.

Yeah, trying to make the Indians forfeit the rest of their games due to political incorrectness is like the Toronto-est thing ever. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Interesting. And here I thought I was the only "half-breed" on these boards.

Anyway... Your location says Tuscon, AZ so I'm guessing you're half what, Tohono O'odham? Apache?  Which reservation do you work on?

I actually just moved back to Tucson, from Bemidji, MN. I work for the Tohono O'odham tribe. I'm a complete mutt. My dad is one quarter Navajo, and my mom is half Cherokee and one quarter Lumbee.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived