infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 6

infrared41

Anyone notice what happened after I almost mentioned the Ravens black pants last week? Anyway...

Week six featured more than it's fair share of ruined match ups. In no particular order, Buffalo, Green Bay, Baltimore, and a few other teams destroyed what would have been great uniform match ups. (more on that later) Despite the effort by those teams to ruin the week, we still had some good match ups as well as a repeat performance of last year's overall winner. The Color Rush game may have been the best "Close, but no cigar..." game yet. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. Comments are always welcome. Do your best to ignore the pink. Let's get things started.

Close, but no cigar...

1. Broncos - Chargers: There was an awful lot to like in this game. Both teams should use the Color Rush uniforms in this game as the starting point for great new uniforms. We'll start with the Broncos: The retro logo and striping pattern on the current helmet looked fantastic. It's a huge upgrade over "robo-horse" and the dated tapered stripes. Denver's Color Rush jersey is another huge upgrade over the weird stripes, FFFS, and panel filled nonsense the team currently wears. Long story short, this uniform is a white jersey, a blue alt,  and a white pair of pants away from being one of the best looks in football. Here's hoping the powers that be liked the Broncos uniform as much as I did. 

On to the Chargers: Loved the helmet. A nice upgrade from the current "doesn't know what it wants to be" helmet. I thought the yellow face mask worked really well. Loved the color scheme. The Fouts-era blue really worked. I think the current number font looked good with this set.  Unfortunately, the trip back to the Fouts era didn't include the shoulder or pants stripes and that's where this look feoll short. But like the Broncos, the Chargers certainly have a great starting point for a new look with this Color Rush set. Fix the shoulder and pants stripes, add both gold and white pants, and we've got ourselves another winner. The only thing keeping this game off the best list is the monochrome. There was just way too much blue and way too much orange. That said, I think this game was easily the best looking Color Rush game so far. 

Broncos%203.jpgBroncos%202.jpg

2. Browns - Titans: I'm just going to go ahead and say it - I really like the Browns all white combo. Sue me. B) Had the Titans simply worn white pants with the navy blue jersey (their best look), this game is on the best list.  

Browns.jpg

Best:

1. Chiefs - Raiders: Two fantastic uniforms. Every game should look this good. What else needs to be said? 

Chiefs.jpg

2. Colts - Texans: Last week, I talked about how certain match ups are better when one team goes with all white instead of white over color. This game is a perfect example of all white being the better choice. Granted, the Colts no longer have blue pants, but imagine if they did and they had worn them in this game. This game wouldn't have looked as good. There are certain color match ups where one dark color needs all the room to "breathe." Good looking game and a great helmet match up. 

Colts.jpg

3. Philadelphia - Washington: Another game where I think the Eagles in all white would have been the better choice. The burgundy and gold emphasizes how poorly the green matches the colors here. (or something like that) Oh well, at least the burgundy pants are back on the shelf for a week. 

Eagles.jpg

4. Rams - Lions: Not a bad looking game at all. The rams could stand to lose that gold, but other than that...

Rams.jpg

Before we get to this week's worst, I'd like to take a second to do a list of the teams that ruined what should have been great match ups. 

1. Green Bay Packers: That throwback is awful and it ruined a match up with the Cowboys. Wear that thing against Tampa or Cincinnati or something.

2. Buffalo Bills: Mono-blue against the 49ers road uniforms. Thanks for ruining that one, Bills.

3. Baltimore Ravens: I'll take the blame on this one. I made the mistake of almost mentioning those awful black pants and voila!, the black pants return the following week. The Ravens in all white vs. the Giants would have looked really good. 

4. New Orleans Saints: Can't really blame the Saints for doing what they do best which is consistently picking their worst combo when they play teams with good looking uniforms.

Worst:

Falcons - Seahawks: Yuck. 

Falcons.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Best:

1. Chiefs - Raiders: Two fantastic uniforms. Every game should look this good. What else needs to be said? 

Chiefs.jpg

On natural grass too! Imagine that! What a treat it is to see mud/dirt/grass stains these days!

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

2. Browns - Titans: I'm just going to go ahead and say it - I really like the Browns all white combo. Sue me. B) Had the Titans simply worn white pants with the navy blue jersey (their best look), this game is on the best list.  

Browns.jpg

you are not alone while I hate the browns current uniforms their all whites are to me more than tolerable

4 hours ago, jp1409 said:

I would be willing to pay to make sure the Bills never wear mono-blue ever again...

and I would be willing to pay for the Bills to manufacture and wear white socks with the blue pants when wearing the white jerseys, with striping in the center of the white socks that match the sleeve striping.

Agree 100% about the mono-blue, just dreadful on a traditional looking uniform set like Buffalo's.

Just now, ARTnSocal said:

and I would be willing to pay for the Bills to manufacture and wear white socks with the blue pants when wearing the white jerseys, with striping in the center of the white socks that match the sleeve striping.

Agree 100% about the mono-blue, just dreadful on a traditional looking uniform set like Buffalo's.

Red socks solve a lot of problems. 

Also would love to see the bills go the France route. Blue jersey white pants red socks. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

7 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

I'm sure someone here will be able to answer but I'm pretty sure they have/had some.

9 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

I'm sure someone here will be able to answer but I'm pretty sure they have/had some.

9 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

The Bills had the white socks in the 1st year of the back to tradition uniform change in Reeboks last season back in 2011 but they mysteriously disappeared around mid-season. These were most likely meant for the blue pants that didn't premier that season.

Blue pants weren't broken out in the initial season of the uniform change but these would go great with the current blue pants, minus one stripe too many on the socks.

Image result for bills at chiefs 2011

I'd go red/blue/white/red at home, and then red/white/blue/red as one road option and red/white/white/blue as the other, depending on contrast with the home team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

you are not alone while I hate the browns current uniforms their all whites are to me more than tolerable

It really is frustrating. To me the orange and white jerseys are so close to being great. But they completely blew it on the brown homes with orange numbers. 

Yeah those brown jerseys in all honesty along with the rest of the browns set could use a couple of tweaks then they would actually have a solid look but for now I think they have the same problem as the bucs what could have been a good set is ruined by tiny design flaws

11 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

The Bills had the white socks in the 1st year of the back to tradition uniform change in Reeboks last season back in 2011 but they mysteriously disappeared around mid-season. These were most likely meant for the blue pants that didn't premier that season.

Blue pants weren't broken out in the initial season of the uniform change but these would go great with the current blue pants, minus one stripe too many on the socks.

Image result for bills at chiefs 2011

The problem with these is that, if memory serves me, they are meant to match the blue socks (see below) but with a white block at the top to break up all of the blue.  However, instead of looking like two white stripes on a blue background, it translates as three blue stripes on a white background . . . which is one stripe too many compared to the sleeves and the blue socks.

Tyrod-Taylor-Buffalo-Bills-Quarterback-M

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

5 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

No wordmarks and no contrasting stitching would do wonders.

I'm fine with the stitching because it doesn't really stand out, but yes change the numbers to white with either a orange outline or nothing at all. Run the pant stripe all the way to the endge and taper the chest stripes back to the sleeves. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm gonna disagree on the Titans.  I think White/Columbia/White is their best look, like they wore against Miami last week.  I would hope any possible re-brand for next season would emphasize columbia rather than navy.

I thought the Cowboy and Packers game look nice. Nothing like seeing royal blue and navy blue in contrast of the second colors being silver green and athletic gold respectfully.

Image result for 2016 Packers vs Cowboys

Beautiful colors, beautiful game. Eye catching too. I thought the royal blue and silver green contrast well with the navy blue, athletic gold, and yuck (khaki)!

Reminds me of,

Image result for 1970's Rams vs Cowboys

Archived