Seattle Arena

buckeye

If the NHL is going to insist on a 32nd team, and insist on putting them in the West, I think their best option is Portland, then Seattle, then Milwaukee, Houston, Kansas City, Saskatoon (sarcasm).

None of these strikes me as a no-brainer, based on the current lay of the land, and all have their own unique issues. 

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

If the NHL is going to insist on a 32nd team, and insist on putting them in the West, I think their best option is Portland, then Seattle, then Milwaukee, Houston, Kansas City, Saskatoon (sarcasm).

None of these strikes me as a no-brainer, based on the current lay of the land, and all have their own unique issues. 

Portland is NOT the best option as I stated on page 1.

Move along, please.

PDX, SEA, HOU each have arenas which leases are controlled by the NBA owner. It is Phoenix all over again.

At least with Tampa, Nashville, San Jose, Ottawa, Anaheim and C-bus, the NHL received new venues with lease control.

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Portland is NOT the best option as I stated on page 1.

Move along, please.

PDX, SEA, HOU each have arenas which leases are controlled by the NBA owner. It is Phoenix all over again.

At least with Tampa, Nashville, San Jose, Ottawa, Anaheim and C-bus, the NHL received new venues with lease control.

Leasing options aren't the only considerations, there's also proximity to existing fanbases, number of competing in-market teams, willing potential ownership and city size.

Seattle hasn't even locked in an arena, much less broken ground. That's a huge setback. Plus, the majority of non-transplant locals are 'Nucks fans.

That is not to say Seattle is without merit, but until we get a Seattle arena, Portland is still a better option. Bringing in Allen as a minority owner is easy enough, to secure the lease.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I'd still take my chances with Seattle over Portland. It wouldn't have the highest ceiling, but I don't think the floor is as low as it is in more southern markets. It would have its niche and do okay but never capture the city's imagination. St. Louis by the sea, basically.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It doesn't excuse them leaving in 2008, but Seattle is a much better market now than it was then. Like San Francisco, there's oceans of tech money here that wants to be spent on stuff. Unlike San Francisco, we're actively building new, tall housing -- a lot of it close to the stadium district. (Of course, if SF could move past its insane zoning laws, I'm sure the following construction boom would dwarf ours; as it is there are more cranes in Seattle than any city in the US).

None of this speaks to NHL franchise potential, other than there are more people here now than before and surely some of them like hockey. Plus when it rains being inside is nice.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Paul Allen doesn't want to spend $500 million or more on an expansion team. He would rather get a floundering existing franchise on the cheap. Plus he would have to be the majority owner since I don't see anyone else wanting to put an NHL club in Portland. We have the Blazers, Timbers, college sports and the Hops over in Hillsboro. 

Seattle government is going to kill this arena and I don't understand why.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattle/early-spring-for-seattle-arena-decision-mayor-says/345818758

SEATTLE - Mayor Ed Murray says he's now targeting early spring for a decision on the future of KeyArena and the SoDo Arena proposal.

Murray explained Tuesday the decision to issue a Request for Proposals (RFP) in the wake of a privately financed arena offer from the Chris Hansen-led SoDo group.

"The Hansen group knew we were going to proceed with KeyArena anyway," said Murray about the events of the past week.

He told KING 5 the "SoDo still has a huge hurdle in the council," and that he believes, they want to answer the Seattle Center question first.

"If an entertainment center can work there, we need to know that. If it can't, we need to understand an arena will happen somewhere else," Murray said about the decision to issue the RFP this coming January.

AEG and the Oak View Group, led by former AEG Chair Tim Leiweke have been identified as potential bidders.  Murray said Tuesday, "I don't know much about them, that's why we do an RFP."  But he added, about their interest, "I believe it is in the area of a massive reconstruction, or remodel, but not a complete teardown. But again, we need to see their proposals like we need to see the Hansen group's proposal for SoDo."...

Murray added that the anger over the council's decision last May to reject Hansen's petition for a street vacation has been "incredibly destructive. He added "What happened there, plays off the rather poisonous political discussion on a national level and we have significant work to do to repair that and tell a different story.  Regrettably, a group of fans have done a lot of damage to the larger fan base."

Murray says there is only one thing which may change all of the debate overnight.
"If someone actually has a team and the NBA has changed their mind, I think this gets a lot easier," said Murray, "I think this would quickly solve itself."

The bolded stuff drives me crazy. Some idiot fans called the all-women opposition all the expected insults, and now everyone frustrated with their anti-arena vote gets lumped in with the crazies. It's cowardly, and also incompatible with the maturity you'd hope to see from elected officials. So dumb.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattle/early-spring-for-seattle-arena-decision-mayor-says/345818758

The bolded stuff drives me crazy.

It's simple...AEG is getting involved. AEG operates KeyArena.

Azoff/Leiweke may have more $$$ than Hansen/Nordstrom. They've got more facility management experience.

http://arenadigest.com/2016/10/28/aeg-oak-view-pursuing-key-arena-renovations-mayor/

13 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The bolded stuff drives me crazy. Some idiot fans called the all-women opposition all the expected insults, and now everyone frustrated with their anti-arena vote gets lumped in with the crazies. It's cowardly, and also incompatible with the maturity you'd hope to see from elected officials. So dumb.

It's the same government that was partly culpable when the Sonics left and let $30 million dollars go away.  I don't understand why they're so surprised that fans are pissed off. 

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i'm QB Russel Wilson, and I have DirecTV

And i'm NBA investor Russel Wilson, and I have Cable

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

• 6 months later...

Seattle is going to mess this up. Our outgoing mayor (limited to one term due to a pretty gross sex scandal) is going to announce renovation of Key Arena as the "winner" of a bogus process to....I don't know what exactly.  Story here, though keep in mind the Seattle Times has been stooging for a new Key over the Hansen arena for a year+ now: http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/city-chose-oak-view-group-before-rival-keyarena-bidder-withdrew-documents-show/

The main objection to Hansen has been the Port of Seattle and a needed vacation of an alleyway currently used for limited parking and drug use. The Key is in the middle of a growing residential area with limited transit and no parking access.  Hansen is privately funded; Key Arena requires public funds.

Mayor Murray hasn't learned about sunk costs, so some of his public statements (we need to improve the asset we have) are dumb.

I've seen on Reddit that the NHL is expected to be in attendance at the mayor's announcement. Unless they're announcing a team to begin play in 2019 they should just stay home.

One more thing - the NCAA tournament is in Seattle again in 2019, so no work on the renovation can begin until after. Again, this is all so monstrously stupid.

It would be so like the NHL to be all in on the Key Arena plan instead of Hansen's private arena. They get a foothold in Seattle before a returning Sonics team. Just a unmitigated disaster. I feel bad for Sonics fans and there's no guarantee that fans in Seattle would embrace the NHL.

Seattle would probably have a medium-sized but vigorous fanbase of annoying nerds, but fail to make inroads with normies who just like the Seahawks or maybe Mariners. It would be similar to Raleigh, Nashville, and San Jose, except MLS would be there with annoying nerds of its own.

More for the alternate history board, but I've always been intrigued by the idea of a Seattle NHL team setting up shop around Renton/Tukwila and orienting more toward Tacoma and outlying areas while ceding downtown and the north suburbs to the Supersonics, kind of like a reverse Auburn Hills situation. Not now, obviously, but in the wake of Ackerley pretending to bid for expansion just to crush it.

On 6/7/2017 at 1:27 PM, DG_Now said:

Seattle is going to mess this up. Our outgoing mayor (limited to one term due to a pretty gross sex scandal) is going to announce renovation of Key Arena as the "winner" of a bogus process to....I don't know what exactly.  Story here, though keep in mind the Seattle Times has been stooging for a new Key over the Hansen arena for a year+ now: http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/city-chose-oak-view-group-before-rival-keyarena-bidder-withdrew-documents-show/

The main objection to Hansen has been the Port of Seattle and a needed vacation of an alleyway currently used for limited parking and drug use. The Key is in the middle of a growing residential area with limited transit and no parking access.  Hansen is privately funded; Key Arena requires public funds.

Mayor Murray hasn't learned about sunk costs, so some of his public statements (we need to improve the asset we have) are dumb.

I've seen on Reddit that the NHL is expected to be in attendance at the mayor's announcement. Unless they're announcing a team to begin play in 2019 they should just stay home.

One more thing - the NCAA tournament is in Seattle again in 2019, so no work on the renovation can begin until after. Again, this is all so monstrously stupid.

I lived in Queen Anne and walked to and fro work every day passing Key Arena each way. Was really struck by how the arena is just sort of packed into the neighborhood. It is in close quarters in that area and I couldn't imagine that area during an NBA game. My first thought was "where the hell did people park for Sonics games?"

Made the mistake one time of trying to go to QFC during a Gonzaga game and got stuck in traffic for 20 minutes. An NHL/NBA team would be that times 41 in a part of town that is already bursting at the seams, much moreso than when the Sonics last played there.

SODO makes the most sense because all the transit and parking infrastructure is already there for the other stadia and can handle crowds the size of Seahawks games. One street is keeping this from happening. It's so Seattle. 

On 6/8/2017 at 4:25 PM, the admiral said:

Seattle would probably have a medium-sized but vigorous fanbase of annoying nerds, but fail to make inroads with normies who just like the Seahawks or maybe Mariners. It would be similar to Raleigh, Nashville, and San Jose, except MLS would be there with annoying nerds of its own.

More for the alternate history board, but I've always been intrigued by the idea of a Seattle NHL team setting up shop around Renton/Tukwila and orienting more toward Tacoma and outlying areas while ceding downtown and the north suburbs to the Supersonics, kind of like a reverse Auburn Hills situation. Not now, obviously, but in the wake of Ackerley pretending to bid for expansion just to crush it.

Tukwila or Renton would create some of the same problems the Coyotes have in Glendale and Tacoma doesn't have the population to offset the losses you'd get from Seattle metro population not wanting to drive that far south.

A Tukwila arena would basically be the Richfield Coliseum. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

32 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I lived in Queen Anne and walked to and fro work every day passing Key Arena each way. Was really struck by how the arena is just sort of packed into the neighborhood. It is in close quarters in that area and I couldn't imagine that area during an NBA game. My first thought was "where the hell did people park for Sonics games?"

Made the mistake one time of trying to go to QFC during a Gonzaga game and got stuck in traffic for 20 minutes. An NHL/NBA team would be that times 41 in a part of town that is already bursting at the seams, much moreso than when the Sonics last played there.

Umm - 20 minutes in traffic on game day sounds wonderful.  I'm sure I could be missing more to the story, but if that is the issue, it doesn't seem like much to me.

It's where I sit.

33 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Umm - 20 minutes in traffic on game day sounds wonderful.  I'm sure I could be missing more to the story, but if that is the issue, it doesn't seem like much to me.

Key Arena is in the middle of a maze of city streets in an already congested and residential part of town. Point to that story - I wasn't going to the game, I was trying to go to the grocery store, which was usually a 5 minute trip. If they put the team in SODO where the Seahawks and Mariners play it allows people like me to keep our 5 minute grocery trips without getting trapped in basketball traffic. It's just one reason out of a long list why I'd rather see the new arena in SODO than a renovated Key. 

edit: yeah, I'm talking about a very small distance that took 20 minutes to get through. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think he's talking about the distance of maybe a tenth of a mile. Lower Queen Anne, where Key Arena is, is a pretty small neighborhood that had one main four-lane thoroughfare that's way too small for the traffic it carries.

The OVG group envisions using the Seattle Monorail as a last mile solution to the arena. So while Seattle has a budding light rail system, it only takes you to about a mile and a half away from Key Arena. You can then go four stories in a mall, buy a separate ticket to the Monorail and then get to Seattle Center/Key Arena. It's dumb.

Also, one of the Port of Seattle commisioners owns the Monorail. And the Port is the major reason the Hansen arena is being blocked.

I think it's cool how KeyArena is in a neighborhood and has the Seattle Center grounds right there but I don't suppose I would build a new arena there. I wouldn't build a new baseball stadium where Wrigley Field is, either. It really would have been better to use private money to replace the warehouses and alleys around Safeco and Football Vagina, but I didn't know about all this Port of Seattle/Monorail stuff. Didn't take Seattle for that kind of machine-politics nonsense.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Tukwila or Renton would create some of the same problems the Coyotes have in Glendale and Tacoma doesn't have the population to offset the losses you'd get from Seattle metro population not wanting to drive that far south.

A Tukwila arena would basically be the Richfield Coliseum. 

Yeah, good analogy with Richfield. Ideally you'd get both teams under one roof but it seemed like a good stopgap while waiting for the Sonics to not be dicks (they also specified that the KeyArena renovations wouldn't be NHL-compliant).

Archived