St. Louis Blues Arena New Name

Caleb Woods

More venues should adopt the Lambeau Field model of selling naming rights to entry gates, which has more functional value (oh, I parked in the Budweiser lot and came in through the Pepsi doors), doesn't foster resentment, and doesn't subject the name of the building itself to multiple changes. Forget "Guaranteed Rate Field," I haven't stopped calling it Comiskey Park, because that's what it is. And this is the Kiel Center.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/27/2016 at 3:49 PM, ARTnSocal said:

Yes, it was Buffalo who has now changed the name of the arena for around the 3rd or 4th time since it first opened  20 years ago. At least the Bills stadium was known as 'Rich Stadium' for 25 years which was the length of the naming rights contract between Ralph Wilson and Bob Rich of Rich dairy products that was made in 1973..

No more 'First Niagara Center' ... KeyCorp acquired Niagara Financial Group.

The Sabres home is now known as 'KeyBank Center' ... It's ridiculous trying to keep up with all these name changes for all these sports venues nationwide.  I miss the good old days when the Sabres played at their old arena which was simply known as the 'AUD', derived from the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium..

I remember in the pre-greed days of sport listening to the legendary Dan Kelly say "Welcome, we're at the 'ARENA' in St Louis".  Such a basic name, yet it had it's own identity and we all knew it was in St Louis.  I wish they had kept that name, but ..... $$$$$  money talks more and more these days. Nowadays when you hear the name of the venue, half the time one has no idea what city the venue is tied to..

It's the fifth name in 20 years, if you include the pre-opening "Crossroads Arena".  In sort of a nutshell view of the American banking scene, all four of the names of the arena have ostensibly been the same bank.  Marine Midland was a locally-founded bank that was already owned by HSBC in the mid-90s; the Marine Midland brand was phased out, and the arena changed to HSBC.  Later, HSBC decided to exit the WNY market; First Niagara bought the HSBC branches and the arena naming rights.  Then, Key bought out First Niagara.

I can deal with naming rights if they're tied to the city and last, preferably from inception. "United Center" is fine enough because United is in Chicago and it's always been called that. Then there's [Phone] Park in San Francisco, where you wish a company as enormous as AT&T would just admit they don't need to get their name out there and let it be called Willie Mays Field or something.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I can deal with naming rights if they're tied to the city and last, preferably from inception. "United Center" is fine enough because United is in Chicago and it's always been called that. Then there's [Phone] Park in San Francisco, where you wish a company as enormous as AT&T would just admit they don't need to get their name out there and let it be called Willie Mays Field or something.

I think Philadelphia has it pretty bad.  The CoreStates center really didn't sound bad, and was local, but it's changed far too much since then.  Plus, not only does it have the huge "WELLS FARGO CENTER" sign on it, there's also a Comcast logo just as big.  Plus the parking areas all have corporate names (also with Comcast logos too), and the godsdamned subway station was changed from Pattison Station to AT&T Station.

It's neighbors Citizens Bank Park and Lincoln Financial Field have been consistent (there was a story that Citizes Bank Park would be renamed RBS Citizens park, but that never came to pass) but the former isn't a local company, and while the latter is, I'm not sure how many people know that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Cosmic said:

It's the fifth name in 20 years, if you include the pre-opening "Crossroads Arena".  In sort of a nutshell view of the American banking scene, all four of the names of the arena have ostensibly been the same bank.  Marine Midland was a locally-founded bank that was already owned by HSBC in the mid-90s; the Marine Midland brand was phased out, and the arena changed to HSBC.  Later, HSBC decided to exit the WNY market; First Niagara bought the HSBC branches and the arena naming rights.  Then, Key bought out First Niagara.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the baling rights have only  been sold once to Marine Midland, and the buyouts and mergers and such have been the cause of the changes. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think Philadelphia has it pretty bad.  The CoreStates center really didn't sound bad, and was local, but it's changed far too much since then.  Plus, not only does it have the huge "WELLS FARGO CENTER" sign on it, there's also a Comcast logo just as big.  Plus the parking areas all have corporate names (also with Comcast logos too), and the godsdamned subway station was changed from Pattison Station to AT&T Station.

I used to think "Xfinity Spectrum" would be a good name for the arena, but oh, look what the name of the merged Charter/Time Warner Cable is!

35 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the baling rights have only  been sold once to Marine Midland, and the buyouts and mergers and such have been the cause of the changes. 

Based on this story below, I think HSBC, First Niagara, and the Sabres came to a deal in 2011 to transfer the naming rights and extend the deal at the same time, separately from the purchase of the HSBC branches. I guess it depends on your point of view of that. HSBC still exists, so it's not the same as the Key Bank acquisition of First Niagara. HSBC exited the local retail banking market and didn't want to spend that advertising money anymore, the Sabres got a local bank name again and the security of an extension, and First Niagara got to crow about their acquisition (that ultimately dragged them down and forced them to sell, but whatever).

I do know that HSBC had to sue to get their name on the arena in the first place... Sabres didn't want to change from Marine Midland, even after the Marine Midland Bank name fell out of use.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/home-of-the-sabres-to-be-renamed-first-niagara-center/c-587384

2 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Based on this story below, I think HSBC, First Niagara, and the Sabres came to a deal in 2011 to transfer the naming rights and extend the deal at the same time, separately from the purchase of the HSBC branches. I guess it depends on your point of view of that. HSBC still exists, so it's not the same as the Key Bank acquisition of First Niagara. HSBC exited the local retail banking market and didn't want to spend that advertising money anymore, the Sabres got a local bank name again and the security of an extension, and First Niagara got to crow about their acquisition (that ultimately dragged them down and forced them to sell, but whatever).

I do know that HSBC had to sue to get their name on the arena in the first place... Sabres didn't want to change from Marine Midland, even after the Marine Midland Bank name fell out of use.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/home-of-the-sabres-to-be-renamed-first-niagara-center/c-587384

I think you're right, and it depends on how you read this paragraph.

In connection with First Niagara Bank, N.A.’s acquisition of Upstate New York and Connecticut branches from HSBC Bank USA, N.A., the Buffalo-headquartered regional bank agreed to purchase the naming rights to HSBC Arena, the 18,690-seat home of the hockey club and Western New York’s premier sports and entertainment facility.  

It felt the same, because of all the brances bought out by FNFG/Key but I see your point and am now inclined to agree with it.

My personal thoughts? At the time of his death and the expiration of naming rights, the arena should be turned into the Rick Jeanneret Memorial Arena( or John Richard Jeanneret Memorial Arena if you prefer).

5qWs8RS.png

5 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I think you're right, and it depends on how you read this paragraph.

In connection with First Niagara Bank, N.A.’s acquisition of Upstate New York and Connecticut branches from HSBC Bank USA, N.A., the Buffalo-headquartered regional bank agreed to purchase the naming rights to HSBC Arena, the 18,690-seat home of the hockey club and Western New York’s premier sports and entertainment facility.  

It felt the same, because of all the brances bought out by FNFG/Key but I see your point and am now inclined to agree with it.

My personal thoughts? At the time of his death and the expiration of naming rights, the arena should be turned into the Rick Jeanneret Memorial Arena( or John Richard Jeanneret Memorial Arena if you prefer).

My guess is that the original deal was for 20 years... forgot to put that in above.

I think it's sort of like the Seals-Sharks connection, where you can definitely connect the dots even if it's not officially the way it happened. There were branches that went Marine Midland-HSBC-First Niagara-Key, so I don't think it's a big problem to consider it one deal.

Rick Jeanneret will at least get a statue, but it would be good to see something else, as well. The press box is already named, but the whole arena will probably never happen in this era of corporate names. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Hopefully they'll make a statue where you can sit down next to him and pretend to be his color guy.

23 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

My guess is that the original deal was for 20 years... forgot to put that in above.

I think it's sort of like the Seals-Sharks connection, where you can definitely connect the dots even if it's not officially the way it happened. There were branches that went Marine Midland-HSBC-First Niagara-Key, so I don't think it's a big problem to consider it one deal.

Rick Jeanneret will at least get a statue, but it would be good to see something else, as well. The press box is already named, but the whole arena will probably never happen in this era of corporate names. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Hopefully they'll make a statue where you can sit down next to him and pretend to be his color guy.

I get that it wont, but I am vocal on how much i hate naming rights(prefer jersey ads, to be honest). would be nice for it to, but it wont. or at least like rochester, Keybank arena at Rick Jeanneret Memorial or something like that

5qWs8RS.png

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

More venues should adopt the Lambeau Field model of selling naming rights to entry gates, which has more functional value (oh, I parked in the Budweiser lot and came in through the Pepsi doors), doesn't foster resentment, and doesn't subject the name of the building itself to multiple changes. Forget "Guaranteed Rate Field," I haven't stopped calling it Comiskey Park, because that's what it is. And this is the Kiel Center.

NRG Stadium has corporate sponsored entry gates as well. the only thing without a corporate name in the Texans game day experience is the parking lots.

The local transit authority still has the train station stop labeled as Reliant Stadium as they weren't willing to pay to rebrand the stop just because the stadium sponsorship name changed.

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's neighbors Citizens Bank Park and Lincoln Financial Field have been consistent (there was a story that Citizes Bank Park would be renamed RBS Citizens park, but that never came to pass) but the former isn't a local company, and while the latter is, I'm not sure how many people know that.

Actually if you take out the bank connotations and go with Citizens Park and Lincoln Field you've got two pretty great names.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I find it strange that companies are even willing to spend millions of dollars to put their brand into a name hardly anyone outside of official sources (arena and/or team owners & execs, video games, broadcasters, etc.) even bothers to use...

3 hours ago, FGM13 said:

Actually if you take out the bank connotations and go with Citizens Park and Lincoln Field you've got two pretty great names.

"Citizens' Park" has the added benefit of denoting who paid for the place. Lincoln Field, I dunno, never really associated Abe Lincoln with Philly.

On 10/29/2016 at 5:19 PM, the admiral said:

Most of the major stadiums and arenas in New England have local connections.

TD Garden (granted, TD is Canadian) was originally named Shawmut Center, after Shawmut Bank, HQ in Boston. Before the arena opened, Shawmut was bought out by Fleet Bank, based out of New England (Providence, I think). Still local, as the FleetCenter. Fleet Bank was bought my Bank of America, but the naming rights were eventually sold to TD Bank.

Gillette Stadium: Gillette is headquarted in Boston. Original name was CMGI Field, and CMGI's headquarters was in Waltham, about 15 miles north of Foxboro. Due to the dot-com bust, CMGI couldn't afford the naming rights, and they were sold to Gillette.

DCU Centre, Worcester: Originally opened as the Worcester Centrum, naming rights were sold to Digital (Federal) Credit Union, a locally-based credit union originally formed as the company credit union of Digital Equipment Corporation (remember Digital brand computers?).

Dunkin Donuts Center, Providence: Dunkin Donuts is a New England-based company.

Verizon Wireless Arena, Manchester NH: might have been the only nationally-branded venue in New England. Naming rights were just bought by Southern New Hampshire University, and is now SNHU Arena.

Northeast Delta Dental Stadium, Manchester NH: I think Delta Dental is nationwide, but Northeast Delta Dental covers just northern New England.

Springfield: Mass Mutual Center. Local Insurance company

Portland: Cross Insurance Center. Local insurance company.

Hartford: XL Center. Company has ties to Connecticut.

There may be other smaller ballparks with local ties as well (Dunkin Donuts Park, Webster Bank Arena, etc.) For the most part, corporate naming is locally-based.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

On 10/29/2016 at 2:55 PM, the admiral said:

I'd love this idea. However, you'd never get large corporations on board since those would never be uttered by broadcasters and shown in video games, etc.  In effect, all you'd be advertising to are the attendees, which leagues by and large seem to care less about these days.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Archived