Retro Branding in Sports Study - Help us learn about retro brands

zscola37

Hey everyone, I am trying to gather data on what makes up a retro brand in sports. And I decided this group would be best to gather information from because you are all interested in logos and have knowledge about logos. So if you would take the time to answer the three questions below I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.

By posting on this message board thread you are agreeing to take part in a research project. Anything you post can be used in a study on retro branding in sport, but any of your personal information (name, username, etc.) will not be connected to the post. This study is in place to learn more about fans perceptions of retro brands, and the participation in this study should cause no harm or stress. It is possible, however, with an open forum and internet communication, that through intent or accident someone other than the intended recipient may see your response. Your identifiable information will not be shared unless (a) it is required by law or university policy, or (b) you give written permission. If you post on this thread and later decide you prefer what you have posted to not be a part of a study, please email: scola.zach@ku.edu and we will remove any of your posts from our research. Thank you and if you have any questions about your participation in this study please email me at the email above. If you have any questions about your rights as a research participant, you may call the Human Subjects Protection Office at 785.864.7429 or email irb.ku.edu

Please answer the following questions regarding the uniform pictured below:

1. Do you consider this uniform to be retro? If so, what elements of the logo and uniform make it retro? If not, why don't you consider it retro?

2. What comes to mind when you see this uniform? And how does this uniform make you feel?

3. Does looking at this uniform make you connect to a time in the past? If so, how does it connect you to that time?

4. When you consider a jersey or logo to be retro, does it have to fall in a specific time frame? Or what common elements make something retro to you?

retro Pats uni.jpg

I'll bite.

1. Do you consider this uniform to be retro? YES If so, what elements of the logo and uniform make it retro? It is not so much the elements, but the fact that this is WHAT WAS WORN BY THAT TEAM FROM ABOUT 25 YEARS  AGO TO ALMOST 50 YEARS AGO.  This includes the color scheme (red jersey; no use of silver), helmet logo, and striping pattern.  If not, why don't you consider it retro?

2. What comes to mind when you see this uniform? Super Bowl XX, my youth, how much better uniforms looked back thenAnd how does this uniform make you feel? Old, wise, sort of sad.

3. Does looking at this uniform make you connect to a time in the past? Absolutely. It makes me connect  to the entire time BEFORE THEY CHANGED THE UNIFORM in the early 1990s.  If so, how does it connect you to that time? In a positive way-- "this was how things looked back in the good old days (before they added unnecessary silver and a stupid flying Elvis logo)"

4. When you consider a jersey or logo to be retro, does it have to fall in a specific time frame? No, it can be anything older than 10 or so years. Or what common elements make something retro to you? In general, I think you have to either (1) have experienced the time period of the retro item, or (2) have some knowledge of logo/uniform history to consider an item as "retro".

That being said, there are some indicators of elements that may be able to show the uninitiated that something is "retro":

1. Use of brighter colors and a wider color palette, particularly for baseball teams, indicate an earlier time frame around when color TV was becoming more prevalent in homes (late 60s/70s).

2. Old-fashioned, line drawing, "editorial cartoon" looking logos usually indicate an earlier retro look, such as from the 60s or before.  Especially when a cartoon drawing mascot has a toothy grimace of determination. 

3. Certain fonts used in logos or nameplates can indicate or "date" something to a specific past time frame, and thus as "retro".

4. Though not necessarily geared towards consumer items, cut and style of clothing/uniforms can indicate something as retro-- for example pullover baseball jerseys indicate the 70s and up to mid 80s, football sleeves being longer are "retro", basketball shorts being shorter are "retro", etc.

2 hours ago, zscola37 said:

Hey everyone, I am trying to gather data on what makes up a retro brand in sports. And I decided this group would be best to gather information from because you are all interested in logos and have knowledge about logos. So if you would take the time to answer the three questions below I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.

By posting on this message board thread you are agreeing to take part in a research project. Anything you post can be used in a study on retro branding in sport, but any of your personal information (name, username, etc.) will not be connected to the post. This study is in place to learn more about fans perceptions of retro brands, and the participation in this study should cause no harm or stress. It is possible, however, with an open forum and internet communication, that through intent or accident someone other than the intended recipient may see your response. Your identifiable information will not be shared unless (a) it is required by law or university policy, or (b) you give written permission. If you post on this thread and later decide you prefer what you have posted to not be a part of a study, please email: scola.zach@ku.edu and we will remove any of your posts from our research. Thank you and if you have any questions about your participation in this study please email me at the email above. If you have any questions about your rights as a research participant, you may call the Human Subjects Protection Office at 785.864.7429 or email irb.ku.edu

1. Do you consider this uniform to be retro? YES If so, what elements of the logo and uniform make it retro?The fact that it hasnt been worn as their uniform in decades.  If not, why don't you consider it retro?

2. What comes to mind when you see this uniform? Steve Grogan and getting torched in the Super Bowl by the '85 Bears. And how does this uniform make you feel? Nostalgic for a time when the Pats were actually underdogs. 

3. Does looking at this uniform make you connect to a time in the past? If so, how does it connect you to that time? Yes, mentioned above. 

4. When you consider a jersey or logo to be retro, does it have to fall in a specific time frame? Or what common elements make something retro to you? I think it's got to have been out of use for a decent period of time, maybe like 10 years or more. It can also contain style/design elements that havent been used in the league in a long time as well. 

retro Pats uni.jpg

2 hours ago, zscola37 said:

1. Do you consider this uniform to be retro? If so, what elements of the logo and uniform make it retro? If not, why don't you consider it retro?

Yes, because its simple style looks like something out of the 60s.

2. What comes to mind when you see this uniform? And how does this uniform make you feel?

It makes me think of Old-time football, where everyone was covered in Mud at the end of the game, and everything was big and baggy

3. Does looking at this uniform make you connect to a time in the past? If so, how does it connect you to that time?

Yes, roughly the 60s to the 80s...

4. When you consider a jersey or logo to be retro, does it have to fall in a specific time frame? Or what common elements make something retro to you?

The specific time frame is not now or in the past few years... Common elements would be any jersey or logo not part of the current branding.

retro Pats uni.jpg

Yeah, I don't know exactly what your trying to do here, like if this is some kind of study, but here's the definition of retro from Merriam-Webster

"Looking like or relating to styles or fashions from the past"

Anything that fits that is retro...

(Also my answers are above in green)

46 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

Didn't the last two or three threads like this get locked up?

The previous attempts at this study were a bit vague. The multiple threads also gave the impression of spamming.

The people behind the study have agreed to keep it contained to one thread, and to be clear about their intentions.

Everything in this thread seems to be on the up and up.

6 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The previous attempts at this study were a bit vague. The multiple threads also gave the impression of spamming.

The people behind the study have agreed to keep it contained to one thread, and to be clear about their intentions.

Everything in this thread seems to be on the up and up.

I'd be more ready to agree if the disclaimer text wasn't 4-point font. That never engenders good feelings from me.

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I'd be more ready to agree if the disclaimer text wasn't 4-point font. That never engenders good feelings from me.

I don't see how faceless identities can agree to take part in anything other than fantasy.

By posting on this message board thread you are agreeing to take part in a research project. Anything you post can be used in a study on retro branding in sport, but any of your personal information (name, username, etc.) will not be connected to the post. 

Is you me?

Or the person using any account, or maybe it's chris himself?

This poll is as bad as Sports Teams wanting people to design them something for free.

17 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I apologize if that was off putting. I made it small font because I was basically telling the readers that anything they posted in this open forum could be taken (which as users probably realize this is always the case) for a study. I did not want to make the post look incredibly big or long, I was not at all trying to be deceiving, and I apologize if it came off that way. That being said if anyone is willing to give me some feedback I'd appreciate it. This group was selected because I am intentionally trying to get a sample of people who know about logos, cold sampling would not be an effective way to generate responses. Thanks!

18 hours ago, dont care said:

Also posting in a forum like this creates a lot of bias when talking about a subject like this. I assume who ever this is is essentially trying to get do this study for a paper to get an easy confirmation bias that he is looking for.

I'd like to think gather data from educated users is not bias, it is in fact purposive sampling. Cold surveys would not be effective because if someone has no understanding of logos, they will not have the ability to form an opinion. I appreciate your concern with the methods though. If you have the time I would also appreciate your input.

On 10/20/2016 at 10:19 AM, B-Rich said:

I'll bite.

1. Do you consider this uniform to be retro? YES If so, what elements of the logo and uniform make it retro? It is not so much the elements, but the fact that this is WHAT WAS WORN BY THAT TEAM FROM ABOUT 25 YEARS  AGO TO ALMOST 50 YEARS AGO.  This includes the color scheme (red jersey; no use of silver), helmet logo, and striping pattern.  If not, why don't you consider it retro?

2. What comes to mind when you see this uniform? Super Bowl XX, my youth, how much better uniforms looked back thenAnd how does this uniform make you feel? Old, wise, sort of sad.

3. Does looking at this uniform make you connect to a time in the past? Absolutely. It makes me connect  to the entire time BEFORE THEY CHANGED THE UNIFORM in the early 1990s.  If so, how does it connect you to that time? In a positive way-- "this was how things looked back in the good old days (before they added unnecessary silver and a stupid flying Elvis logo)"

4. When you consider a jersey or logo to be retro, does it have to fall in a specific time frame? No, it can be anything older than 10 or so years. Or what common elements make something retro to you? In general, I think you have to either (1) have experienced the time period of the retro item, or (2) have some knowledge of logo/uniform history to consider an item as "retro".

That being said, there are some indicators of elements that may be able to show the uninitiated that something is "retro":

1. Use of brighter colors and a wider color palette, particularly for baseball teams, indicate an earlier time frame around when color TV was becoming more prevalent in homes (late 60s/70s).

2. Old-fashioned, line drawing, "editorial cartoon" looking logos usually indicate an earlier retro look, such as from the 60s or before.  Especially when a cartoon drawing mascot has a toothy grimace of determination. 

3. Certain fonts used in logos or nameplates can indicate or "date" something to a specific past time frame, and thus as "retro".

4. Though not necessarily geared towards consumer items, cut and style of clothing/uniforms can indicate something as retro-- for example pullover baseball jerseys indicate the 70s and up to mid 80s, football sleeves being longer are "retro", basketball shorts being shorter are "retro", etc.

I greatly appreciate your detailed response. Have any of your teams used "retro" uniforms lately? Do you find it effective, as in do you like it? I always wonder what people feel about their specific teams using retro brands and what aspects of the usage have positive outcomes.

On 10/20/2016 at 10:35 AM, chcarlson23 said:

Yeah, I don't know exactly what your trying to do here, like if this is some kind of study, but here's the definition of retro from Merriam-Webster

"Looking like or relating to styles or fashions from the past"

Anything that fits that is retro...

(Also my answers are above in green)

Thank you for the response! I am curious about your favorite teams. Do you teams utilize any retro uniforms or merchandise? And if so, how do you feel about it when your teams use retro uniforms/merchandise?

1 hour ago, zscola37 said:

I appreciate you answering those questions. I was wondering what specific elements besides being a uniform that is no longer worn makes it retro? 

the style of the jersey: longer sleeves, the material, lack of NFL logos on it, the collar style, the complete striping around the arms. The fit of the jersey is less sleek as well.  All elements you don't see anymore currently (with the exception of Sam Bradford's silly sleeves) 

The old Pats logo was also hand drawn and probably a little "over detailed" compared to it's modern successors.  This is something you saw back in the pre-internet age when things didn't have to pass a test of how they looked on an LED screen. (i.e. the old NFL logo with 25 stars on it (for the no of teams in 1970) getting changed to the new with just 8 (to represent the divisions) 

Archived