Chief Wahoo having passport problems at Toronto airport

ARTnSocal

11 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I wanted to get an all navy wahoo hat with the world series patch....they only made the navy block c and the red billed wahoo. Usually teams try to cash out on everything surprised it's not there same with the red block c hat.

I think MLB used the official home and away hats, which for the road is the block C.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I've found it interesting with this subject that people are offended by the Indians logo yet you don't hear similar problems with the Padres logo. They seem very similar in a goofy cartoon style to me, kind of to a throwback era. Not trying to make a judgement and I get that there are many levels of issues regarding Chief Wahoo, just pointing it out that I kind of see more similarities in the logos than differences.

san-diego-padres-swining-friar-logo.gifchief-wahoo-logo-02.jpg

There wasn't a government sponsored genocide of Spanish priests in the United States.

2016 and we are really still having this discussion?

18 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Right but it could be argued it represents Catholics. 

This would be relevant if the Padres logo had some sort of molestation/child imagery in it.

...But since it doesn't, your take is friggin' staggering.

On 10/18/2016 at 1:28 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

You answered your own question. It's bush league because the timing makes it absolutely for attention. Yes the argument is legitimate, I don't think anyone is denying that, but the timing is what screams "look at me and look at me now." It comes off more like a whining child looking for attention than a serious adult looking for debate.

With that said, the squeaky wheel gets the oil so while being bush league, maybe it works?

"I prefer for protests to come in a manner, timing, and venue that allows me to politely ignore them."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In the case of the logo, it's mostly offensive because of the red skin. Otherwise it would work as a face for almost anything. It honestly looks it could be used for a clown face, or on a pumpkin... (No, I'm not being racist, look at the logo as if it wasn't supposed to be a Native American)

I don't think that the offensive nature comes from it being a caricature. It looks really nothing like a person, let alone a stereotypical Native American. I think the Indians at the very least should drop the red skin on the logo. It'll still be a little offensive, but it works to please both parties a little more...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

19 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Right but it could be argued it represents Catholics. Again, not trying to say that makes Wahoo ok. Just wondering why I've never heard Catholics or even priests or friars be offended by the Padres' goofy representation of them.  

Friar is a profession, not a race.

"Catholic" is a faith, not a race.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why is it people find Chief Wahoo offensive but don't find Alfred E Neuman or the Super Mario Bros offensive? I'm Italian and my friends always mimic the Mario Bros when they talk to me "Its-a Me Mario" "Mamma Mia" Lets-a Go-a" in a degrading manner speaking with their hands and using the "bad English".

I tell you people are very selective with racism,  making fun of a certain ethnicity, or what they deem offensive.

The Catch of the Day!

20 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Why is it people find Chief Wahoo offensive but don't find Alfred E Neuman or the Super Mario Bros offensive? I'm Italian and my friends always mimic the Mario Bros when they talk to me "Its-a Me Mario" "Mamma Mia" Lets-a Go-a" in a degrading manner speaking with their hands and using the "bad English".

I tell you people are very selective with racism,  making fun of a certain ethnicity, or what they deem offensive.

We Italians are not an oppressed people in the United States.

We were an oppressed group at one time, back in the late 19th Century and the early 20th Century.  In fact, our arrival en masse to the U.S. helped spur the eugenics movement, the proponents of which held that people from southern European stock were racially inferior to the Anglos and Germans and other northern Europeans who predominated in the American population.

Even as late as the 1930s, Italians were not considered "white", and were still an "other" in the U.S.  When Joe D. came to the Yankees, he was considered exotic.  A Life magazine piece on him read: "Instead of olive oil or smelly bear grease, he keeps his hair slick with water. He never reeks of garlic…."

DiMaggio became a hero not only to Italians, but to other Latins, especially to New York's Puerto Ricans.  However, Joe D.'s rise to stardom signalled a turning point in the sociological history of Italians in the U.S.; from that point on we were considered "white".  And part of that bargain was that we lost all of our empathy for our fellow Latins.  We no longer saw other oppressed groups as our fellows; instead, we, as "white" people, perceived our interests as aligning with society's dominant groups, not with its marginal groups.

We Italians spent the 20th Century trying to become "white".  And we achieved that goal, at the cost of a good portion of our humanity.

So a figure such as Mario, had it existed in the 1890s or the 1910s, might have been an example of racial hatred, and therefore comparable to Chief Wahoo.  But, because it was created in the 1980s, it carries no weight of perpetuating the dehumanisation and the mockery of an oppressed group.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

59 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

This would be relevant if the Padres logo had some sort of molestation/child imagery in it.

...But since it doesn't, your take is friggin' staggering.

Saying a logo portraying molestation is the same as a logo portraying a goofy looking person is completely off base. That, to me, is staggering.

50 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Saying a logo portraying molestation is the same as a logo portraying a goofy looking person is completely off base. That, to me, is staggering.

A goofy looking person?  I'm not sure if you know this... but Native American's are/were living, breathing, fully functional human beings.  They weren't teletubbies.

Chief Wahoo has stereotypical imagery of Native American's, including red color skin, which was a derogatory term for the Native American's.  As previously mentioned, the United State government sponsored and encouraged US American's to pillage, loot, and murder Native American's in order to force them off their land.  The land that the Native American's discovered, cultivated, founded their civilizations on, made memories, and raised their family on, in order to fulfill the notion of American Manifest Destiny.

In other words, the governing body, who was founded on "Liberty and justice for All," sponsored the stripping of liberty and promoted injustice towards the Native's without repercussion.  In other words, heinous acts were perpetrated against a group of people with the support and backing of the Government.  ALL AGAINST THEIR WILL.

If the Padres logo had molestation/child imagery on it, it would echo the same principals.  Catholic Priests perpetrated heinous, unspeakable acts against defenseless children.  ALL AGAINST THEIR WILL.  The governing body (read: Catholic Church), chose to ignore them and cover them up.

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

We Italians are not an oppressed people in the United States.

So a figure such as Mario, had it existed in the 1890s or the 1910s, might have been an example of racial hatred, and therefore comparable to Chief Wahoo.  But, because it was created in the 1980s, it carries no weight of perpetuating the dehumanisation and the mockery of an oppressed group.

Riight. So that justifies making fun of a certain ethnicity then right? Because Italians aren't oppressed and we are considered white  that makes us fair game to be ridiculed and made fun of? I tell you when someone tries to justify racism towards a certain race or ethnicity it makes it even more offensive to me.

The Catch of the Day!

I think some of you guys are crazy. All I see in this logo is a cartoon Indian that is colored red. It's funny that there are Non-Indians arguing with other non-Indians that an Indian logo is offensive lol. Yea, Im sure some Indians don't like the name but I bet you a lot of actual Indians do like it. Let them decide, its not our decision. 

You don't have to be of native descent to know that a caricature of a Native American with red skin is racist. It's no different from blackface.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

35 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

A goofy looking person?  I'm not sure if you know this... but Native American's are/were living, breathing, fully functional human beings.  They weren't teletubbies.

Yes, and I'm one of them. My grandmother was born on the Apache Indian reservation in Benson Arizona so I know well that WE are fully functional human beings.

People from all over see the Indians and Chief Wahoo as whatever they want to. 

For me, growing up in Tucson AZ in the late 80s early 90s, the Indians were practically our team. I remember every spring practically living at Hi Corbett Field rocking my Indians shirt and Chief Wahoo hat. But again, I am thankful to grow up in a time where everyone wasn't offended by each and everything they saw or heard, and just enjoyed the game of baseball. 

DLWatt.png

Archived